Double Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i quite like the sound of j-lo myself. in team of the year and a winger, something we really needed. hopefully momo will feck off now. wahoooo some activity, and it just proves there soesnt have to be rumours flying around for a transfer to occur.

played rob :)

Think low is a right winger.....from a Northampton site:

Low sped down the right and sent over a low cross that somehow eluded the Darlington defence and McGleish was left with a simple tap in at the far post that proved to be a winning strike.

Glad we have got AJ, he's a player with experience in the Championship & Premiership level. However, he is 32 & I wonder how long it will be untill he is past his best.
Low is pretty much unknown. But according to TommyK's stats, is a decent player. But can he make the step up to Championship level?

Happy with the Johnson signing will give us that much needed steel in midfield, and means we arent putting too much pressure on young weso to play a full season.

Low? Know nothing about him, but surely he cant be as bad as Hamill and Sylla :102:

And am I correct in thinking that when Johnson went to forest he turend us down?

I work in Birmingham I've just emailed my colleague who is a Baggies season ticket holder who had this to say about Andy Johnson

""great in his day but past it.... legs have gone but will fight, kick and battle all day long.""

sounds ok from that seeing as this friend of mine has a rep for being harsh as f**k!

dankelly said:
I work in Birmingham I've just emailed my colleague who is a Baggies season ticket holder who had this to say about Andy Johnson

""great in his day but past it.... legs have gone but will fight, kick and battle all day long.""

sounds ok from that seeing as this friend of mine has a rep for being harsh as f**k!

Guess thats why its only a one year contract....injury problems.

For those with World access, these a few goals from Low under the Northampton bit.

He looks like a bloody big lad for a winger!

Last edited:
That's what we need. I have been saying for weeks we need a "bruiser" in the middle

from the link i posted earlier:

"Former England Youth international Andy Johnson left Norwich City in July 1997 to join Nottingham Forest for £2.2 million. The final months of his career somewhat overshadowed his achievements for the Canaries and lost him the respect of the Carrow Road crowd.

Bristol-born Andy joined Norwich as a trainee and captained the Youth side. He signed professional forms in July 1990 and made his league debut against Sheffield Wednesday in April 1992. The following year, he began to establish himself in the first team but was called upon to represent England at the World Youth Championships in Australia. He failed to re-establish his place on return from down under and had a couple of disappointing years with the Canaries. He made his mark in Norwich's Division One campaign in 1995/96. He occupied a central midfield role combining strong tackles with an eye for goal. He made a total of 30 appearances that season scoring 8 times. He began well under Mike Walker during the 1996/97 season but as Norwich slipped further away from the promotion places, Andy grew more disappointed. He later stated "I felt I was going stale; that with a move to a big club like Forest I could fulfill a few of my ambitions in football. I couldn't have stayed - I've been here ten years; I needed a move." He also suffered niggling injuries and this frustration spilled over onto his disciplinary record. A fracas between him, Carl Bradshaw and a local taxi driver led to assault charges being filed against him. He submitted a transfer request in the early part of 1997 and was effectively frozen out of the first team. He made 27 appearances that season for Norwich netting 5 times.

Nottingham Forest submitted a £2.2 million bid for him which was finally accepted despite Norwich's attempts to up Andy's price to £2.5 million. Late bids from Martin O'Neill's Leicester City and Crystal Palace also failed to knock the Forest deal off course. With Forest winning the Division One championship, a clause in Andy's transfer generated an extra £300,000 for the Carrow Road coffers.

Discovering that his grandmother was Welsh, Andy was called up by Bobby Gould into the Welsh international squad and made his debut in the 2-0 defeat against Italy on September 6th 1998.

Sport First, on 30th May 1999, claimed that Leicester manager Martin O'Neill was planning a £2.5million swoop for Andy Johnson. In August 2000, Andy was linked with a move to Birmingham City in exchange for Zimbabwe winger Peter Ndlovu whom Forest manager David Platt had wanted at City Ground for some time. In November 2000, the Unofficial Football Transfers website reported that Andy was a target for ambitious Welsh club Cardiff City. In July 2001, it was suggested that West Ham saw Andy Johnson as a midfield target if they were unable to secure first choice signing Lee Carsley from Coventry. In August 2001, Forest put all their players on the transfer list as a result of the club's financial predicament. Johnson also had a falling out with new manager Paul Hart and refused to be only a substitute. Johnson said that he would seek a move and that a return to Norwich would be appreciated as he "had some great years at Norwich and always got on well with everyone there." Nigel Worthington stated that he had no need for another central midfielder especially with the wages that Andy commanded. Cardff City again expressed an interest in signing Johnson. Andy's nightmare at The City Ground ended when he joined Gary Megson's West Bromwich Albion for a fee reported to be either £100,000 or £200,000 depending which paper one reads.

Despite promotion to the Premiership, Andy submitted a transfer request in mid August 2002 as the new contract he had been offered was not deemed suitable for a Premiership player (in Andy's opinion).

In March 2003, speculation was rife that Leicester would approach West Brom to sign Andy for £500,000 if Leicester were promoted to the Premiership. This story has even more to support it following the football results from 19-21 April 2003 that saw Leicester promoted and West Brom relegated. Squeezed out of Megson's first team plans by the signing of James O'Connor (Stoke) and Artim Sakiri (Macedonia), Johnson was allegedly the subject of a £250,000 bid from West Ham on August 20th 2003. In the end, Andy stayed with the Baggies and helped them win promotion back to the Premiership

On January 8th 2006, The People reported that Bristol Rovers were preparing a £350,000 bid for Johnson. The following week saw the News of the World claim that Preston manager Billy Davies had joined the hunt for Johnson. The People added the same week that Leeds and Notts Forest were also keen on Johnson. On 26th March 2006, the News of the World reported that Sheffield Wednesday and Leicester had approached the Baggies about loaning Johnson before the transfer deadline day but were rebuffed. However Johnson will be allowed to leave the club during the summer when he is out of contract. The following week saw Sheffield United added to the list of suitors according to the League Paper. "

Melton Fox said:
That's what we need. I have been saying for weeks we need a "bruiser" in the middle
100% right. And it doesn't matter too much if he's lost a bit of stamina, we've got plenty of youngsters to do the running for him.

SamuearlJackson said:
On January 8th 2006, The People reported that Bristol Rovers were preparing a £350,000 bid for Johnson. The following week saw the News of the World claim that Preston manager Billy Davies had joined the hunt for Johnson. The People added the same week that Leeds and Notts Forest were also keen on Johnson. On 26th March 2006, the News of the World reported that Sheffield Wednesday and Leicester had approached the Baggies about loaning Johnson before the transfer deadline day but were rebuffed. However Johnson will be allowed to leave the club during the summer when he is out of contract. The following week saw Sheffield United added to the list of suitors according to the League Paper. "

I think it would have been quickier to list the championship teams not after him.

I have seen Low play for Northampton. Quick left winger, appartently one of King of Wingers in League 2. Widely respected in that league, interesting to see if he will be good enough. He's workmanlike anyways.

Johnson is an ideal signing.

Hazzman said:
I have seen Low play for Northampton. Quick left winger, appartently one of King of Wingers in League 2. Widely respected in that league, interesting to see if he will be good enough. He's workmanlike anyways.

Johnson is an ideal signing.
Sounds good. The worry is that he will turn out to be another Gillespie or Sylla, can be brilliant but often can't be arsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566