Cov Arrears

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACL saying that the above is a load of bollox.

Does make you realise that things could be much worse and be a Coventry fan!

Probably bollocks but I saw on facebook or twitter or somewhere that there are early stage plans for them to ground share at the kp.

Last edited:
Probably bollocks but I saw on facebook or twitter or somewhere that there are early stage plans for them to ground share at the kp.

Funny that Walsall still in the frame
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318884/Coventry-talks-share-Walsalls-stadium-locked-Ricoh-Arena.html?ico=sport%5Eheadlines

Approaches have been made to the Saddlers and they are now the hot favourites to host Coventry matches next season. Speculation that Northampton Rugby Club and Hinckley United are also in the running appears wide of the mark.

Last edited:

I posted this fake news story on April 1st 2001. Someone well known around here believed it and told half of South East London before realising it wasn't true.

Coventry City chairman Bryan Richardson has revealed that the club's
planned 40,000 capacity stadium may be put on hold if the club is
relegated to the first division.

The futuristic stadium, originally known as Arena 2000, has been plagued
with problems from the start. The former industrial site is badly
polluted, and is proving more expensive to clear than originally
envisaged. Another problem is that Coventry City don't yet own all the
land, part of the site is owned by gipsies who are reluctant to move.

In an interview in the business section of today's Sunday Telegraph,
Richardson admitted that unforeseen costs associated with the stadium
project have diverted funds away from the football side of the business,
and the new stadium would no longer be financially viable if the club
was relegated. He explained that the club is already over 10 million
pounds in debt, and relegation this season would cost the club at least
15 million pounds in lost Sky TV money.

Coventry City have already sold their existing Highfield Road ground to
property developers, and are renting it back for a nominal fee. This
rental agreement expires in the summer of 2002, when the planned new
stadium was due to be a year old. Richardson revealed that despite
lengthy negotiations, they are unable to extend their stay at Highfield
Road and are considering sharing with a neighbouring club, with
Leicester City being the favourites. Richardson explained: "Leicester is
only 20 miles away, and most supporters would rather share with them
than with Aston Villa, our main local rivals. Leicester may even have a
new 30,000 stadium completed by the time we leave Highfield road. I
haven't yet been able to meet with Leicester PLC chairman Sir Rodney
Walker, but I've spoken to him on the phone and he's keen to help us.
Sir Rodney comes from a rugby league background, where ground sharing
has been common for a number of years."

About the Ricoh Stadium on Cov's wiki page
The original plan was for a state-of-the-art 45,000-seater, multipurpose stadium with removable pitch and retractable roof. It was due to be ready for the 2001–02 season and was touted to be one of the finest and most advanced stadiums in Europe. However, the club's subsequent relegation, financial problems, financier/contractor withdrawals and England's failure to secure the 2006 World Cup competition led to a radical redesign. The resulting stadium was built to a standard and somewhat uninspiring bowl design with steep stands, in line with several other new stadia builds during this period, though it is said to generate excellent acoustics (and has been used to host several major rock concerts).
It's a good job those other plans never happened. Although the comments about the "excellent acoustics" stand in good stead for Spion's visit

I posted this fake news story on April 1st 2001. Someone well known around here believed it and told half of South East London before realising it wasn't true.

All seems legit to me

Last edited:
Although the comments about the "excellent acoustics" stand in good stead for Spion's visit

I've been before (to see us play SkyBlueScum) but I'm sure the Springsteen fans will create a far better atmosphere than Cov fans can!

Bid in from American property tycoon, Preston Haskell IV, for the club and half of the RICOH. Announcement expected soon.

Bid in from American property tycoon, Preston Haskell IV, for the club and half of the RICOH. Announcement expected soon.

he tried to buy into Leeds last year, says a lot about him

he tried to buy into Leeds last year, says a lot about him

What's complicated? You look at a business and form an opinion of what it's worth. If another interested party bids more than you value it, you let them have it. It's what sensible businessmen do. If I was in their shoes, I'd want a man on board who isn't prepared to throw more money at something than what he believes its worth.

If I was in their shoes, I'd want a man on board who isn't prepared to throw more money at something than what he believes its worth.

If that man believes that he will have to throw more money at the club than it's worth, he'll never get on the board.

What's complicated? You look at a business and form an opinion of what it's worth. If another interested party bids more than you value it, you let them have it. It's what sensible businessmen do. If I was in their shoes, I'd want a man on board who isn't prepared to throw more money at something than what he believes its worth.

The complication is who owns what at the moment even the administrator is struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669