Entertainment versus results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Entertainment verses results

You argued that City Fan's comment about teams being relegated was improbable and I was merely pointing out that it wasnt.

I am sure you will 'disagree' though

Luton is not a good example, they didn't get relegated last season due to their performance on the pitch but because of their points deduction.

Once again you have not read what i said in it's entirety.

If you wish to pick holes in my argument then fine, that's what this forum is all about, but don't mis-quote me in order to make your posts make me look stupid.

How have a mis-quoted you?

Re: Entertainment verses results

Luton is not a good example, they didn't get relegated last season due to their performance on the pitch but because of their points deduction.

I know but I couldnt think of anybody else :icon_lol:

I get very caught up in a game and cannot remember being bored at a Leicester City match although I have run through the gamut of other emotions. These range from elation at our recent injury time winner against Plymouth to disgust usually at some piece of defensive incompetence.
In America wrestling as defined itself as “Sports Entertainment” and the result is as “fixed” as a movie or a play. One of the great things about sport is its unpredictability.. I do not know the result of the Forest game on Saturday.Eleven inferior players on a good day can beat eleven better players. In February 1959 I watched Worcester City defeat Liverpool in the 3rd round of the club.
One of the main points of sport is struggle. It is associated with warfare. This is why the fans love warriors. Wolves fans were proud when I told them Eddie Clamp was the dirtiest player I have ever seen. Duncan Edwards was the finest young player I have ever seen but Bobby Robson remembered “he had a forearm like concrete”. In the days of wonderful players like Best and Charlton it was Denis Law who was the fans favourite. Liverpool fans liked Tommy Smith more than Peter Thompson. Even today Leicester fans seem willing to forgive mistakes by Wayne Brown than by other players.
I seem to remember an incident somewhere when a club tried cheerleaders who faced chants of “Git off the f------g pitch.” Quite right too. This is not entertainment You did not get silly girls jumping up and down grinning during the Battle of El Alamain. .

Would you say, camberwell, that you have become more of a football fan than a Leicester City fan in recent years?

I know I have.

Would you say, camberwell, that you have become more of a football fan than a Leicester City fan in recent years?

I know I have.

I love Leicester City, albeit from afar, and thinking about it a little more maybe why i want to see us playing good footie is due (at least partially) to the fact that when i do see City (very rarely) my level of expectation is greater.

I also think people who go to games week in week out get used to mediocre football and MAYBE their expectations aren't as high.

So to answer your question, possibly yes.

One of the main points of sport is struggle. It is associated with warfare. This is why the fans love warriors. Wolves fans were proud when I told them Eddie Clamp was the dirtiest player I have ever seen. Duncan Edwards was the finest young player I have ever seen but Bobby Robson remembered “he had a forearm like concrete”. In the days of wonderful players like Best and Charlton it was Denis Law who was the fans favourite. Liverpool fans liked Tommy Smith more than Peter Thompson. Even today Leicester fans seem willing to forgive mistakes by Wayne Brown than by other players.
I seem to remember an incident somewhere when a club tried cheerleaders who faced chants of “Git off the f------g pitch.” Quite right too. This is not entertainment You did not get silly girls jumping up and down grinning during the Battle of El Alamain. .

This is a very English (and Swedish view) though. I think you'll find that Spaniards rate their fancy strikers/wingers higher than the defensive midfielder covering up.

I went to Barcelona v Mallorca a few weeks ago. Barca scored four goals and the victory was never in doubt, but it was dead quiet most of the game. They certainly went to the stadium to be entertained - and obviously the demands will be higher on the best team in the world, but I think in general Spaniards, South Americans value entertainment more - often even more than results - than the English do.

Brazil being the best example.

I get very caught up in a game and cannot remember being bored at a Leicester City match although I have run through the gamut of other emotions. These range from elation at our recent injury time winner against Plymouth to disgust usually at some piece of defensive incompetence.
In America wrestling as defined itself as “Sports Entertainment” and the result is as “fixed” as a movie or a play. One of the great things about sport is its unpredictability.. I do not know the result of the Forest game on Saturday.Eleven inferior players on a good day can beat eleven better players. In February 1959 I watched Worcester City defeat Liverpool in the 3rd round of the club.

I see your point and the tribal thingymabob is correct, does this then translate to football fans generally being thick?

I have to admit my recent trip to Reading away was an extremely tedious game that on an entertainment scale barely registered. At £28 for the pleasure along with another £35 fares and so forth, a molecule of entertainment woudl have been nice...(Goal excluded)...

His 'favourite ever game' is one of the most painful games I have ever had to watch and I am sure a lot of other Leicester fans would agree with me.

Unfortunately Camberwell seems to have the American belief that entertainment means lots of goals, when in fact a 1-0 victory away from home can easily be as entertaining and showcase a better quality of football than a 4-3 mistake ridden game can.

Second paragraph.

Seems strange, I merely wanted to know how I had mis-quoted you and if I had done was willing to apologise for the mistake. :102:

No need to apologise though...

West Brom got relegated from the Premiership. Yet it appeared they were always being praised for the way they "played football".
Bolton are still in the premiership (at the mo ;)).

I know where I'd rather be watching Leicester, I'm sure WBA fans feel the same!

West Brom got relegated from the Premiership. Yet it appeared they were always being praised for the way they "played football".

:038::038:

I am sure that most members of the forum are wise enough to realise that my reference to El Alamain was tongue in cheek. However, I should make it clear that I am not in anyway condoning those people who used football as an excuse for hooliganism.

People who say they want results by any means do not usually mean that. On that least two occasions Don Revie's Leeds tried unsuccessfully to bribe players. Obviously when bribing is successful it is less likely to come to light. This, I believe, was what Clough meant when he told the Leeds players their medals came by cheating.

I want Leicester to win. We will never outclass the best teams because we will never get great players to stay with us. These days Weller and Wortington would want Champions League. What we can do is harass and tackle and fairly stop great players playing.

There is one other point. I want players I can support. Steve Bruce was annoyed when Birmingham fans made it clear they did not want Lee Bowyer. The fans were right. Footballers are heroes to young people. It is an unpleasant thought that there must be young Newcastle fans with the name Barton on the back of their shirt.

I see your point and the tribal thingymabob is correct, does this then translate to football fans generally being thick?

Why do think that any opinion that differs from your own is indicative of being 'childish' or 'thick' ?

The football supporter is an unusual animal, that gets many different things out of supporting a team and/or actually going to a game

Just because, in many cases, the primary desire is to see their side win (over and above all other things, including 'entertainment') doesn't mean that they are immature or stupid in any way.
How strange that your train of thought automatically thinks that it does

Last edited:
Second paragraph.

No need to apologise though...

Ok, that is a completely different quote from the one you suggested I had mis-quoted you in. Nevermind.

I am going to go and watch a DVD of the TOP 10 favourite ever Leicester games voted by the fans...I think we both know which game will be Number 1!

Okay i'll turn it 360*, if you were a neutral would you pay to see West Brom or Leicester, both playing the same team on successive weeks, let's call the opposition Watford?

I think 'at the mo' was the important point! Which division you are in or would prefer to be in is a given!

Ok, that is a completely different quote from the one you suggested I had mis-quoted you in. Nevermind.

I am going to go and watch a DVD of the TOP 10 favourite ever Leicester games voted by the fans...I think we both know which game will be Number 1!

Please let me know...enjoy

I think we would all agree that it would be nice to be entertained when watching city play. But the ultimate aim is points on the board. This brings success and ultimately a better standard of player and play. Jeff i take your point that we might get promoted and then get whipped every game but the premiership has to be the aim rather than drift along in the championship achieving nothing. As for the swindon game i dont think i have ever been on such a low (with the exception of England V West Germany 1970 World Cup.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69