End of Season 19/20 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason that I've been pointing out the new contract that we gave to BR in December is that it would have had a detrimental effect on our January budget.

According to reports at the time, by making him the third highest paid manager in the league (behind only Guardiola and Mourinho), we spent an absolute fortune.

A new 5.5 year contract on £8m-£10m a year plus new 'double their money' deals for the rest of his main backroom staff committed a lot of money that then had to be accounted for somehow.

That's approx. £30m pounds gone just before the window opened.

Add to that the impact that such lucrative new deals for 'some' of the backroom staff whilst others stayed on the same deals they were on previously. Not exactly good for team spirit.
Should we have let him go to Arsenal?

I think the problem was that we were being quoted ridiculous sums of money for the likes of Ake and Tarkowski. In that situation you either massively overspend or you remain patient and wait for the next transfer window.

I think one of the problems was that we had identified Demiral as the defensive option. Soyuncu's partner for Turkey. Unfortunately, just as the window was opening, he suddenly started getting games for Juventus after being sat on the bench for most of the season. And then of course he did his ACL knackering everything up.

Should we have let him go to Arsenal?

I don't believe that BR was going to go to Arsenal as they were always most likely to recruit Arteta. However, BR and his agent played Top like a naive child. They used the expression of interest from Arsenal - which was true but their odd recruitment approach means that they speak to several candidates - to screw us at his strongest possible position.

BR used the leverage of our league position in December to exploit us. Fair play to him but we should never have agreed to such a salary. We have the 9th highest budget in the league so we cannot be paying a manager more than Klopp, OGS or Lampard. Or more than Arsenal were going to pay their new manager.

I think one of the problems was that we had identified Demiral as the defensive option. Soyuncu's partner for Turkey. Unfortunately, just as the window was opening, he suddenly started getting games for Juventus after being sat on the bench for most of the season. And then of course he did his ACL knackering everything up.
Yes, that also.

I think the problem was that we were being quoted ridiculous sums of money for the likes of Ake and Tarkowski. In that situation you either massively overspend or you remain patient and wait for the next transfer window.
Speculate to accumulate. We didn't speculate and we won't accumulate as much as we should have. I'll repeat, not buying a CB after Maguire left was ****ing idiotic. We strengthened Manchester United without strengthening ourselves. That didn't work out too well for us.

Speculate to accumulate. We didn't speculate and we won't accumulate as much as we should have. I'll repeat, not buying a CB after Maguire left was ****ing idiotic. We strengthened Manchester United without strengthening ourselves. That didn't work out too well for us.

We haven't replaced Mahrez, that's the biggest let down of all. We need to find someone in that position. Even more than a striker or a CB.

But yes, Maguire is a top defender and we didn't replace him. We need another top quality CB.

It should be remembered that the club is nowhere near as important to King Power as it is to us supporters. They already get the huge international exposure they want for their business just through our continued presence in the most commercially savvy football league in the world. Increasing that exposure through Champions' League qualification probably isn't worth the necessary financial gamble.
I think I preferred it when football was just a game.

Also another positive apart from Vardy's Golden Boot, and N'Didi's top tackling, Barnes has had an excellent first full season with 6 goals and 8 assists (joint 9th highest).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-172011_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-172011_Chrome.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200728-171952_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-171952_Chrome.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 14
If Top's ambitions are genuine then we really need to spend big and stop trying to do it on the cheap. If you don't spend enough you end up relying on players like Bennett!

A top class winger and a midfield leader would elevate our first team and we currently have a very weak squad, particularly in Central defence and creative midfield.
We don't necessarily need to spend big we need to recruit well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265