Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a dodgy buy in the first place. At his age he should never have been given a contract of that length. Will be hard to shift because of his wages. What worries me is that it appears that we are looking (according to paper talk) to sign players of the same ilk. Kish is 32, N'Gotty is 36 this week and De Zeeuw is 37. 2 have been released and he other has refuse a one year extension to his contract. So are we liable to have these players here for the next 3 years. They are not going to drop down for nothing. Potentially good short term signings but each has the potential to become another Andy Johnson looking for another decent pay day whether they play or not.

Completely agree.

To be honest the age of some of these players is absurd.

We have seen all this before and where it leads to. Injury prone players winding down their careers and relatively unmotivated.....i.e. they know that should we get promotion it's bye bye to them anyway.

I don't think there is a quick fix available through bringing in such players - maybe one would be ok....but generally we should be trying to build a young hungry team. Kelly certainly achieved a young side....but he apparantly lacks the ability to motivate. Possibly MA would achieve better results with a young team.

I actually have to disagree with you here redditch. At the time I think most people knew this was a poor signing and I for one recall being worried about it for some time before he came here.

His gaff's were the legendary up north, and everyone knew it.

I initially thought good during the first week or so but then realised after reading celtic fans comments and questioning why he was been dropped from celtic and especially after the game against sheff utd what a mistake we made.

Personally I think henderson is better then douglas I have never seen logan play. But given logan is younger so has the potential to improve and probably on lower wages I would say douglas is the one to get rid if possible.

Completely agree.

To be honest the age of some of these players is absurd.

We have seen all this before and where it leads to. Injury prone players winding down their careers and relatively unmotivated.....i.e. they know that should we get promotion it's bye bye to them anyway.

I don't think there is a quick fix available through bringing in such players - maybe one would be ok....but generally we should be trying to build a young hungry team. Kelly certainly achieved a young side....but he apparantly lacks the ability to motivate. Possibly MA would achieve better results with a young team.

the young hungry team doesnt work craig tried it.

We need experienced players the question is if 36 and 37 pushing it too far, if these players are on one year contracts or even better pay as you play then it may be a risk worth taking but anything other then 1 year deals would be poor. Age loses you pace but you gain positional sense and the ability to time tackles better so these players could turn out good enough.

All about balance, that's all. We need to get the balance between experience and hunger right. For me, the likes of De Zeeuw could add far more than performances on the pitch by inspiring the younger CBs to tighten up.

A lot of old toss is said about age in footballers. Nowadays, players that look after themselves well should be able to play solidly until their late 30's. Players aren't battered about like they used to be and the treatments and training available are on a different planet to 10 years ago even.

Far more important is hunger and the right mental attitude. If you're 37 and hungry, bring him in. If you're 25 and can't be arsed, feck off. We've bought the wrong older players before now, i.e. Douglas. In contrast, De Zeeuw is a class person with an outstanding attitude to the game. How old he is matters very little as long as he can physically get about.

All about balance, that's all. We need to get the balance between experience and hunger right. For me, the likes of De Zeeuw could add far more than performances on the pitch by inspiring the younger CBs to tighten up.

Spot on this is the same for any team at any level of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669