David Nugent

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think, if we do go for Masilela at left back that we should then limit our exposure to unproven players at this level following his signing. Players like Schmeichel, Danns, Nugent, Maynard etc are proven to be in the top quartile of championship players/performers and any loanees/signings from the Prem/Top leagues on top of that would be good i.e Heskey. We can then be confident we've got a really challenging side for the new season. If we start to see 'the people's Rooney' flying in from North Korea and players that may well take 12 games to bed in/learn the language, then i think we would have cause to be rightly concerned....
However, after early indications, my fiver will be firmly on Leicester to be promoted. Specifically if we can secure Maynard.
Mee and Vitor i think should be seriously considered for the new season.

Sparky, with due respect...Masilela has played Champions League football and is South African, so very likely speaks English.

Jong is fluent in English and about 4 other languages. His last season was played in the nearest thing to an English style of football.

I am personally failing to see the merit in signing Mee/Vitor when they were part of last year's problem.

Last edited:
Looks like stringer has proven himself to be as unreliable as ever then!

...and has quickly backtracked on his tweet yesterday which said something along the lines of 'Well LCFC fans, tomorrow should see some business etc etc'

To today meaning that Jack Hobbs going was the business he was on about :icon_roll

...and has quickly backtracked on his tweet yesterday which said something along the lines of 'Well LCFC fans, tomorrow should see some business etc etc'

To today meaning that Jack Hobbs going was the business he was on about :icon_roll

Stringer knows the square root of feck all.

Stringer knows the square root of feck all.

I am not quite sure what you chaps (and ladies) want from Stringer: if he waits until a deal is a fait a compli, he is simply toeing the club line and, if he says what he thinks is going to happen, and it does not; the man is a fool (by those criteria, there are not many wise men on this site).

We have had, and probably will again have, far worse sports reporters but, you can ignore this post because, if Stringer knows nothing, and I maintain that he is more in the loop than me, my knowledge must be in negative figures.

Last edited:
I am not quite sure what you chaps (and ladies) want from Stringer: if he waits until a deal is a fait a compli, he is simply toeing the club line and, if he says what he thinks is going to happen, and it does not; the man is a fool (by those criteria, there are not many wise men on this site).

We have had, and probably will again have, far worse sports reporters but, you can ignore this post because, if Stringer knows nothing, and I maintain that he is more in the loop than me, my knowledge must be in negative figures.
Spot on. :038:

Well, your French isn't great...

You should hear, or read, my German (the only other foreign language of which I have even a passing knowledge)!

Aye - "Hände hoch oder ich schieße" won't get you very far these days.

Last edited:
How about he act like a journalist and leave speculation and hyperbole at the door. That'd make me happy.

You can't be a journalist AND a speculater. Pick one.

How about he act like a journalist and leave speculation and hyperbole at the door. That'd make me happy.

The American press is quite different to the UK tabloids then? ;)

The American press is quite different to the UK tabloids then? ;)

Exactly the point and I have as much disdain for them as I do Stringer. I don't count them as journalists either.

Full disclosure: I work in sports journalism so am probably snootier than most about it.

The great American journalist Ed Murrow once began a TV interview with Aneurin Bevan with the words "Mr Bevan you have declared that the British press is the most prostituted in the world. On behalf of the American press may I thank you." Certainly Bevan was right that standards of journalism are higher in America than in Britain.

In America you are lucky in the quality of your newspapers. With the possible exception of The Telegraph the British national press is in different ways rather unpleasant. We have nothing to compare with The Washington Post or The New York Times.

Every country has jobs for those people who are really nasty but are too cowardly to become gangsters:
In Britain they become journalists.
In America they become lawyers.
In Italy they become accountants.
In France they become waiters.

I cannot judge Stringer since I never listen to him but in fairness the people I have met from local radio and local newspapers have been very good - but their national counterparts could learn a great deal from American newspapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669