Entertainment versus results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Entertainment verses results

Winning is the only thing that matters - entertainment is way down on the list, behind a decent pie and a couple of decent bints to ogle during the game

I feel entertained when we have won, even if (to the neutral) the match was utterly shite

This whole concept of 'entertainment' over results is just alien to me. I cannot understand it

If the game was a wonderful footballing spectacle and we lost, then I wouldn't feel entertained at all - just miserable, bitter and angry. Pretty much how I felt after the Swindon game. There were grown men crying outside the stadium that day, and I suspect that they didn't feel too entertained by the whole affair

Why is winning the only thing that matters, isn't this a somewhat (and i apologise for the phrase, but i can't think of a better one) childish approach?

So in essence the game could and maybe would be better for you if it was only 2 halves of 5 minutes, if we got the result, then the rest is superflous(sp)?

I can. Maybe it is age (although i think you may be no 'spring chicken'), maybe it is wanting more than a (hollow) 3 points?

Possibly immediately afterwards i might agree with you, but maybe the next day?

Last edited:

I was asking (not clearly) why it is just a results business. If Bolton won the premier league playing their 'brand' of football, to me i would find this quite embarassing and a shallow/hollow victory, the record books would show us as champions but those of us who had watched games that season (and the media) would know how we had won it...

Well if a club lost every game, they will get relegated over and over again and may eventually go out of business. It's obviously a results business because managers get sacked based on results and not performances.

I don't go to football matches to be entertained, I go to see my team try and win the game. Any entertainment is an added bonus.

I was asking (not clearly) why it is just a results business. If Bolton won the premier league playing their 'brand' of football, to me i would find this quite embarassing and a shallow/hollow victory, the record books would show us as champions but those of us who had watched games that season (and the media) would know how we had won it...

If Bolton won the Premier League, their fans wouldn't give a shit about the brand of football that had been played. They would just have won the feckin' Premier League FFS !

It wouldn't even be a topic of conversation - apart from in the media, and who gives a toss what they think ?

Same goes for Leicester City

If you genuinely believe otherwise, then I fear that you know nothing at all about the average football fan

He isn't an idiot. He has just reached the age where you realise that there is more to footballing life than being 'Fanatical Frank'.

His 'favourite ever game' is one of the most painful games I have ever had to watch and I am sure a lot of other Leicester fans would agree with me.

Unfortunately Camberwell seems to have the American belief that entertainment means lots of goals, when in fact a 1-0 victory away from home can easily be as entertaining and showcase a better quality of football than a 4-3 mistake ridden game can.

Last edited:

Well if a club lost every game, they will get relegated over and over again and may eventually go out of business. It's obviously a results business because managers get sacked based on results and not performances.

A highly improbable example used to back your argument i think?

His 'favourite ever game' is one of the most painful games I have ever had to watch and I am sure a lot of other Leicester fans would agree with me.

Unfortunately Camberwell seems to have the American belief that entertainment means lots of goals, when in fact a 1-0 victory away from home can easily be as entertaining and showcase a better quality of football than a 4-3 mistake ridden game can.

Lots of fans would agree with you Willow, i am also fairly sure there are a few out there who would agree with me though.

Where in my post do i say that entertainment means lots of goals? I have seen some exceptional 0-0's and so forth, your assumption is therefore incorrect.

A highly improbable example used to back your argument i think?

Luton Town are now in the Conference and have gone into administration several times. It was only 4 seasons ago that they were in the Championship beating us at the Walkers and pushing Liverpool all the way in the FA Cup, playing some very entertaining football.

Last edited:

If Bolton won the Premier League, their fans wouldn't give a shit about the brand of football that had been played. They would just have won the feckin' Premier League FFS !

It wouldn't even be a topic of conversation - apart from in the media, and who gives a toss what they think ?

Same goes for Leicester City

If you genuinely believe otherw*s*, then I fear that you know nothing at all about the average football fan

I would disagree.

Well, people on this forum for a start off.

Same.

I never said i knew 'Mr Average', my thread is designed to generate discussion from all ends of what people think not just the 'Average Joe'.

Luton Town are now in the Conference and have gone into administration several times. It was only 4 seasons ago that they were in the Championship beating us at the Walkers and pushing Liverpool all the way in the FA Cup, playing some very entertaining football.

They did not go bust due to playing attractive football.

Lots of fans would agree with you Willow, i am also fairly sure there are a few out there who would agree with me though.

Where in my post do i say that entertainment means lots of goals? I have seen some exceptional 0-0's and so forth, your assumption is therefore incorrect.

There isnt, you are on your own.

They did not go bust due to playing attractive football.

I didnt say they did.

You argued that City Fan's comment about teams being relegated was improbable and I was merely pointing out that it wasnt.

I am sure you will 'disagree' though

I doubt it...

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You can doubt it all you want. You wont find another Leicester fan who when asked "What is your favourite ever Leicester game?" will honestly say the Swindon game.

I said it was unlikely to happen as per the post. When did you last see a team lose EVERY game?

I didnt say they did.

You argued that City Fan's comment about teams being relegated was improbable and I was merely pointing out that it wasnt.

I am sure you will 'disagree' though

Indeed, please see the above.

You can doubt it all you want. You wont find another Leicester fan who when asked "What is your favourite ever Leicester game?" will honestly say the Swindon game.

I have heard several say that. Our equaliser was certainly one of my highlights of being a fan. Did you not go mental when that went in because you knew we'd lose?

Once again you have not read what i said in it's entirety.

If you wish to pick holes in my argument then fine, that's what this forum is all about, but don't mis-quote me in order to make your posts make me look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69