David Moyes Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again the football train goes off the rails. David Moyes is a quality manager, which he proved by his performance at Everton on a comparatively slender budget, but sadly inherited a team of has-beens and overpaid under-achievers. So the mighty Reds have finished out the Champs League, well tough s**t, welcome to the real world. Given time I am sure David Moyes could and would have built a new side capable of achieving things that our beloved club will only be dreaming of (well maybe for a couple of seasons!) but it's always instant success or 'Thanks and Goodbye'. I for one hope he finds a club that will give him the respect and support that he deserves from the board and the fans. How many Leicester fans would honestly not welcome him to the King Power if he came knocking in the future? Not many.

Once again the football train goes off the rails. David Moyes is a quality manager, which he proved by his performance at Everton on a comparatively slender budget, but sadly inherited a team of has-beens and overpaid under-achievers. So the mighty Reds have finished out the Champs League, well tough s**t, welcome to the real world. Given time I am sure David Moyes could and would have built a new side capable of achieving things that our beloved club will only be dreaming of (well maybe for a couple of seasons!) but it's always instant success or 'Thanks and Goodbye'. I for one hope he finds a club that will give him the respect and support that he deserves from the board and the fans. How many Leicester fans would honestly not welcome him to the King Power if he came knocking in the future? Not many.

Martinez is doing better in 1 season that Moyes ever did at Everton.

Did you watch them at the weekend? Utter turd of the highest order, no idea what tactics he was employing and neither did the players.

He wasn't qualified for the job in the 1st place.

David Moyes is a quality manager, which he proved by his performance at Everton on a comparatively slender budget, but sadly inherited a team of has-beens and overpaid under-achievers.

The exact same team that won the Premier League last season by eleven clear points

This doesn't make Moyes a bad manager and he still did a fantastic job at Everton - but he just wasn't the right man for the Man Utd job.

Despite winning the league last season, it wasn't a great team and they were always going to find it harder this year - but to go from winning the league to not even making it into the Europa League is far too big a drop. If they'd finished 4th I'm sure they'd have stuck with him, but he's shown no signs all season that he can turn this team around.

They need a big revamp in the summer, but Moyes hasn't given any reason this season for the board to trust him with a sizeable transfer budget. I've said it before, but I think the awful form of Fellaini this season is one of Moyes's biggest failings.

I don't know who Man Utd will go next, but I can see Moyes going to Spurs. And he'd be a good appointment.

Martinez is doing better in 1 season that Moyes ever did at Everton.

Is he really? In the 2007-08 season under Moyes Everton finished fifth. Martinez will likely finish in the exact same position this season. Martinez is doing a very good job at Everton but it's way too early to say if he is doing a better or worse job than Moyes did.

Is he really? In the 2007-08 season under Moyes Everton finished fifth. Martinez will likely finish in the exact same position this season. Martinez is doing a very good job at Everton but it's way too early to say if he is doing a better or worse job than Moyes did.

This was his 5th full season at the club. Martinez has replicated that achievement already. IMO Martinez has already done a much better job than Moyes at Everton.

Most Everton fans will tell you they are playing a much better style of football than they did under Moyes and they still have a chance of Champions League qualification.

All Moyes is doing at the moment is playing the way he did at Everton, it's a one dimensional management style that has got him the sack.

What was the transfer spends like though as Moyes was always very heavily restricted by that, especially in the early years.

Everton have some awkward games to go so 5 isn't guaranteed just yet.

Once again the football train goes off the rails.
Really? I think the game has moved on. The bar has been raised by the likes of Guardiola, Ferguson, Martinez, Rogers and Mourinho, and Moyes is six inches short of it.

His Everton side which some would argue was short of their best player from last season has had an injection of modern ideas and passion which I think Moyes lacks.

I agree that some of the Man U old guard (Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic) may be past their prime, but if there's one thing Fergie was well known for was kicking out anyone who wasn't pulling their weight or towing the line. I don't get that impression of Moyes. He's been used to compromised at Everton and that simply won't work at the top clubs.

I also don't think that he's been able to attract the calibre of player to the club that would have enhanced their chances of staying in the top 4. A crony from Everton and a Chelsea reject just doesn't show the sort of insight needed to build for the future.

Like I said the game's moved on from the days where a manager gets a chance to bed in. He's had two windows with ample funds to keep last season's champions in the hunt. There's too much money in the game now for compromise and the Glazers, being result hungry Yanks, were never going accept less than Champions League football, hence why the reported clause was built in.

Gary Neville summed it up....Man U have lost their edge. For me it's been a good thing for the game.

Maybe they'd consider poaching OGS from us for £50M.

Last edited:
Sacked for finishing higher than Ferguson did in his first season.

This is quite reasonable. The points total is obviously relevant but not the whole story. The board clearly felt they had confidence in Ferguson with their future; today they feel they do not have confidence in Moyes. The timing is right as the new man needs to be there is the close season to spend money and to have a pre-season.;

I do not think that there is such a thing as a Premier League manager. The problems of managing West Ham or Aston Villa are really no different from managing Huddersfield or Bournemouth. What is different is managing one of the big four or five with their superstars and budgets..

No doubt Ferguson saw in Moyes a younger version of himself. However, Ferguson took over a team that was underachieving and was being seen as second rate compared with the Charlton-Law-Best era. Moyes took over a set of superstars. They will not have been impressed by Moyes achievements as a player or manager or his lack of charisma.

When Busby retired Manchester United only began to recover with Tommy Docherty. Although a fellow Scot he was very different from Busby - more of a Shankly type. He had an impressive international career, believed he was a great manager (he was almost right) and was a fierce in your face disciplinarian - more Ferguson than Busby.

Manchester United should be looking for a manager who will not compare himself to Ferguson, believes he is a great manager and has a track record to back it up. In short they should be looking for the next Mourinho.

Of course Tommy Docherty is still around and despite being 85 may fancy a second crack at a job he left in such bizarre circumstances.:icon_bigg

Last edited:
Moyes shot himself in the foot when he got rid of the backroom staff. From then on, he was doomed.

Man Utd made an awful mistake in letting Ferguson choose his successor. That's utterly insane. Also, allowing AF to sit and watch every game this season isn't right. He should have been sent on a year long sabbatical to give his successor some space.

There is nothing wrong with their squad. The standard at the top of the Prem this year isn't great. There isn't a stand out team, which is why it's more exciting than usual. For the team that won the league by a country mile last season, having lost no major players and added a couple, to fail so miserably this season is an astonishing collapse. They also play really dull football for such a talented group.

Moyes is a very good manager as he's proved at Preston and Everton. He built Everton up from being relegation threatened every year and completely skint to a top six team pretty much every year. That's a terrific achievement. But he never looked to me like someone that could take over from AF. The successor needed to be a massive personality/presence with the sense to evolve the club, not make too many changes too soon. Moyes had the second characteristic but not the first.

Mourinho was the right man but Man Utd failed to approach him. It will be interesting to see who they get now because I don't see an obvious candidate. I suppose it will be Van Gaal but I think his best days are behind him.

Anyway, the way they're heading, it's good for us and could be an easy six points next season.

Man Utd made an awful mistake in letting Ferguson choose his successor. That's utterly insane. Also, allowing AF to sit and watch every game this season isn't right. He should have been sent on a year long sabbatical to give his successor some space.

There is nothing wrong with their squad. The standard at the top of the Prem this year isn't great. There isn't a stand out team, which is why it's more exciting than usual. For the team that won the league by a country mile last season, having lost no major players and added a couple, to fail so miserably this season is an astonishing collapse. They also play really dull football for such a talented group.

Moyes is a very good manager as he's proved at Preston and Everton. He built Everton up from being relegation threatened every year and completely skint to a top six team pretty much every year. That's a terrific achievement. But he never looked to me like someone that could take over from AF. The successor needed to be a massive personality/presence with the sense to evolve the club, not make too many changes too soon. Moyes had the second characteristic but not the first.

Mourinho was the right man but Man Utd failed to approach him. It will be interesting to see who they get now because I don't see an obvious candidate. I suppose it will be Van Gaal but I think his best days are behind him.

Anyway, the way they're heading, it's good for us and could be an easy six points next season.

Add in him looking like Moe and that's pretty much my thinking.

Add in him looking like Moe and that's pretty much my thinking.

images

Well first off I'd just like to state that I don't give a flying **** about the fall of Utd except to hope it continues.Reprehensible club on every level right back to when i was a kid (during which time they were relegated)

That being said all of this is entirely Ferguson's doing.Remember how suddenly his retirement was announced last year? That was Fergie adding up the odds.He knew this team was substandard & incredibly fortunate to win the league last season.They were never impressive & were flattered by Man City being stagnant,Chelsea in transition & Liverpool a work in progress.They also never looked up to the task in Europe.The Purple One knew that 3-4 years was needed to rebuild & at his age,he didn't have the time.Retirement was announced when the title was a virtual certainty & ensured that he went out as a winner & the inevitable decline would be blamed solely on his successor(s)
Finally the oft quoted shrewdness has some basis in fact.

Actually,Ferguson is largely to blame for the wider problems at Utd too but he's insulated from blame by his record so the wilfully blind fans will never point the finger.They want to hang the Glazers with one of those stupid green & yellow scarves.Well,who's childish antics paved their way to control of the club in the first place? Arise Sir Alex.

Utd fans are funny.

Well first off I'd just like to state that I don't give a flying **** about the fall of Utd except to hope it continues.Reprehensible club on every level right back to when i was a kid (during which ti

That's about the shape of it for me, too. Knowing this forum's high regard for the "full pre-season", poor Moyesy has been a dead man from the start. I was musing about our top 5 managers and for me you can't be a great manager if you leave the club in disarray or deliberately or otherwise undermine your successor.

Not that I'm complaining, as the Busby fiasco, when McGuinness and O'Farrell were thrown to the sharks with the "great man" still part of the disintegrating scene, leaving that self-regarding adulterer Docherty to get them relegated with a little help from Denis Law having jumped ship to Man City, remains a favourite schadenfreude moment. Can only hope Fergie continues to provide his assistance, just leave LCFC out of it this time around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670