England's 23 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

Just wondering, if you were Fabio Capello, which seven players from the provisional 30 man squad would you not take to South Africa?

Here's the list of the 30 players:

Robert Green
Joe Hart
David James

Leighton Baines
Jamie Carragher
Ashley Cole
Michael Dawson
Rio Ferdinand
Glen Johnson
Ledley King
John Terry
Matthew Upson
Stephen Warnock

Gareth Barry
Michael Carrick
Joe Cole
Steven Gerrard
Tom Huddlestone
Adam Johnson
Frank Lampard
Aaron Lennon
James Milner
Scott Parker
Theo Walcott
Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent
Peter Crouch
Jermain Defoe
Emile Heskey
Wayne Rooney

I've selected the seven players that I wouldn't take in bold.

I'd leave Carragher, Baines, Warnock, Huddlestone, Johnson, Walcott and Heskey behind.

Robert Green
Joe Hart
David James

Leighton Baines
Jamie Carragher
Ashley Cole
Michael Dawson
Rio Ferdinand
Glen Johnson
Ledley King
John Terry
Matthew Upson
Stephen Warnock

Gareth Barry
Michael Carrick
Joe Cole
Steven Gerrard
Tom Huddlestone
Adam Johnson
Frank Lampard
Aaron Lennon
James Milner
Scott Parker
Theo Walcott
Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent
Peter Crouch
Jermain Defoe
Emile Heskey
Wayne Rooney

Would leave behind those in bold.

Leighton Baines
John Terry
Stephen Warnock

Frank Lampard
Aaron Lennon
Shaun Wright-Phillips

Emile Heskey

Would leave these behind. Really. Terry is a disgrace and Lampard has missed some penalties recently :icon_lol:

Good job Fabio is in charge really!

Robert Green
Joe Hart
David James

Leighton Baines
Jamie Carragher
Ashley Cole
Michael Dawson
Rio Ferdinand
Glen Johnson
Ledley King
John Terry
Matthew Upson
Stephen Warnock

Gareth Barry
Michael Carrick
Joe Cole
Steven Gerrard
Tom Huddlestone
Adam Johnson
Frank Lampard
Aaron Lennon
James Milner
Scott Parker
Theo Walcott
Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent
Peter Crouch
Jermain Defoe
Emile Heskey
Wayne Rooney
I'd leave these eight and bring in Jack Rodwell as Barry's understudy.

I wouldn't take Dawson, Baines, SWP, Lennon, Huddlestone, Parker or Bent.

I don't think Capello will take Warnock, Dawson, SWP, Parker, Huddlestone, Bent or Johnson.

Are people being ****ing serious when they say they would drop Heskey instead of Bent. Pure Madness

Robert Green
Joe Hart
David James

Leighton Baines
Jamie Carragher
Ashley Cole
Michael Dawson
Rio Ferdinand
Glen Johnson
Ledley King
John Terry
Matthew Upson
Stephen Warnock

Gareth Barry
Michael Carrick
Joe Cole
Steven Gerrard
Tom Huddlestone
Adam Johnson
Frank Lampard
Aaron Lennon
James Milner
Scott Parker
Theo Walcott
Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent
Peter Crouch
Jermain Defoe
Emile Heskey
Wayne Rooney

Are people being ****ing serious when they say they would drop Heskey instead of Bent. Pure Madness

Yes and I also think Leicester fans always wildly overrate Heskey because he is a Leicester lad and fan.

He's been shit for years, when Wigan fans consider you not good enough I think that says it all.

Bent has scored goals at an excellent rate for about 5 years now at Premier League level. He is the type of player who can score a winning goal when brought off the bench. Whereas Heskey can't even get in the first team at a mid-table Premier League side

People always back up Heskey by stating this what he offers to the team bullshit, but it's bollocks, we don't play any better with him in the team at all. All he does is just falls over at the slightest touch from an opposition player and gives away needless fouls who wins a few headers most of which don't go to intended target anyway, his assist rate is very poor and has always been. If we're going to play another striker who can actually assist and link up the attack then fine, get a player who actually does this consistently, if not I'd much rather take a player who can hit a barn door from 5 yards instead.

Last edited:
Going off England's current strike rate, it suggests we score more goals with him out of the team. :icon_roll

Last edited:
And the opposition of late.....

Well, Brazil for one.

And the opposition in the games when Rooney and Heskey were playing together...

Last edited:
Let's get some facts

Brazil was Bent and Rooney upfront.

Last three games he's played no part in...eight goals for England against Egypt, Mexico and Belarus. One of those teams qualifies for the WC.

Last four games he's started in including Holland away, Croatia 5-1, Ukraine away and Slovenia. Two games in difficult away games, one the finest England performance in a while and another team qualified for the WC. Rooney played alongside him in all these games, last scoring against Croatia. (9 goals for England).

Bent's got no international record at all. Looked hopeless against Brazil
and not much better against Japan.

Last edited:
Brazil was Bent and Rooney upfront.

Errrmmmm.... yes, isn't that my point. You asked the opposition since he had stopped playing alongside Rooney, yes? :icon_conf

Last three games he's played no part in...eight goals for England against Egypt, Mexico and Belarus. One of those teams qualifies for the WC.

Last four games he's started in including Holland away, Croatia 5-1, Ukraine away and Slovenia. Two games in difficult away games, one the finest England performance in a while and another team qualified for the WC. Rooney played alongside him in all these games, last scoring against Croatia. (9 goals for England).

The 5-1 win was very little down to him though, more Walcott. Ukraine we lost and were as woeful as we have been the past 2 games, the only difference being we managed to grind out results in the past 2 games. A 2-1 win at home to Slovenia is hardly world beating.

And as for the 2-2 draw to Holland, we were 2-0 down until he came off at HT for Defoe, who scored 2, so using that as an argument for him is absolutely ridiculous.

Bent's got no international record at all. Looked hopeless against Brazil
and not much better against Japan.

Looking hopeless against Brazil isn't hard. Heskey didn't look much good against Japan when he came on, no one did it was an all round team shocker. He's proven to be a lot better player at Premiership level than Heskey in recent years, who just sits on the bench for Villa, while Bent fights for the golden boot. Premier League level is as good as international level imo, so I have no qualms about him not being proven at it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670