Covid Breaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve had so many incidents as a club over the years it’s bordering on ridiculous:

Wise
La Manga, twice
Collymore
Thailand
Vardy and his slurs
And now this.

Rodgers insisting that leaving them out of Sunday's crunch game was punishment enough. That's a joke, Brendan.

The only ones who have been punished are us fans.

Not playing is no punishment whatsoever.

When I think of all the things I have missed and sacrificed for the last 12 months along with many others it makes me sick.

Mockery is saying (but not quoting a source) that Barnes was a part of it too.

Harvey Barnes has also been named as a player who broke rules implemented by the Premier League to prevent players being infected with Covid-19, but he was already ruled out of Sunday's game because of an operation on a knee that sidelines him until at least April 17.

Just heard BR.

He refused to name those involved when asked to do so. He said that it happened last weekend and he was personally really disappointed in the behaviour. They've been apart from the squad all week.

He was really clear that missing today was punishment enough and they'll be back in training for next week and available to play.

Seems to me that BR is trying to punish and protect his players at the same time. He knows they'll get hammered for this but he won't name and shame them and brings them straight back in. His hope will be that they'll respect his decision and his attempt to protect them too.

It's his approach and the performance next week will show whether it is the right one or not.

What actually happened though?

Was it a BBQ for the 6 of them that just decidide to go in when it got cold or was it a full on session with a house full and silver plates of coke being passed around??

Still don't get the punishment of them missing the game either as it has potentially cost us as a team and not just those involved.

Maximum club fine plus some extra work in the community would have been more fitting imo.

Rodgers insisting that leaving them out of Sunday's crunch game was punishment enough. That's a joke, Brendan.

The only ones who have been punished are us fans.

Not playing is no punishment whatsoever.

When I think of all the things I have missed and sacrificed for the last 12 months along with many others it makes me sick.
Just heard BR.

He refused to name those involved when asked to do so. He said that it happened last weekend and he was personally really disappointed in the behaviour. They've been apart from the squad all week.

He was really clear that missing today was punishment enough and they'll be back in training for next week and available to play.

Seems to me that BR is trying to punish and protect his players at the same time. He knows they'll get hammered for this but he won't name and shame them and brings them straight back in. His hope will be that they'll respect his decision and his attempt to protect them too.

It's his approach and the performance next week will show whether it is the right one or not.
No punishment whatsoever. We are the ones punished.

Oh have a word with yourself.
Really?
Perhaps it’s an overreaction - I’ll wait to hear the truth. But I would applaud strong leadership here.
Thousands have died. Restrictions need to be respected or many more will. What hope do we have it highly paid public figures flout the rules ? It’s enough the government do.
I would be so angry if I was Brendan.

if they feel half as aggrieved as I do then I'm not suprised their heads weren't in the game fully.
If that’s true, our players are even more mentally weak than I think they already are.

They've been kept apart from the squad to protect the bubble.
They won't have been allowed to the ground to today to protect the bubble (the look of the thing aside, Maddison playing golf is allowed and of he's not allowed near, there's no real issue here, especially if he's been told he's allowed).
Leaving them out will have been a decision taken out of BRs hands until they have passed a certain point I would imagine, and it's the expected punishment based on what other clubs have done.

I know people are bored and trapped at home, but the level of over-analysing of stuff lately has reached new levels of crazy.

Really?
Perhaps it’s an overreaction - I’ll wait to hear the truth. But I would applaud strong leadership here.
Thousands have died. Restrictions need to be respected or many more will. What hope do we have it highly paid public figures flout the rules ? It’s enough the government do.
I would be so angry if I was Brendan.
Yes, really.

Perhaps an overreaction? You’re acting like they’ve committed murder. You don’t just want to sell them all in the summer, you want them all sacked and hence forgo potentially £100m+. But yes, “perhaps” an overreaction.

Look, they’re all ****s. But they’ve not done anything other footballers haven’t done over the past 12 months. Look at Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish. But their managers decided they weren’t going to cut their nose off to spite their face by dropping them, but rather fine the shit out of them. Not sure who made the decision in our club, but it was a very arrogant and short sighted decision.

Yes, really.

Perhaps an overreaction? You’re acting like they’ve committed murder. You don’t just want to sell them all in the summer, you want them all sacked and hence forgo potentially £100m+. But yes, “perhaps” an overreaction.

Look, they’re all ****s. But they’ve not done anything other footballers haven’t done over the past 12 months. Look at Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish. But their managers decided they weren’t going to cut their nose off to spite their face by dropping them, but rather fine the shit out of them. Not sure who made the decision in our club, but it was a very arrogant and short sighted decision.
I agree with most of this, but once again I'm baffled by the standard accusation of arrogance. How? If they were told after Soyuncu tested positive than any stupid breaches would be punished by missing a match, it's appropriate. If they were potentially positive and not allowed to train with the bubble, it makes entire sense. Even if it's a decision the management has taken to assert it's authority, then good, that's an appropriate response.
There will also be limits on how much the players can be fined, and missing out on appearance fees, plus the public embarrassment for them, will add to that.

I'm honestly intrigued what you find arrogant.

So what you're saying, in effect, Matt is that BR hasn't punished them because it was out of his hands anyway and everyone ought be OK with that?

Madison playing golf (if he indeed was) may well be allowed but what message does it send?

It's not over analysis to say these guys have broken regulations and should be punished (by the club) as a result - even if that's an extra punishment over and above whatever PL regs require. They've let both the club and their colleagues down hugely, it's beyond simply disappointing.

So what you're saying, in effect, Matt is that BR hasn't punished them because it was out of his hands anyway and everyone ought be OK with that?

Madison playing golf (if he indeed was) may well be allowed but what message does it send?

It's not over analysis to say these guys have broken regulations and should be punished (by the club) as a result - even if that's an extra punishment over and above whatever PL regs require. They've let both the club and their colleagues down hugely, it's beyond simply disappointing.
That's a strange take. The punishment, as I said, will be largely fine based. I'm saying that the decision not to play them might not have been something that was decided beyond medical/protection reasons.

Of course they've let the club down, Brendan has said as much. They've also been punished. This idea that they need to step up and publicly apologise etc is also a bit pointless - it would be lip service to appease people.

As for Maddison playing golf, if he's been told it's fine by the club, then the message it sends is that he enjoys golf.

Maddison playing golf is nothing to get worked up over and it is also only a rumour too.

The players were clearly told to stay away from the game so does it matter if he was having a nap at home or having a round of gold instead?

I also think we need more details before anyone is crucified for this.

Maddison playing golf is nothing to get worked up over and it is also only a rumour too.

The players were clearly told to stay away from the game so does it matter if he was having a nap at home or having a round of gold instead?

I also think we need more details before anyone is crucified for this.
Exactly this.

That's a strange take. The punishment, as I said, will be largely fine based. I'm saying that the decision not to play them might not have been something that was decided beyond medical/protection reasons.

Of course they've let the club down, Brendan has said as much. They've also been punished. This idea that they need to step up and publicly apologise etc is also a bit pointless - it would be lip service to appease people.

As I understand what BR has said about it, the decisions were all his to make on how to deal with the situation. He decided not to issue fines as he felt that they weren't really punishment. He decided to remove the players from today's game and then draw a line under it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263