Connolly to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluefox said:
Having watched his non performance against Luton, Wigan are welcolme to DC.

That's extremely harsh. Very difficult for a player to get anything when never being given the ball, unless you count long ball hoofs. He was bering marked by a defender twice his size and we never gave him the ball on the floor for god's sake!

SilverFox said:
And that is exactly what Forest thought. We aren't 'too big' to go down! We don't have a God given right to be playing in this league either!

Lets not get complacent about our own abilities here. We have played well enough, but its points on the board and goals in the net that matter at the end of the day.

I never said we are 'too big' to go down.

I do feel that if you look through the squad that there is enough quality to ensure survival. I also believe that CL is a sound manager.

However, this has not been the debate on this forum - before the season I read contributions from wide cross section of posters speculating on promotion. I wondered then how anyone could imagine that a down sized squad with an intake of lots of new players mainly SPL 'frees' constructed as a cost cutting exercise was going to gel and then achieve this feat.

Finally, no side that has achieved 6 points from 6 games - could possibly " have played well enough". What i think you may mean is that the side tries to pass the ball more - but it can't be the ref's fault or bad luck in every game - the bottom line is that the downward trend now extends for over two seasons - and the corner has not yet been turned.

Redditch Fox said:
I never said we are 'too big' to go down.

I do feel that if you look through the squad that there is enough quality to ensure survival. I also believe that CL is a sound manager.

However, this has not been the debate on this forum - before the season I read contributions from wide cross section of posters speculating on promotion. I wondered then how anyone could imagine that a down sized squad with an intake of lots of new players mainly SPL 'frees' constructed as a cost cutting exercise was going to gel and then achieve this feat.

Finally, no side that has achieved 6 points from 6 games - could possibly " have played well enough". What i think you may mean is that the side tries to pass the ball more - but it can't be the ref's fault or bad luck in every game - the bottom line is that the downward trend now extends for over two seasons - and the corner has not yet been turned.

I think one of the things that will help us turn that corner is when a few players start coming through from the Youth Academy which seems to have been badly neglected over the past 4-5 Seasons.We cannot afford to buy Top Class players anymore so IMO it is vital that we bring our own Players through the 'Ranks',as in the case of Stearman and Wesolowski.Only trouble is this could well take 2-3 years to come to fruition,its having to be virtually started again from Scratch.

Firstly I would be very surprised if Wigan agree to pay 3.5m for Connolly even knowing how desperate they are to sign 2 strikers before tomorrow night, I think this is Leicester's way of maximising the transfer fee, this way when the fee is agreed it is likely to be in the middle ground. So I think we will recieve a fee in the region of 1.75m up front with additional add on's based on goals / appearances and Wigan's ability to stay up, I reckon the whole package will be in the region of 2m.

I would not be too disappointed if this deal did go through, and I certainly would imagine that replacements and additional signings will have been lined up and already in place once this deal is finalised. My only concern would be that CL is given at least 75% of the transfer fee to reinvest, and if by selling Connolly, who on his own will not win us promotion, will then enable CL to bring in 3 or 4 new players who will strengthen us significantly then it makes good sense.

At the end of the day Connolly is one player, he could pick up a serious injury and we would be knackered, we are not in a position to go out and spend large sums of money, and whilst we have a player who is wanted for decent money we should cash in, as long as the money is reinvested for the long term benefit of Leicester City.

I also believe that if CL was given a significant transfer budget to bring in 3 or 4 players, he would spend the money very wisely. The majority of his signings have been decent and this is bearing in mind the tight financial constraints we are operating under.

People who said Connolly may lead us to the play offs or promotion, may well end up right in a perverse way, I truly believe that if this deal goes through it could well be the turning point for this club. Remember when MON with money went out and signed Lennon, Claridge, Izzet and Watts, this was a massive turning point for our club, and hopefully we have a similar opportunity if Connolly is sold to go out and sign real quality.

if 3.5mill is offered take it, even if no replacement until january.

end of the day what we have learnt is we can become midfield stars passing it around like brazil, but if you dant take your chances it all means nothing, and the way we conceding set pieces at the moment we need some more strikers. 3.5 million will allow us that. The problem now is the best ones that were on the market are now taken up and so craig has little time and options. But I would expect a minimum of 2 strikers, and a left sided player out the money and if their is enough left over why not a 3rd striker making us spoilt for choice.

According to the rivals site, a poster from Watford has it on good authority from their club physio that Connolly will move back to Vicarage Road tomorrow, according to this poster its a done deal.

I guess we will be all put out of our misery tomorrow, by 12 midnight we will know whether all these rumours were just that or we may well be waving goodbye to Connors and welcoming 2, 3 or even 4 new signings.

Tomorrow will be an exciting day.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
According to the rivals site, a poster from Watford has it on good authority from their club physio that Connolly will move back to Vicarage Road tomorrow, according to this poster its a done deal.

I guess we will be all put out of our misery tomorrow, by 12 midnight we will know whether all these rumours were just that or we may well be waving goodbye to Connors and welcoming 2, 3 or even 4 new signings.

why would he want to move back to Watford? Surely he has as much, if not more chance of moving up a league with us rather than Watford. I know they are doing well at the moment but I cant see it as a step up for him. Its more of a sideways step really.

fcukcov said:
why would he want to move back to Watford? Surely he has as much, if not more chance of moving up a league with us rather than Watford. I know they are doing well at the moment but I cant see it as a step up for him. Its more of a sideways step really.

I have seen rumours that Elton John would personally bankroll Nugent to go to Watford. He might do the same for an ex-hero. ;)

Steven said:
I have seen rumours that Elton John would personally bankroll Nugent to go to Watford. He might do the same for an ex-hero. ;)

Are you sure it said bankroll and not something involving a roll on his bed?;)

fcukcov said:
Are you sure it said bankroll and not something involving a roll on his bed?;)

Isn't Elton John, "happily married" ? :icon_eek: :102: ;)

Steven said:
Isn't Elton John, "happily married" ? :icon_eek: :102: ;)

not yet they wont let him.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Firstly I would be very surprised if Wigan agree to pay 3.5m for Connolly even knowing how desperate they are to sign 2 strikers before tomorrow night, I think this is Leicester's way of maximising the transfer fee, this way when the fee is agreed it is likely to be in the middle ground. So I think we will recieve a fee in the region of 1.75m up front with additional add on's based on goals / appearances and Wigan's ability to stay up, I reckon the whole package will be in the region of 2m.

I would not be too disappointed if this deal did go through, and I certainly would imagine that replacements and additional signings will have been lined up and already in place once this deal is finalised. My only concern would be that CL is given at least 75% of the transfer fee to reinvest, and if by selling Connolly, who on his own will not win us promotion, will then enable CL to bring in 3 or 4 new players who will strengthen us significantly then it makes good sense.

At the end of the day Connolly is one player, he could pick up a serious injury and we would be knackered, we are not in a position to go out and spend large sums of money, and whilst we have a player who is wanted for decent money we should cash in, as long as the money is reinvested for the long term benefit of Leicester City.

I also believe that if CL was given a significant transfer budget to bring in 3 or 4 players, he would spend the money very wisely. The majority of his signings have been decent and this is bearing in mind the tight financial constraints we are operating under.

People who said Connolly may lead us to the play offs or promotion, may well end up right in a perverse way, I truly believe that if this deal goes through it could well be the turning point for this club. Remember when MON with money went out and signed Lennon, Claridge, Izzet and Watts, this was a massive turning point for our club, and hopefully we have a similar opportunity if Connolly is sold to go out and sign real quality.

Spot on. Great post. As someone else mentioned I almost want this rumour to be true now. Sadly I still don't think it is, and after tomorrow we'll be just reflecting on the same dull squad we had before. ;)

PFKAKTF FOX said:

Can't see that happening, and not sure I'd want it to. Surely Watford don't have much money do they?

Tomorrow should be interesting. I'll be on here all day looking for news ;)

I think if we accept anything less than £1.5m, it's not a great deal, but I'd probably take anything above that.
If Connolly does leave tomorrow, and we don't get a replacement in, then the club have made a terrible mistake, which I hope doesn't happen.

For the record, I'm going to say that I wouldn't be unhappy in the slightest if Connolly did leave tomorrow (as long as we got a suitable replacement), but I don't think any of these rumours are going to come true. We'll find out within the next 23, but I think Connolly will still be here at the end of that ;)

PFKAKTF FOX said:

I'd agree with all that except I can't believe that anyone would pay more than £1.5m for a useful but hardly exceptional striker.

As suggested elsewhere above, surely by now most supporters will be able to come to terms with the reality that turning round Leicester City is a two seasons (at least) project.

I think that the club should go some way towards acknowledging that in order to provide CL with some space to work towards longer term goals. That stance would also make it easier to introduce youngsters into the side without the pressure that somehow we were missing out on being involved in a play offs seeking situation.

Redditch Fox said:
I'd agree with all that except I can't believe that anyone would pay more than £1.5m for a useful but hardly exceptional striker.

As suggested elsewhere above, surely by now most supporters will be able to come to terms with the reality that turning round Leicester City is a two seasons (at least) project.

I think that the club should go some way towards acknowledging that in order to provide CL with some space to work towards longer term goals. That stance would also make it easier to introduce youngsters into the side without the pressure that somehow we were missing out on being involved in a play offs seeking situation.

Thats all well and good for us fans that know something about football and the state of our club. But for the fickle un-intelligents, we should already be in the top half of the prem. i just hope the board don't listen to them and give CL a good season or so at least, i don't want to see him sacked this season no matter what, unless we are on the brink of relegation. as long as we improve from last year i'll be content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669