Day trips to recommend or avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

Now that we are in spring i'd be interested to hear of places you visit for a day trip.
Useful things like the location and route,Admission fees, visiting times, or just details of the day trip would be helpful.
Also would the trip be family friendly, or would it bore the pants of your little ankle biters:102:

Last Friday i visited RAF Duxford with my dad.
Having been before i could recommend this for a pleasent day out for nearly all ages.

From Leicester....... you can pick up the A14 at junction 19 of the M1.
Stay on the A14 passing Huntingdon before continuing on the M11 past Cambridge.
Exit at junction 10 and take a right turn on the island.
Duxford is to the left....you cant miss it.
Approx 90 miles from Leicester

Admission is not cheap imo, but considering you can have a full day here its not too bad.

Adults £16
o.a.p £12.80
children 0-15 FREE

Whats to see

Duxford is a working airfield and in decent weather there is plenty of activity going on. Last time i was there, 2 spitfires as well as flights in old planes over the town of Duxford were operating.

There are 6 hangars to look around, and depending on your age some will be more interesting than others.
There should be a land-train to take you to the various hangars if you desire, and maybe useful to young and old as the Land Warfare hangar is a good walk from the entrance.

The 1st hangar will certainly interest the younger ones, with exhibits where you can watch how aviation things work with push button type experiments to try. Also in hangar 1 contains a Concorde, a Vulcan bomber as well many other fine aircraft.
In the American hangar you can see the awesome B52, a Blackbird and others.
There is the Land Warfare hangar which is very well done, and features a very good section on the d-day landings.
Other hangars contain features on the blitz including a meschersmitt that was shot down by the RAF , and also maritime stuff.
There is a conservation hangar where old planes are in various states of repair.

All in all plenty to see here, and on suitable days it would be brilliant to take a picnic and sit out near the airfield.
Although Duxford had its own cafe (quite expensive), i was not overly impressed the previous time with the menu options, so i decided to take some food with me.

Certainly would recommend to most people, but anyone with young children might become bored if they are stuck in the hangars for too long.

I dont expect people to go into great detail about a day out, but anything which can help people to decide whether a place is a worth a visit, would be good.:)

I've recommended it before but the grand prix collection up at Donington Park is superb. I think it's £6 to get in and if your an F1 fan then you can't fail to enjoy it. Just up the M1

I'm having a day trip to the nags head in enderby tomorrow. It costs nothing to get in but drinks are between £0.60-£3.00

It has a pool table, a few fat women, no good looking women, a dart board, a beer garden if thats what you wanna call it, a couple of bandits, and quite a few people who intend on getting rat arsed.

All in all its over priced for quality

It has a pool table, a few fat women, no good looking women, a dart board, a beer garden if thats what you wanna call it, a couple of arse-bandits, and rats.

Nice!

Arnside and Silverdale are nice places around here for the day,nice and quiet.

I've recommended it before but the grand prix collection up at Donington Park is superb. I think it's £6 to get in and if your an F1 fan then you can't fail to enjoy it. Just up the M1

:038::038: I would back this up, hundreds of F1 cars and a must for anybody who considers themselves an F1 fan.

The G20 meetings are a hoot

Took the family to Cadbury world the other weekend.
Didn't know about the history of Cadbury, so was expecting Willy Wonka style stuff, however, came away very impressed.

Worth a visit.

You bastard you beat me too it :icon_lol:

You know,its not just spices.No, its all about the spice trade. They've got a model of a slave boat. Its very big, and you press a button and you hear all the slaves going ''uuurgh''. Because, you know, they packed them in too tight

Took the family to Cadbury world the other weekend.
Didn't know about the history of Cadbury, so was expecting Willy Wonka style stuff, however, came away very impressed.

Worth a visit.

We went and thought it was shite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673