New Contract Danny Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Sav, Danny is from Wrexham, so we can only hope everyone there is as barmy as that. Missing a phone call from Martin O’Neill, what a lad.

**** off, he missed a call from Mon? is that what it was all about?

Honestly, that is ****ing hilarious stuff Sav.

What a lad

Maybe I'm outdated but I want competition for places. I want my number one keeper to be on his toes.

In my view, Schmeichel was poor against West Ham for two of the goals and also got away with another bad error. But nobody would ever consider his place to be under challenge because we all know that Ward is shite.

We also need to factor in the fact that Schmeichel isn't getting any younger. He's been largely good this season but this decision has just guaranteed him an easy place for the remainder of his contract.
For the good of the team I completely agree with you. Schmeichel is by no means a terrible keeper but he should no longer have guaranteed first 11 status.

But the fact that he is had sod all to do with Ward’s decision to sign a new (presumably) lucrative contract. Realistically he’s not getting a starting position at another club in the top half of the Premier League, if at all in the Premier League. I can’t say I blame him for making as much money as he can whilst being at least part of a (relatively) successful squad.

But again, as with Vardy, I’d be happy to see Schmeichel challenged for a starting place at the start of next season. But with pandemic finances I can see why Ward is the better *cheaper* option.

He's a perfectly adequate replacement for Schmeichel when we need one. A long term replacement will be found when needed. Schmeichel is a excellent goalkeeper and we really don't need to worry about him. He saves us far more points in a season than he costs us. We are completely covered in that area.

That is all.

Danny Ward is shite and not good enough for us?

Danny Ward is shite and not good enough for us?

My issues with him are as follows.

1. We massively overpaid for him at £12.5m. That's silly money for a club like us to pay for a reserve player. It was unnecessary expenditure and Liverpool must have pissed themselves laughing that we paid it. 14 appearances for us in cup competitions in 3 years doesn't look value for money to me.

2. He's 28 next week and he's played 2 Premier League games. He has been a PL keeper for 7 years. I question his attitude to the game that he'd rather make a living sitting on the bench than playing first team football a bit lower down. When he signed this contract to 2025, he basically said I'm fine with hardly ever playing football through the best years of my career.

3. Technically, he's never going to be good enough to take Schmeichel's position on merit. He's a decent keeper for a Championship club. If Schmeichel left us, we'd sign a new keeper immediately.

My issues with him are as follows.

1. We massively overpaid for him at £12.5m. That's silly money for a club like us to pay for a reserve player. It was unnecessary expenditure and Liverpool must have pissed themselves laughing that we paid it. 14 appearances for us in cup competitions in 3 years doesn't look value for money to me.

2. He's 28 next week and he's played 2 Premier League games. He has been a PL keeper for 7 years. I question his attitude to the game that he'd rather make a living sitting on the bench than playing first team football a bit lower down. When he signed this contract to 2025, he basically said I'm fine with hardly ever playing football through the best years of my career.

3. Technically, he's never going to be good enough to take Schmeichel's position on merit. He's a decent keeper for a Championship club. If Schmeichel left us, we'd sign a new keeper immediately.
1. That's not his fault.
2. That's up to him. He might like money.
3. He certainly is.

Also on 2 - we actually need some players in the squad for who this applies. Our second keeper, our fourth or fifth centre halves - they're incredibly important as although we hope to not need them we will. Someone who won't cause a fuss from that position and upset the whole squad but good enough to be there, it's not an easy thing to find

Also on 2 - we actually need some players in the squad for who this applies. Our second keeper, our fourth or fifth centre halves - they're incredibly important as although we hope to not need them we will. Someone who won't cause a fuss from that position and upset the whole squad but good enough to be there, it's not an easy thing to find
You never know, one of our squad players might, even after leaving, actually lift the Euros trophy…. again

post match quote

“My dilemma with Leicester is Kasper has been brilliant for several seasons, so you can have no real complaints,” Ward said. “There is only one shirt, sometimes you have to swallow your medicine, keep working hard, and hope you can get that chance.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263