David Davis - hero or villain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

From the BBC. :icon_wink

Davis issues challenge to Labour

Shadow home secretary David Davis has resigned as an MP, promising to fight to regain his seat on a platform of defending "British liberties".

I have never voted Tory and probably never will. This guy has my one hundred per cent support. :038: :038: :038: Of course it is a stunt but I say to every Labour MP who slags it off, resign and let the people decide. :icon_wink

Last edited:
Re: David Davis - hero or villan?

I have always voted Conservative..

Jeremy Vine was interupted this afternoon for a news flash.

I got all excited thinking somebody off of my my Death List had ****ed off, but it was just some vote grabber that I've never heard of resigning in true Graham Norton style.

Bunch of ****s.

Have I misunderstood something. The vote was to extend the holding of a terrorist suspect for 42 days.

What the feck is wrong with that?

For those that voted against it, I'd send to the tower for treason.

The day I'd vote conservative would be the day that something inside of me had died, the day that hope had finally been vanquished by cynicism and a total lack of imagination and aspiration for how human beings could and should be.

David Davis does credit to himself to resign over this. But he's no Martin Luther King. A conservative's only dream is for rising share and property prices - whilst their prayers at night tend to be soley and earnestly for commerce.

Self seeking prat. Cynical exploitation of a "principle" he seems not to hold on any other issue.

I see he now has the backing of the Liberals and the BNP.

I'm sure the voters in his constituency will be pleased to have the option of the monster raving loonies.

Could be their big break through at last.

Self seeking prat. Cynical exploitation of a "principle" he seems not to hold on any other issue.

I see he now has the backing of the Liberals and the BNP.

I'm sure the voters in his constituency will be pleased to have the option of the monster raving loonies.

Could be their big break through at last.

I also notice that the Labour Party are not keen to back their own policies. :102:

I have never voted Tory and probably never will. This guy has my one hundred per cent support. :038: :038: :038: Of course it is a stunt but I say to every Labour MP who slags it off, resign and let the people decide. :icon_wink

They just did in the vote that has been made, by our representatives in the House of Commons.

Can't see your point here really. If MPs want to do this over a matter of principle how come all the advocates over the abortion issue haven't done a similar thing if they are so against the law that was re-affirmed?

Actually, I know what you driving at really, but an MP resigning over his principles, :081:, they compromise every day in votes, its the way of the system.

I also notice that the Labour Party are not keen to back their own policies. :102:

Yes they are - the policy was passed within the confines of a parliamentary democracy. Why on earth they would then wish to take part in this farcical charade is beyond me

Davis is simply a publicity seeking prick who is making a mockery of the whole democratic process in this country just to make a name for himself

The man is an utter wanker of the highest order

I note that The Sun are thinking about putting Kelvin McKenzie up in opposition to him, which just about sums up this whole sorry circus politics once and for all

I hope that he beats the tosser

Last edited:
The House of Commons is a circus and the House of Lords is a Gentlmens Club. Few politicians have the real courage of their convictions. Those that do are usually labled extreme left or extreme right and will never achieve high office. The remainder kick around the political centre circle rehashing policies trying to avoid losing credibility or votes.

I don't know how we change it, its gone too far and needs to break very badly before it the opportunity to change will arise.

Viva the Revolution.

Yes they are - the policy was passed within the confines of a parliamentary democracy. Why on earth they would then wish to take part in this farcical charade is beyond me

Davis is simply a publicity seeking prick who is making a mockery of the whole democratic process in this country just to make a name for himself

The man is an utter wanker of the highest order

I note that The Sun are thinking about putting Kelvin McKenzie up in opposition to him, which just about sums up this whole sorry circus politics once and for all

I hope that he beats the tosser

Quite. I don't have much time for gesture politics in general, but had, say, a labour back bench rebel or the liberal's home affairs spokesperson done this, there might at least have been some logic to it, coming from someone who apparently holds the view as part of a much wider set of principles.

I see this more as a product of the jealousy that has been gnawing away at him since Cameron beat him than the sudden conversion to liberal views.

Have I misunderstood something. The vote was to extend the holding of a terrorist suspect for 42 days.

What the feck is wrong with that?

it's for the police to hold whoever they suspect of perhaps being a terrorist

so if i put a load of bomb making stuff in your garage and reported you, you'd be in a cell for 7 weeks if the police wanted that

all well and fine if all terrorist suspects are terrorists, but they're not

i'm against the 42 days and would have voted against it as an MP. however if a vote goes against me, i wouldn't spit the dummy, resign, give up a seat for a possible upset

you go with the democratic process

when Robin Cook resigned, he was a member of the cabinet and he resigned about a war, the lack of democratic process and the lack of agreeance of the international community. a worthy resignation

Davies...there's something else going on... maybe it was him with all the covered up MPs' expenses... maybe he's banging his secretary

Last edited:

so if i put a load of bomb making stuff in your garage and reported you, you'd be in a cell for 7 weeks if the police wanted that

i'm against the 42 days and would have voted against it as an MP. however if a vote goes against me, i wouldn't spit the dummy, resign, give up a seat for a possible upset

when Robin Cook resigned, he was a member of the cabinet and he resigned about a war, the lack of democratic process and the lack of agreeance of the international community. a worthy resignation

Davies...there's something else going on... maybe it was him with all the covered up MPs' expenses... maybe he's banging his secretary

:038::038: Good post. More or less what I was trying to say but put far more eloquently. :icon_wink

Well said DV. You wouldn't even need to leave any bomb making materials in the garage, an allegation is all it would take for somebody, anybody, to be arrested and locked up without charge for six weeks. That's a frightening development in your Orwellian state.

That said, I think Davis is a self serving ****.

How unfortunate that a high profile Conservative MP should fall on his sword just when they are getting their noses in front.
And in such a stereotypical way by quoting Magna Carta, an outdated document written nearly 800 years ago before gunpowder came to these shores.

How unfortunate that a high profile Conservative MP should fall on his sword just when they are getting their noses in front.
And in such a stereotypical way by quoting Magna Carta, an outdated document written nearly 800 years ago before gunpowder came to these shores.

..... and a Government trying to take the UK back the Dark Ages. :icon_conf

Last edited:

hey, don't diss the Magna Carta!

:)

i didn't know he quoted that (have been watched the footy not the news lately)

what a pompous twat, he's a member of the SHADOW cabinet, a nobody, his resignation means nothing

if he wanted to do something, bide your time, become the Home Secretary in a year's time and try to get rid of the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46