End of Season 19/20 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also another positive apart from Vardy's Golden Boot, and N'Didi's top tackling, Barnes has had an excellent first full season with 6 goals and 8 assists (joint 9th highest).

Also, another stellar season for N'Ddidi.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/leices...kler-accolade-with/15j9pm4up51bm1btgk2mfxk23h

This is the third season in a row that he's finished top tackler and that's the first time in Premier League history that a player has done this thrice in a row. Retaining him should be one of our most important priorities this season.

In terms of tackles per minute on the pitch, he's clearly first. Ricardo finished third despite missing the last 8 matches.

Great. Now if he can stop passing to the opposition, stop getting caught in possession, and maybe score the odd goal or two, he might become the payer some people think he already is.

All I can say is let's spend some ****ing money and show our ambition to improve... We've may not have got in the Champions League but we at least took Man U's Champions League money in exchange for a duffer at the back.
A duffer who had the last laugh and in doing so vindicated his decision to leave us. While Evans and Soyuncu were sitting in the strands due to a lack of professionalism.

Great. Now if he can stop passing to the opposition, stop getting caught in possession, and maybe score the odd goal or two, he might become the payer some people think he already is.

Bloody hell. A bit pessimistic!! He's definitely not the finished article. But we can still celebrate the fact that we have the League's top tackler for three seasons running.

Ndidi has been a bit off Since the break but he’s one of the key players that makes use tick. Were you complaining when Kante wasn’t scoring?

I think if we can hold on to this 7 then that is a GREAT start
Schmeichel
Ricardo Soyuncu Evans
Ndidi
Maddison
Vardy

These guys will be the spine that help us deliver over the next 2 years, when Vardy will probably have run his race.

Important players i'd keep are: Tielemans, Iheanacho, Barnes, Praet, Albrighton

Solid potential but maybe need to manage them into the team effectively over the course of next season: Hamza Choudhury, James Justin, Luke Thomas, George Hirst

That effectively gives us 16 players that you would be happy to see in the 23 or 25.....(it might go up if 5 subs continues to be a thing).

Players i believe will move on are: Chilwell (Chelsea) Gray (promoted side, i'd go West Brom), Mendy, Bennett, Fuchs, Benkovic

So based on that we need a net £50-75m spend (assuming that we get £75m for Chilwell and Gray combined) on 5 players.
left back and centre back to top 6 standard
centre back clearly good enough for Prem to play 4th centre back
wing forward who can play left or right to top 6 standard
striker to offer something different to Vardy and Iheanacho. Not a punt or a last minute signing.

That will take us up to 21 solid players and a back up goalie with room for 3 players to emerge from the u23s.

If Top's ambitions are genuine then we really need to spend big and stop trying to do it on the cheap. If you don't spend enough you end up relying on players like Bennett!

A top class winger and a midfield leader would elevate our first team and we currently have a very weak squad, particularly in Central defence and creative midfield.

Ndidi has been a bit off Since the break but he’s one of the key players that makes use tick. Were you complaining when Kante wasn’t scoring?
No I wasn’t. And I recognize Ndidi is an important player for us. But there are obvious areas he needs to improve upon and that has been the case since he joined us. And while I’m not saying we need to replace him, I do think he is nowhere near as good as some fans and some in the media suggest he is. And yes the odd goal or two would be nice from a midfielder. For instance that chance against Utd yesterday, he sh/could have got that on target.

If Top's ambitions are genuine then we really need to spend big and stop trying to do it on the cheap. If you don't spend enough you end up relying on players like Bennett!

A top class winger and a midfield leader would elevate our first team and we currently have a very weak squad, particularly in Central defence and creative midfield.

I doubt the money exists. King Power's bread and butter is duty free and the airline industry won't recover from covid for at least a couple of years.

Even if it does exist, it would take hundreds and hundreds of millions to have us consistently challenging teams which either have limitless billions from human rights abusing nation states, or which have decades of the inbuilt advantages of historical success, reputation and location. And even then it might not work. So where's the return?

It should be remembered that the club is nowhere near as important to King Power as it is to us supporters. They already get the huge international exposure they want for their business just through our continued presence in the most commercially savvy football league in the world. Increasing that exposure through Champions' League qualification probably isn't worth the necessary financial gamble.

We need rid of players who don't offer enough. We need to be ambitious. We need a better option than Iheanacho. We need a better option than Praet. We need a better option than Gray. We have so little in the way of genuine creative quality and we must try to reflctify that. Silva, Mendy, Amartey, Ghezzal, Slimani, Diabate..... It really is a horror show of shit. None of these players has what it takes to be a solid PL player or even a decent enough backup for a club whose ambition it is to become a permanent fixture in the top 6. Many of us on here were crying out for the club to buy a CB when we let Maguire go and again in January. We were told by many others on here that it wasn't necessary, that we had all that we needed blah, blah, blah. Turns out we did need that CB after all.... It was ****ing obvious that we needed a quality replacement but we didn't bother. We have to cover this area and we have to get some creativity through the doors in the form of a wide player or two. Make no mistake though, a striker is an absolute must. Iheanacho is not the answer unless the question is 'Who is guaranteed to do a few good things before ****ing it up with a brain fart?'

I doubt the money exists. King Power's bread and butter is duty free and the airline industry won't recover from covid for at least a couple of years.

Even if it does exist, it would take hundreds and hundreds of millions to have us consistently challenging teams which either have limitless billions from human rights abusing nation states, or which have decades of the inbuilt advantages of historical success, reputation and location. And even then it might not work. So where's the return?

It should be remembered that the club is nowhere near as important to King Power as it is to us supporters. They already get the huge international exposure they want for their business just through our continued presence in the most commercially savvy football league in the world. Increasing that exposure through Champions' League qualification probably isn't worth the necessary financial gamble.
Your probably right, in which case expectations need adjusting.

With the 9th highest budget, our first half of the season was amazing and the second half (12th in form table) was mildly disappointing.

The owner talks about Europe and top 4, but the reality is we are actually mid table fodder until he puts his money where his mouth is.

I don't accept that the second half of the season was only 'mildly annoying' given where we were with fourteen games remaining. I think that was just shit management.

But in general I agree. There is a strong correlation between money spent on player salaries and final league position. With good management and recruitment we can hope for the odd season challenging to qualify for Europe. But that can only last as long as it takes for bigger clubs to poach our managers/players unless there is significant structural change at the club. Lots of other clubs are in the same position too, so we are competing to have the odd very good season with plenty of others. It will be our turn only rarely.

I think if we can hold on to this 7 then that is a GREAT start
Schmeichel
Ricardo Soyuncu Evans
Ndidi
Maddison
Vardy

These guys will be the spine that help us deliver over the next 2 years, when Vardy will probably have run his race.

Important players i'd keep are: Tielemans, Iheanacho, Barnes, Praet, Albrighton

Solid potential but maybe need to manage them into the team effectively over the course of next season: Hamza Choudhury, James Justin, Luke Thomas, George Hirst

That effectively gives us 16 players that you would be happy to see in the 23 or 25.....(it might go up if 5 subs continues to be a thing).

Players i believe will move on are: Chilwell (Chelsea) Gray (promoted side, i'd go West Brom), Mendy, Bennett, Fuchs, Benkovic

So based on that we need a net £50-75m spend (assuming that we get £75m for Chilwell and Gray combined) on 5 players.
left back and centre back to top 6 standard
centre back clearly good enough for Prem to play 4th centre back
wing forward who can play left or right to top 6 standard
striker to offer something different to Vardy and Iheanacho. Not a punt or a last minute signing.

That will take us up to 21 solid players and a back up goalie with room for 3 players to emerge from the u23s.
Hope that isn't the same Schmeichel that played against Bournemouth and Man u
If he left I wouldn be overly bothered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4181
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371