Dean Smith - LCFC Manager

Whether we stay up or go down, Dean Smith is not the answer.

He has proved at Villa and Norwich that he's a limited manager. Whatever happens, we need a mighty rebuild this summer so need someone we can trust with that.

If the club had any intention of keeping Smith beyond May they wouldn't have made such a fuss about the choice between a short term fix and a long term appointment.

If we stay up, we'll go for Potter 100%.
If Smith manages to pull it off and we stay up he is definately the answer and would deserve the credit for it.

Whether we stay up or go down, Dean Smith is not the answer.

He has proved at Villa and Norwich that he's a limited manager. Whatever happens, we need a mighty rebuild this summer so need someone we can trust with that.

If the club had any intention of keeping Smith beyond May they wouldn't have made such a fuss about the choice between a short term fix and a long term appointment.

If we stay up, we'll go for Potter 100%.
He did a perfectly good job at Villa. He rebuilt that team really well after Grealish was sold. It was probably the right thing for them to part ways at the time but he is quite rightly held in high esteem by most Villa fans.

He did a perfectly good job at Villa. He rebuilt that team really well after Grealish was sold. It was probably the right thing for them to part ways at the time but he is quite rightly held in high esteem by most Villa fans.

In just under two and a half years as Villa manager in the PL, he had a points per game average of 1.18 which works out as 45 points per season.

That wasn't good enough for Villa and it isn't good enough for us (usually).

Obviously, his record at Norwich was much worse 0.63 points per game.

Overall, 120 PL points from 114 games doesn't suggest that he's who we should be looking to commit to long term.

He seems like a nice guy and his record in the transfer market is decent but you only give him the job going forward if expectations have massively reduced.

He seems like a nice guy and his record in the transfer market is decent but you only give him the job going forward if expectations have massively reduced.
Surely we only set our expectations, as well as our expectations of whether Smith&co can deliver them, at the end of this season?

In just under two and a half years as Villa manager in the PL, he had a points per game average of 1.18 which works out as 45 points per season.

Obviously, his record at Norwich was much worse 0.63 points per game.

Overall, 120 PL points from 114 games doesn't suggest that he's who we should be looking to commit to long term.

Numbers like this in isolation are useless. You have to judge them against circumstance. The team he inherited, the players he lost, the state of the club when he took over etc... Like I say, it was probably time for both parties to seek a different path when he left but all in all, he did a very good job for them. Keeping them in the PL with the resources he had at his disposal at that time was incredibly impressive.

Well it was actually dodgy technology not working that kept them up but I agree with the sentiment of your post pop.

Smith may not be the most exciting of names but he seems a good candidate for the job.

Certainly feel more confident about staying up with him in charge than if we still had BR or the other two.

Sure it would have been better to have him in 2 games ago, or even 3, but he can't be blamed for that.

We'll probably still go down but hopefully we will at least go down fighting now rather than embarrassingly.

What he has done, is really irrelevant, its what he gets done in the next 8 games.

Claudio had never won the league before he joined us

Well it was actually dodgy technology not working that kept them up but I agree with the sentiment of your post pop.

Smith may not be the most exciting of names but he seems a good candidate for the job.

Certainly feel more confident about staying up with him in charge than if we still had BR or the other two.

Sure it would have been better to have him in 2 games ago, or even 3, but he can't be blamed for that.

We'll probably still go down but hopefully we will at least go down fighting now rather than embarrassingly.
Yep, he and Villa got a bit of luck. But it's fair to say he put them in a position to benefit from it with some pretty awful duffers. What he did give them was fight.

I must be honest, I'd love for our lot to play with some aggression. We've been rolled over time and again by teams that up the energy against us, and we've had no response to it, no fight at all.
Mostly because we've been visibly unfit all season (& most of last season too)

& all despite having the " state of the art training facilty (TM) "

Which just goes to show how shite BR & his team were. I mean. surely the bare minimum requirement for a football coach is to get your players fit. ****ing hell.

Seagrave so far has been like having an F1 car & giving it to your gran to drive at Silverstone.

Mostly because we've been visibly unfit all season (& most of last season too)

& all despite having the " state of the art training facilty (TM) "

Which just goes to show how shite BR & his team were. I mean. surely the bare minimum requirement for a football coach is to get your players fit. ****ing hell.

Seagrave so far has been like having an F1 car & giving it to your gran to drive at Silverstone.
I think that training facility might be one of the worst things that has happened to us in ages. Antithetical to our stated values as a club, I reckon.

I think that training facility might be one of the worst things that has happened to us in ages. Antithetical to our stated values as a club, I reckon.
Always baffled me. What facilities do you actually need ? We were at Belvoir Drive for decades. Won the PL & had a top class sports science & medical setup that was a major contributor. Plus all the high tech bits & bobs required by modern football. So why invest SO much in a potential white elephant vanity project that didn't seem to be needed ?

Corporate cock waving ?

Or is it like spending 8 grand on a patio extension to add 20 grand to the price of your house when you sell it?

I think I said at the time it rang alarm bells. Echoes of building a new stadium at massive cost then going into admin & getting to play a decade of championship & L1 football in it.

Thank **** the stadium expansion isn't up & running.

40K capacity & 11K in it to watch us play Preston.

Unless we want to stop being little old Leicester though, we have to invest in facilities that will hopefully develop talent/income from selling them on and also invest in infrastructure that will allow the club to bring in larger, more sustainable revenue to enable us to compete at the higher end.

Obviously it's all gone a bit tits up on the pitch but you can't knock the owners for looking at the bigger picture to try and allow us to compete at the top end.

I'm sure many will say we should use that money on the squad instead but with FFP, i do not believe it is that straightforward - money spent on grounds/training ground doesn't count towards FFP.

Back on the training ground, if the players are trying to say it is too nice for them now then we clearly have the wrong players in our squad.

This one isn't really that bad at all. We've had a fabulous run.

But we can't sustain it forever. We're a yo-yo club. Always have been, always will be.

It's still a big *if*, but if we stay up, I don't understand why DS wouldn't deserve the opportunity to manage us next season.

In many of your posts you refer to a massive rebuild and that relegation is inevitable ("We're a yo-yo club"), and yet in others you detract from a manager who re-built and delivered 45 points a season with an equally mediocre squad.

Just to be clear, 45 points would average 13th in the PL. Is there anyone here that wouldn't accept that next season?!

(And if DS keeps us up, I see no reason why he wouldn't be in a position to deliver that).

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663