England squad to face France (friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Anglia Fox

Ok, I know it's only a friendly, but in my opinion some of these call-ups are just ridiculous. I've always been a believer that if a player can't get into the first team of the club they are playing for, then they don't deserve to be called up for England.

Chris Smalling for example, is very much a fringe player for Manchester United, being behind the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, and even Wes Brown. However, he's managed to get an inclusion in the England squad.

I think the same could be said for Keiron Gibbs. Why does someone warrant a place in the England squad when they haven't even managed to establish themselves in the starting line-up of the club they play for? Has England really sunk that low in stature?

Then of course there's Jay Bothroyd. My first thoughts on this are: if a player hasn't really been that impressive an Premiership level, they probably shouldn't be picked for England. Obviously, he's been excellent so far in the Championship. However, who's to say strikers like Marlon Harewood, Jason Roberts, DJ Campbell, Andy Johnson, or Cameron Jerome wouldn't also have scored 15 goals if they were currently playing for a Championship club? We all know they're nowhere near the England squad.

Last edited:
I think Cameron Jerome is a good shout based on the current injury crisis amongst the strikers.

Kevin Davies must have had a shit in Capello's car for Carlton Cole to picked ahead of him as cover for Carroll and Agbonlahor

Are you suggesting DJ should get a call-up?

No, I was trying to make the point that if players like him and the others mentioned were playing in the Championship, they could seem as good as Jay Bothroyd is at the moment.

Bothroyd in the England squad is ridiculous

Chris Smalling will be a fantastic defender. He and Phil jones should be blooded in the full international set up just to get them blooded, involved etc.

I think Smalling is more of a crazy selection than Bothroyd personally.

I'm intrigued by Bothroyd being there, but maybe it's worth giving him a go. We're not exactly blessed with fantastic strikers at the moment.

Glad to see Andy Carroll in there and think he can be a great player. I hope he takes his chance, and continues to get more!

Chris Smalling for example, is very much a fringe player for Manchester United, being behind the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, and even Wes Brown. However, he's managed to get an inclusion in the England squad.

I think the same could be said for Keiron Gibbs. Why does someone warrant a place in the England squad when they haven't even managed to establish themselves in the starting line-up of the club they play for? Has England really sunk that low in stature?

Smalling was in the Under 21s squad...I assume he's been brought in for cover on a late pull-out. You say fringe player, he's played three of the Champions League games for Manchester United and kept a clean sheet in everyone. Wes Brown for the matter is internationally retired. Surprised Phil Jones didn't get the spot instead.

Kieran Gibbs is a superb prospect but he's been injured most of this season.

The strikeforce is rather car crash though.

I think Smalling is more of a crazy selection than Bothroyd personally.

I'm intrigued by Bothroyd being there, but maybe it's worth giving him a go. We're not exactly blessed with fantastic strikers at the moment.

Glad to see Andy Carroll in there and think he can be a great player. I hope he takes his chance, and continues to get more!

Carroll is a doubt after picking up an injury yesterday. Carlton Cole called up as cover.

Smalling and Gibbs are good forward looking selections who I would expect to be heavily involved in the set up for years to come. The sooner they are both comfortable in the international set up, the better. Bothroyd is in some form but has far from the requisite quality.

Surely this is the entire point of friendly games - it gives the manager an opportunity to look at fringe players.

Bothroyd is vastly improved from when he was in the Premier League before. Good shout IMO.

I recently heard someone say Carlton Cole has never scored two goals in a league game.
If true, that's astonishingly bad..

I recently heard someone say Carlton Cole has never scored two goals in a league game.
If true, that's astonishingly bad..

I have found a reference to two goals v Gillingham in 2002 for Chelski in the League Cup. :icon_bigg

If we are expecting to get to the latter stages of competitions with players like Cole we will continue to be disappointed.

A walk in a park on a Sunday generally reveals the main reason we will never develop in international competitions. If, for ever more, we made every pair of jumpers being used for goalposts measure 3ft apart. It would do wonders.

Absolutely dumbfounded how Jay bleeding Bothroyd can be picked ahead of Kevin Davies? Cameron Jerome?

He might be banging them in for Cardiff in the Championship, but IMO its quite possibly the worst decision I've witnessed by an England gaffer.

Absolutely dumbfounded how Jay bleeding Bothroyd can be picked ahead of Kevin Davies? Cameron Jerome?

He might be banging them in for Cardiff in the Championship, but IMO its quite possibly the worst decision I've witnessed by an England gaffer.
He hasn't kicked a ball for you yet and you're already slating him.

Par for the course I guess.

You can't be serious. Kevin 'Elbows' Davies and Cameron 'Hit and Miss' Jerome over a man who's strong, quick, physical and quite frankly a pain in the arse and has scored eight in six games?

Let me ask you a couple of questions. Firstly, have you ever seen Bothroyd play? Secondly, what qualifies you to question a manager of Capello's record? And thirdly, is form not important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669