Pre Match Crystal Palace v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'd go into this match with a completely 'new' defence - even if it is 'only' CP. I reckon Evans will play if Soyuncu starts, with Fofana on the bench. I wouldn't pair Fofana and Soyuncu unless JE is in desperate need of a rest. Timothy (I do like saying that!) is pencilled in for a rest so I don't suppose we'll see him, so that opens the door for Thomas or, less likely, Fuchs. Justin looks like he could run for ever so I'd be starting him, unless Ricardo is reading for a good 60 minutes.

It seems the perceived wisdom that Ndidi will be rested though, and I don't disagree. Mendy is more than capable though obviously not the same player, and gives rise to defensive implications. For example, making it more likely that Evans plays.

Does Maddison need time off? I don't know but again we have options. Not like-for-like but options with personel and shape. I prefer Perez central, for instance, rather than wide. And Praet is in the frame for a B-team midfield. And Youri? I'd play him if he wants to play. He can hold things together no matter who is around him.

I don't reckon Vardy will start though. That groin strain, or whatever, will probably have Rodgers thinking he needs some recovery time. He'd be on the bench though. Nacho will provide entertainment of some kind, hopefully with a hat trick off his arse or something.

I hope Under's fit (though I somehow doubt he will be) as I'd really like to see him have a run again.

Last season, two days after the Boxing day match at home to Liverpool, we went to West Ham. BR changed 9 of the 10 outfield players. It proved to be the right decision.

Just saying.

Last season, two days after the Boxing day match at home to Liverpool, we went to West Ham. BR changed 9 of the 10 outfield players. It proved to be the right decision.

Just saying.
That is true, although there was only 4 days to the game after that though, compared to 6 days this time around, so a bit more leeway on the other side.

Just saying.
There'll be many changes and that is the right way to play it. Swapping Vardy for Iheanacho shouldn't be one of them. This is why we need a new striker. Desperately.

There'll be many changes and that is the right way to play it. Swapping Vardy for Iheanacho shouldn't be one of them. This is why we need a new striker. Desperately.

No we don't.

When the club judge that Vardy is no longer a guaranteed first choice striker, and we gave him a new contract until 2023 in August, then we need a new striker.

Our experience of spending on strikers to complement Vardy is disasterous and has been a complete and utter waste of money.

Before Iheanacho, we had Musa and Slimani, then Ulloa and Kramaric. Before that, it was Wood. Most were decent enough strikers but never had a prayer here. They were always just support acts costing around £90m that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Ulloa was excellent for us. Weird to put him in with that lot.

With the exception of Musa, they are all good quality strikers who have made perfectly good careers for themselves. The point is that none of them are able to displace Vardy and therefore none of them have had a prayer of being kept happy as support acts. Therefore, they were all a waste of money.

Ulloa came closest being first choice ahead of Vardy in 14/15 but he was then relegated to the bench as back up until he left seeking more football. This is the 6th season in a row where Vardy has been the main man and anyone else have been back ups.

Imagine signing someone like Martial. Would he displace Vardy? He'd be very expensive and end up sitting on the bench.

Vardy in or out injured tomorrow? If he's out I'd hope we'll play Perez in the forward role with Maddison just behind. Even against Palace Nacho will provide no threat whatsoever.

Imagine signing someone like Martial. Would he displace Vardy? He'd be very expensive and end up sitting on the bench.

Exactly.

We can only sign a striker to sit on the bench. No striker in the world that is at a similar level to Vardy would do that.

If Iheanacho starts tomorrow,, it will be only his 50th start for City and only his 30th PL start in three and a half seasons. The fact is that he has 23 goals for us feeding on scraps.

Ulloa got 20 goals from 48 starts, Slimani has 13 goals from 23 starts, Musa 5 goals from 14 starts, Kramaric 4 goals from 11 starts.

None of those records are bad. But none of them are Jamie Vardy.

Martial would almost be a perfect signing tbh, not only does he play down the middle to back up Vardy but also plays on the wings a lot too meaning he could get plenty of game time with us.

I'd be looking for you young striker that does that though, someone like Mason Greenwood fits the profile though he himself wouldn't be realistic

If we aren't playing Vardy then Perez should get a chance up front. Considering we're up against a team likely to sit back why not put him and Nachos up there.

Martial would almost be a perfect signing tbh, not only does he play down the middle to back up Vardy but also plays on the wings a lot too meaning he could get plenty of game time with us.

I'd be looking for you young striker that does that though, someone like Mason Greenwood fits the profile though he himself wouldn't be realistic
For info. I do not rate Martial one bit. Expensive showpony for me.

If we wanted/needed to rest as many as possible...

Kasper
Amartey Evans Soyunchu
Justin..........................................Thomas
Mendy Praet
Perez,.....................Iheanacho
Slimani
I hope a few more of our players are fit enough (especially Vardy), but with our injury problems I am worried about straining them too much.

I think it’ll be:

Schmeichel

Justin
Amartey
Soyuncu (if fit, otherwise Fofana)
Thomas

Mendy
Praet

Ünder
Perez
Barnes

Iheanacho