England's 23 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Englush optimism there. :icon_lol: World Class in the second round? Serbia or Australia are hardly world class.

I think we will make the semi-finals no problem.

Tbh, I'm surprised he hasn't given Crouch more of a chance if that's what he's been doing. Crouch's goalscoring record at international level is insane, even better than Rooney's. 21 goals in 20 starts is Gerd Muller territory. His assist count over the past few seasons is also vastly superior than Heskey's too: http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/reports/playerpage.asp?player=346049

I'm surprised Ronney and Crouch have never been tried that much together considering we've only tried them together 3 times since Cappello has been here and we've won 3-1, 6-0 and 2-1 which included beating Ukraine who we lost to with Rooney and Heskey up front together, and beating Andorra by a bigger margin when they played up front together than when Rooney and Heskey did.
I seem to remember Crouch and Rooney playing a lot in qualifiers for the 2008 EC. We all know how successful that was.

I seem to remember Crouch and Rooney playing a lot in qualifiers for the 2008 EC. We all know how successful that was.

But you're talking about the form of players 3 or 4 years a go with a different manager, playing a different style. Let's not forget McLaren's usage of the ancient 3-5-2 formation that worked awfully.

Failure in a different style or not, I'm surprised Cappello hasn't tried to play our 2 best strikers together more often, when he continues to press on with the Gerrard and Lampard double which has failed in different styles under different management in the past. Especially when they have done well in those 3 games they have been tried together. Maybe he's saving his tactics as not to give them away til the WC though, like Sir Alf did. Wouldn't be surprised as there's been all type of talk of playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 in the press this past week.

Last edited:
Was hoping that Huddlestone was going to be included and go, he can make a impact, good midfielder with good passing of the ball as well as a eye for goal.

2 goals this season and 6 in his last 106 games. :102:

He may score great goals, but he's not exactly prolific.

I would've taken Parker instead of Carrick, Walcott instead of Wright-Phillips, and probably Bent instead of Upson (don't see why we need so many centre backs)

But, I don't think any of them would make a huge difference, so not overly unhappy with the squad.

Just hope we don't pick up any injuries to the first team!

Be interesting to see who he picks in midfield. Gerrard, Lampard and Barry are probably a given.... but then I'd say it's fairly open between Milner, Joe Cole and Aaron Lennon, and maybe SWP as well for the wing spot.

Squad numbers confirmed:

1. David James
2. Glen Johnson
3. Ashley Cole
4. Steven Gerrard
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. John Terry
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Frank Lampard
9. Peter Crouch
10. Wayne Rooney
11. Joe Cole
12. Robert Green
13. Stephen Warnock
14. Gareth Barry
15. Matthew Upson
16. James Milner
17. Shaun Wright-Phillips
18. Jamie Carragher
19. Jermain Defoe
20. Ledley King
21. Emile Heskey
22. Michael Carrick
23. Joe Hart

So, given that, is the starting line-up going to be this....?

James

Johnson_____Ferdinand_____Terry_____A. Cole

Lennon_____Lampard_____Gerrard_____J. Cole

Rooney_____Crouch​

Squad numbers confirmed:

1. David James
2. Glen Johnson
3. Ashley Cole
4. Steven Gerrard
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. John Terry
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Frank Lampard
9. Peter Crouch
10. Wayne Rooney
11. Joe Cole
12. Robert Green
13. Stephen Warnock
14. Gareth Barry
15. Matthew Upson
16. James Milner
17. Shaun Wright-Phillips
18. Jamie Carragher
19. Jermain Defoe
20. Ledley King
21. Emile Heskey
22. Michael Carrick
23. Joe Hart

So, given that, is the starting line-up going to be this....?

James

Johnson_____Ferdinand_____Terry_____A. Cole

Lennon_____Lampard_____Gerrard_____J. Cole

Rooney_____Crouch​

Barry will start when fit, probably in place of Lennon. And I'm not certain Crouch will start, despite his number.

Heskey scored over 20 goals in his first full season at Liverpool, the fans loved him then.

Plus, and I don't know the official stats, I'm pretty sure Owens most prolific seasons for Liverpool where when he was playing alongside Heskey.

Stats (goals per season) - bold indicates Heskey was also playing with him at Liverpool

99-00 : 16
00-01 : 25
01-02 : 38
02-03 : 32
03-04 : 23

04-05 : 20

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697