Does anybody think the Ipswich game will be called off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I hope it will be called off. I would rather watch it when there is better weather. I want to see skill and I believe that bad weather produces "kick and hope" football. If it does go ahead it will be interesting to see whether Nigel prefers the speed of Lloyd Dyer or the physical strength of Dany N'Guessan.

I'm not a fan of this attitude. Why is football played a certain way preferable to football played any other way? Surely, with this being a sport and all, the 'right' way to play is the most effective and most successful way, id est the way most likely to produce a victory. Whether that means 'kick and hope' or intricate and neat triangular passing (often going nowhere in particular) depends on the individual and collective strengths of the team. That does not mean that a team employing the latter is any more of a 'football' team than a team using the former - the last time I checked, both ways are possible within the laws of the game.

Not only is it wrong, I think it is arrogant to suggest that a 'kick and hope' style of play is any less valid (or even pleasing to watch) than any other style. If your preference is to see pretty football played in what so many pundits like to call the 'right' way, please buy yourself a Sky subscription and you can pick and choose your games depending on the style of play. Meanwhile, I'll be at whatever ground City are playing at, regardless of their style of play, appreciating and enjoying their efforts to win the game - the right way or the wrong way.

I'm not a fan of this attitude. Why is football played a certain way preferable to football played any other way? Surely, with this being a sport and all, the 'right' way to play is the most effective and most successful way, id est the way most likely to produce a victory. Whether that means 'kick and hope' or intricate and neat triangular passing (often going nowhere in particular) depends on the individual and collective strengths of the team. That does not mean that a team employing the latter is any more of a 'football' team than a team using the former - the last time I checked, both ways are possible within the laws of the game.

Not only is it wrong, I think it is arrogant to suggest that a 'kick and hope' style of play is any less valid (or even pleasing to watch) than any other style. If your preference is to see pretty football played in what so many pundits like to call the 'right' way, please buy yourself a Sky subscription and you can pick and choose your games depending on the style of play. Meanwhile, I'll be at whatever ground City are playing at, regardless of their style of play, appreciating and enjoying their efforts to win the game - the right way or the wrong way.

Bit of a long winded way to say the same as I did......:icon_bigg

I know. Had to make sure DG read it though.

I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would suggest that every season ticket holder has winning as the number one priority. There are other pleasures to football - most of the chants, the welcome, banter and knowledge of the people who sit near me, the sense of occasion, even the rituals like the posthorn. I am also fascinated by the tactics and enjoy the skill. However, none of them make up for the price of a season ticket.

In the O'Neill years I was happy to see us grind out results, I will be equally happy to see us grind out results if NP gets us to the Premiership. That is reality. We cannot afford the Champions League type footballer. That means that if we get to the Premiership we cannot win by attractive footballer. We may be able to win by fairly stopping the Rooneys and Walcott's from playing; after all Pontus managed it against Juninho.

What I do not accept is that it is arrogant to enjoy skill and tactics. In boxing I prefered Ali to Tyson because I like to see skill. I was pleased to see Clough's Derby beat Revie's Leeds because it was a triumph for the kind of football I enjoyed. In recent times I enjoyed watching Muzzy more than Robbie Savage and Brian Deane more than Ian Marshall. Other people are entitled to prefer watching the Savages and the Marshalls. Football is a game of opinions.

I can understand BM believing my post was mistaken; but arrogant? Blue Maniac is usually so punctilious about his use of English that it is refreshing to find him choosing a word so clumsily.

I would suggest that every season ticket holder has winning as the number one priority.

no way fella, its the taking part that counts. it were all about winning with o'neill and all about taking part with little. we had more proper fun during brian's time

In recent times I enjoyed watching Muzzy more than Robbie Savage and Brian Deane more than Ian Marshall. Other people are entitled to prefer watching the Savages and the Marshalls

now you've havin a girlarf. muzzy over bobbie yes. deano over ian, ian-ian, ian-ian, ian ian-marshall? thats as good as blasphemy from where i'm from...

... and i should know...I live next door to joachim

:tumbleweed:

What I do not accept is that it is arrogant to enjoy skill and tactics.

Not quite the exact opposite of what I said, but not too far off. I understand your use of the word 'skill' in this context, but the word 'tactics' is surely not yours to use in this case - 'tactics' is exactly the thing I was talking up.

In boxing I prefered Ali to Tyson because I like to see skill.

I think it's fair to say most people did - I know when I want to watch an old fight I'm more likely to pick an Ali classic than a Tyson one (although more likely Duran or Leonard than either). I did still enjoy what Tyson did in the ring. Would you suggest he was less valid as a boxer because of the way he fought?

I can understand BM believing my post was mistaken; but arrogant? Blue Maniac is usually so punctilious about his use of English that it is refreshing to find him choosing a word so clumsily.

I thoroughly enjoyed this pair of sentences, mostly for the word 'punctilious' - surely you're thinking of someone else? The reason for the choice of word (and it was not made lightly) was that some people like to place themselves under the banner of 'purist', when in fact the people constantly asking for the rules of the game to be changed to accommodate their own preferences are nothing of the sort.

According to my Mum "it hasn't stopped snowing all night".

Yeah I've had a couple of inches over night....... And some snow too fnar fnar.

Just had an email from the club stating:

Leicester City Football Club would like to assure all supporters of their commitment toward insuring Sunday's match goes ahead.

Wonder who they are using. AXA? Aviva? The man from the Pru.........

i walked by the ground bout an hour ago and despite the snow, the pavements have improved no longer sheet ice but that could all change. upperton road is a lot better now theres fresh snow on it

Stringer on Twitter reckons volunteers could be needed tomorrow to help keep the game on.

As my prior engagement has now been cancelled it would appear that I can now go to the game .... woohoo!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669