Eriksson handed £10m to land Heskey and Given

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling Wellens would be a bad move, he has turned out to be a great signing, he's strong and composed on the ball, he's got the extra little bit of vision that can sometimes be the difference between a good pass and a key pass. I think with the right players around him he can be our star player again.

I would like to see us sign Yakubu and possibly Kamara, Naughton may be pricey but looks excellent. A 'swashbuckling' left-back (who can defend) would be good along with a real leader at centre-back and perhaps another winger but maybe I'm being greedy...

I still think we have plenty more to do in terms of bringing players in but with a budget behind you it can be done, bedding the players in then becomes the issue, however with the fact some were here last year that shouldn't as much of a problem.

Roll on the transfer merry-go-round.

[Wellens is] strong

I disagree. Don't confuse giving away lots of fouls with being strong, because he certainly isn't and has been known to be muscled off the ball without too much effort.

I would like to see us sign Yakubu and possibly Kamara, Naughton may be pricey but looks excellent. A 'swashbuckling' left-back (who can defend) would be good along with a real leader at centre-back and perhaps another winger but maybe I'm being greedy...

Not a goalkeeper?

Last edited:
Okay...I missed that one out...I wouldn't say it is as much of a priority as one of these highly sought after '20 goal a season strikers' that everyone talks about. I have no doubt Weale is a good shot stopper but a top, top keeper is always a great foundation to any team. The talk of Given is all a bit hopeful in my opinion, I couldn't see him dropping down a division at this stage of his career, should Swen somehow manage to negotiate a deal then it would be a top notch signing.

I disagree. Don't confuse giving away lots of fouls with being strong, because he certainly isn't and has been known to be muscled off the ball without too much effort.

Ok, we'll have to disagree on that one.

[I think] Wellens is strong!

Suddenly we're selling King and Wellens. Brilliant.

If we are to go 4-4-2 one of these will go or one of these will do a lot of bench warming. :icon_wink

Coca Cola Championship... except it isn't now.
Endsleigh League Division One? On the coach back from Wembley a couple of weeks back I overheard some old twats talking nonsense about football. I had to laugh to myself when one of them mentioned the "Vauxhall Conference".

In many respects we're already playing a 4-4-2, since king almost plays as a forward.

If anybody will be replaced in midfield, it's likely to be Abe, for someone stronger.

Defensively i would like to see an agressive, no nonsense player alongside Bamba, and an intelligent LB with a bit more pace than Berner.

Endsleigh League Division One? On the coach back from Wembley a couple of weeks back I overheard some old twats talking nonsense about football. I had to laugh to myself when one of them mentioned the "Vauxhall Conference".

Because it's the Alliance Premier?

I think teams approached us in a different manner for two reasons,rather than trying to play us at our own game...they waited for a counter attack against our suspect defence,also the phsyical sides tended to out bully us notably Bristol City,though we were lucky that night.

It didn't take them long to work it out either.

Certainly, a different playing approach is needed for next season or we'll probably struggle again to reach the play offs.

The owners seem more likely to spend on big wages for loanees than pay out big transfer fees but maybe they can pick up Yakubu on the cheap and they need to bring in a keeper who can reduce the alarming goals against tally.

The club could easily be tempted by a substantial offer for Wellens as he nears his sell by date age tho' I can't see any Premier League club paying big money - but its possible. More likely he's seen as a quality player... but only at Championship level.

I don't really agree with any of that, Redditch.

Certainly, a different playing approach is needed for next season or we'll probably struggle again to reach the play offs.
If Sven had been in from the start, all the evidence points to us comfortably finishing within the playoffs. Why change that? And more to the point, why would anyone want to? We've played some sparkling attacking football with Sven as our manager. Most fans, myself included, would prefer to see us win 4-3 in an entertaining game than 1-0 in a boring game.

The owners seem more likely to spend on big wages for loanees than pay out big transfer fees
Not sure that's the case at all. Sven used the loan market in January as he couldn't get the players he wanted on permanent deals. He also said at the end of the season that he'd like to sign players permanently rather than have as many loans again. Plus there's been no indication, at least since Sven arrived, that the owners have had any input in player purchases beyond writing the cheques.

The club could easily be tempted by a substantial offer for Wellens as he nears his sell by date age tho' I can't see any Premier League club paying big money - but its possible.
Being awarded player of the season and signing a new contract, with no rumours about a move, doesn't suggest to me that Wellens will be going anywhere. The only reason we're talking about it is because one of our mongs on here said it.

I still hear people refer to the Conference as that every so often. Granted, they sponsored it for around 12 years, but Nationwide did for 9 and no one ever refers to it as that.

I don't really agree with any of that, Redditch.

If Sven had been in from the start, all the evidence points to us comfortably finishing within the playoffs. Why change that? And more to the point, why would anyone want to? We've played some sparkling attacking football with Sven as our manager. Most fans, myself included, would prefer to see us win 4-3 in an entertaining game than 1-0 in a boring game.

Not sure that's the case at all. Sven used the loan market in January as he couldn't get the players he wanted on permanent deals. He also said at the end of the season that he'd like to sign players permanently rather than have as many loans again. Plus there's been no indication, at least since Sven arrived, that the owners have had any input in player purchases beyond writing the cheques.

Being awarded player of the season and signing a new contract, with no rumours about a move, doesn't suggest to me that Wellens will be going anywhere. The only reason we're talking about it is because one of our mongs on here said it.

I think Sven made an immediate impact and achieved impressive results - then our weaknesses got sussed and amplified round the division. The results from March onwards if repeated next year wouldleave us struggling to get in the play offs - as I said. It's obvious to me that the team needs to be strengthend in goal and defence / balance of the midfield.

I would imagine that the owners do have a considerable control over player acquisitions. To be honest I think it would be naive to think otherwise - but that is just a guess. I would also guess that it will continue to be difficult to bring in quality players on a permanent basis - and there is a market for Premier League clubs to be interested in loaning out young players to Leicester with Sven as manager just as Leicester have more cash to splash than most on wages. Of course the new limit of 4 loanees in a match squad is going to make some impact.

As for Wellens - he is one of our better players - but he will be 32 before the end of next season and so any substantial offer may be tempting at this stage. The fact that he has signed a new contract simply means that he has a bit more security and we can get a better fee if he moves on.

:039:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570