England's 23 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ture.

You don't rate him Homer? Would play Crouch?

I'd play whoever Rooney wants to have alongside him - the one and only hope we have of getting anywhere is if Rooney plays well and scores, so whatever he wants he gets. If Rooney doesn't fire, or gets injured, then it really doesn't matter who plays 'cos we'll get shat on

Form, stats (from years ago), formation etc. is therefore utterly irrelevant

I'd play whoever Rooney wants to have alongside him - the one and only hope we have of getting anywhere is if Rooney plays well and scores, so whatever he wants he gets. If Rooney doesn't fire, or gets injured, then it really doesn't matter who plays 'cos we'll get shat on

Form, stats (from years ago), formation etc. is therefore utterly irrelevant

I'd agree with all of that. Whatever makes little Wazza happy.

Which was nine long years ago.......

I can count!!

I was just pointing when Heskey did ACTUALLY score a few goals and yes it was a while ago and in recent seasons his score ratio for a STRIKER is pretty abysmal.

But I too reckon he will be good as a partner for Rooney though -Cos some of these foreign teams just don't like playing against him you see "they don't like it up 'em Capt Mainwaring they don't like it up 'em"

Last edited:
Ture.

You don't rate him Homer? Would play Crouch?

Crouch is the one the argument should be about more than Heskey, and even then there should be no argument that he should be nowhere near the England squad. Bent should be there instead of Crouch IMO.

Crouch is the one the argument should be about more than Heskey, and even then there should be no argument that he should be nowhere near the England squad. Bent should be there instead of Crouch IMO.

His goalscoring record on the international stage surely means he should be in the squad?

Crouch's goalscoring record for England is better than Rooney's.

He's played every game in the league this season, while Heskey has been on the bench, he has more assists and more goals than Heskey over the past few seasons every single year. He also has a fantastic first touch and is far more skilful than the likes of Heskey, Defoe and Bent as well as having the height advantage in the air.

Why exactly should we drop Crouch? He is our 2nd best striker by some distance.

Defoe I would also question, but Rooney's and Crouch's places should be set in stone.

He's played every game in the league this season, while Heskey has been on the bench, he has more assists and more goals than Heskey over the past few seasons every single year. He also has a fantastic first touch and is far more skilful than the likes of Heskey, Defoe and Bent as well as having the height advantage in the air.

Defoe I would also question, but Rooney's and Crouch's places should be set in stone.

I agree on Defoe.... for me, it should've been Defoe vs Bent.... Rooney, Heskey, Crouch all give us different options and add things in their own way.... Defoe and Bent are very similar, and Bent has seemingly been better at that in the last season at the very least

I don't agree, I think Crouch is a lumbering pillock who doesn't get away with his shirt pulling, climbing and elbowing on the big stage, which is pretty much his entire game.

Take the goals against Mexico, the first one he was practically ripping the guys shirt off holding him down to get his header back across, and the second one he was yards off side and hit it in with his hand.

For such a tall guy I've never seen anyone need to foul so much to win a header, and against the better teams they will just give away freekicks all game.

What will happen to the squad numbers? Does Dawson take Ferdinand's number 5, or will he become 24?

What will happen to the squad numbers? Does Dawson take Ferdinand's number 5, or will he become 24?

Only the numbers 1 to 23 are allowed.

I don't agree, I think Crouch is a lumbering pillock who doesn't get away with his shirt pulling, climbing and elbowing on the big stage, which is pretty much his entire game.

Take the goals against Mexico, the first one he was practically ripping the guys shirt off holding him down to get his header back across, and the second one he was yards off side and hit it in with his hand.

For such a tall guy I've never seen anyone need to foul so much to win a header, and against the better teams they will just give away freekicks all game.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I find him a very skilful player who's gangly appearence can give the impression of awkwardness when really he's far from it.

Either way, we'd be mad not to take the player with a goalscoring ratio better than Rooney's, Owen's or Shearer's and if you go goals to start ratios, then it's even better than Lineker's, Greaves' or Lofthouse's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670