Costs to get in at football matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always an interesting article, the BBC have printed the costs of going to see live football around the country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29527838

We hold up reasonably well by todays prices.

I was interested to see what difference inflation had made to the cost of entry t the ground, since I first started going regularly.

Based on the cost of getting into Pen 3 in 1973 (£0.45p), it should be only £5.19 to get into a similar part of the ground today. Admittedly much has changed, seating, taxation and so on, but even allowing for all that it seems a major difference.

Inflation calculator used is here http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

My concern is if it continues like this and costs to fans increase at the same year to year rate, football could implode on itself. Am I right to be concerned? :icon_frow:icon_frow

Always an interesting article, the BBC have printed the costs of going to see live football around the country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29527838

We hold up reasonably well by todays prices.

I was interested to see what difference inflation had made to the cost of entry t the ground, since I first started going regularly.

Based on the cost of getting into Pen 3 in 1973 (£0.45p), it should be only £5.19 to get into a similar part of the ground today. Admittedly much has changed, seating, taxation and so on, but even allowing for all that it seems a major difference.

Inflation calculator used is here http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

My concern is if it continues like this and costs to fans increase at the same year to year rate, football could implode on itself. Am I right to be concerned? :icon_frow:icon_frow

Ive got no concern on it imploding. If it happens then it serves the ****ers right for taking the piss for so long. Fans shouldn't pay the prices and there may be some change...will never happen though.

I personally think it's now got to the point where the fans need to stand up and accept some of the responsibility.

Everybody moans about this and yet the Premier League clubs are all able to turn around and quite correctly show the sold out attendances they achieve each and every week.

This weeks bunch of ****wits are Swansea Fc, who think they are doing everyone a massive favour by charging the supposed insignificant fee of £25 for a game being shown live on Sky. They are publicising it as though they are doing everyone an unbelievable act of charity.

The sad thing is that from a financial point of view, very few Premier League teams need bums on seats.

I personally think it's now got to the point where the fans need to stand up and accept some of the responsibility.

Everybody moans about this and yet the Premier League clubs are all able to turn around and quite correctly show the sold out attendances they achieve each and every week.

This weeks bunch of ****wits are Swansea Fc, who think they are doing everyone a massive favour by charging the supposed insignificant fee of £25 for a game being shown live on Sky. They are publicising it as though they are doing everyone an unbelievable act of charity.

The sad thing is that from a financial point of view, very few Premier League teams need bums on seats.

Exactly. It's the same as the numpties who moan about playersalaries and the transfer fees then tune in religiously to watch sky sports and the champions league.

Said this on repeat occasion. You can't complain about kick-off times and ticket prices when you have fed the machine paying Sky television and attending game after game.

Also all the talk of it's cheaper than Europe! That Alferton is more expensive than Barca and Real is a total myth. You try getting a ticket for less than £18 to watch those teams play at home! I suspect you need a membership to even have a chance of buying a ticket at that price.

Last edited:
Also all the talk of it's cheaper than Europe! That Alferton is more expensive than Barca and Real is a total myth. You try getting a ticket for less than £18 to watch those teams play at home! I suspect you need a membership to even have a chance of buying a ticket at that price.
Yeah, ridiculous. The top teams in La Liga are as expensive to watch as any team in Premier League, in my experience. They have bigger stadiums though, so easier to get a ticket at face value.

Also seems like it's a poor comparison in that some season tickets, such as Arsenal's, include seven cup games while others don't.

Last edited:
That 'calculator' is shit. It asks you how much you paid for your season ticket then tells you how much your season ticket cost.

That 'calculator' is shit. It asks you how much you paid for your season ticket then tells you how much your season ticket cost.

Although I agree, it does exactly what a calculator should do. You put in the numbers and it tells you the sum.

Yeah, ridiculous. The top teams in La Liga are as expensive to watch as any team in Premier League, in my experience. They have bigger stadiums though, so easier to get a ticket at face value.

Also seems like it's a poor comparison in that some season tickets, such as Arsenal's, include seven cup games while others don't.

Dortmund is a club commonly cited as a 'cheap place' to visit; well it cost me £35 for a ticket in the family section. That's for a Friday night against fair to middling opposition. You need to have availability to a computer and free time on a Monday morning to even attempt getting a ticket. If you can't get one there, you either pay for a package, go in the away end or spend a big amount in a package.

If you are a member, it's completely different - but that means constant visits etc. to even get a chance.

German football can be celebrated for a lot of things - but the pricing of its tickets is a myth to an extent. Unless you fancy watching one of the clubs such as Leverkusen or Hoffenheim or Wolfsburg whose success is funded by a massive company and therefore the city/town is not even large enough to fill the stadium, or alternatively you go watch the likes of Berlin in a massive stadium...you just don't get access to the cheaper tickets.

I'd say there is some real value at Bundesliga 2 though in comparison to the Championship here.

I've not checked the math but I reckon it's probably still a bit cheaper for me to get a ticket and travel to Newcastle on Saturday than it would be to go and watch a game in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566