David Nugent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its early days but Nugents capture has me smiling from ear to ear ... like this -> :icon_bigg

I agree with Kingy here, and I seem to be similarly afflicted. The fact that we've captured five new, all young, all very highly talented and excellent potential-filled players makes really pleased about not just now but the next few years- and signings like this only make more players realise how serious the club is about going up. If I'm not wrong, that means a net spend of aroun 2m, with five new players. Shrewd work in the markets by mr G-E IMO. Well done sir.

Great signing, can't wait to see him play for us.

I agree with Kingy here, and I seem to be similarly afflicted. The fact that we've captured five new, all young, all very highly talented and excellent potential-filled players makes really pleased about not just now but the next few years- and signings like this only make more players realise how serious the club is about going up. If I'm not wrong, that means a net spend of aroun 2m, with five new players. Shrewd work in the markets by mr G-E IMO. Well done sir.

I think it's more in the region of about 3 million, Schmeichel went for over £1mil, as did St Ledger and if I remember correctly, I think Peltier was in the region of £850,000? Still, these are very good players that we've acquired relatively cheaply. Just imagine if we'd signed Mills and CMS? That transfer bill would be closer to £10mil now... I feel like I should pinch myself! I wonder if we'll break our transfer record any time soon? It's embarassing to 'have he-who-shall-not-be-named' as our top all time transfer.

I think it's more in the region of about 3 million, Schmeichel went for over £1mil, as did St Ledger and if I remember correctly, I think Peltier was in the region of £850,000? Still, these are very good players that we've acquired relatively cheaply. Just imagine if we'd signed Mills and CMS? That transfer bill would be closer to £10mil now... I feel like I should pinch myself! I wonder if we'll break our transfer record any time soon? It's embarassing to 'have he-who-shall-not-be-named' as our top all time transfer.
Factor in the 800k or so we got for Hobbs

Ahh yes, forgot about that, well in that case I'd say it's probably just over the £2million as well, very good value for the players we've paid fees for.

Whilst things look promising I think it is very early to call peltier, danns and Schmeichel very good players. Currently, I don't think our squad is good enough to challenge for the top two places. Add Mills and Maynard/Yakubu/Sharp and I might change my mind.

Currently, I don't think our squad is good enough to challenge for the top two places. Add Mills and Maynard/Yakubu/Sharp and I might change my mind.

I wouldn't, our attack would look great on paper, but our defence would still look very, very thin. I reckon we need another 3 or 4 defenders before I'll start saying we have a squad capable of challenging. Certainly a left-back and another centre-back are needed and cover in case of injuries or suspension in the defensive positions, at full-back especially, is as well.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, forgot about that, well in that case I'd say it's probably just over the £2million as well, very good value for the players we've paid fees for.

I'm expecting us to sell the likes of Waghorn, Dyer and Howard once we get players in in their positions as well. So I reckon their expected fees will hopefully go towards buying the likes of Maynard.

Reading are supposedly willing to pay £2mil for Waghorn and if we get Maynard for the £4mil, which has been banded about. A £2mil exchange of Maynard for Waghorn would be a cracking piece of business imo. This is all a fantasist hypothetical situation of course, but I'm just loosely saying that how much we actually pay for a transfer may actually cost much less out the club's or owner's pockets if some of it is paid for by selling off dead wood.

Where have you read of their interest in Waggy prof? I ain't seen him linked with anyone really apart from the sheep. I wonder if Pearson would come in for him again?

A Reading fan was telling me about it on another forum, said they were apparently prepared to bid £2mil for him, but we were waiting til they'd signed their own forwards before letting him go. Not sure how much truth there is in it was more using the possibility of it as an example, but anyway, just had a google and found this link to a thread about it on one of their forums: http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106950

Last edited:
Methinks Waghorn will be the last to go of the fringe players.

Still major work to be done on the back four, short of a striker and if we're being greedy, a winger with some pace.

Why dont we try this lad Schlupp ...............Brentford were over the moon with him saying he was blessed with natural pace and a natural finish which cant be coached, could this be the way forward, or has the lad to be given more time to hone these skills??

Why dont we try this lad Schlupp ...............Brentford were over the moon with him saying he was blessed with natural pace and a natural finish which cant be coached, could this be the way forward, or has the lad to be given more time to hone these skills??

SGE and Jon Rudkin have both said that they expect him to break into the first team squad this season, but are not going to needlessly rush him and put too much pressure on him or expect him to lead the line at this stage in his career, which is sensible imo.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping Vitor will be back here on another season long loan if Benfica sort their "defensive crisis" out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670