European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely clear to me what this is. Or at least where it'll end up.

An American takeover.

The US has piss all chance , despite their primacy in other major sports , of ever being a player in the one sport that matters to the most people globally.

Football dwarfs every other sport in the world in terms of engagement. No other sport is even in the discussion. & yet the US is shit at it. Always has been, always will be. Because nobody there is interested.

Nobody wants to play in the MLS. You go there when you're 35 & your legs have gone for one last easy contract playing against mid table Championship standard players (at best) Any home grown US player who looks like they could make it at a higher level is instantly snapped up by European teams.

The only way in is to buy it. Which is what they're doing.

Yoonited & the Scouse filth are both American owned.

Look at the small print...5 teams can be added over the years...

...it won't happen straight away, not in the first few years. But eventually one of those invitations will go to an MLS side. They'll dress it up with the old "growing the game" bollocks.

With a gun to my head I'd put my money on Beckham's Miami project getting the letter.

Then it'll be possible for that MLS side to attract top players, then they'll have their foothold. They'll rebrand Miami (or whoever) as "America's Team" & finally be able to sell the game stateside by invoking patriotism.

Nowhere in the western world does patriotism sell better than in the US.

That's the endgame. Make no mistake.

It's not going to happen. It's just those clubs trying to make themselves look even more important. It's all talk.

The current footballing authority are too scared to punish the big clubs and nothing will be done against the club's. Unfortunately.

I would love to see it happen and in 5 years fail completely.

I think that what Miles away posted is just about spot on.

Another thing that has come to mind is how cowardly the timing of this announcement is. I mean, it's not like there will be any visible protests from the fans of the 'big 6' (a.k.a. the greedy six) as there are no fans going to the grounds on match day at the moment.

I actually feel sorry for the proper fans of the clubs involved. I can't imagine many of them are too impressed with this, and if they are, they the are a bit dim.

It’s so grotesque it’s almost enjoyable. I can’t wait to see what happens.

Funny you mention that but the ESL clubs have already submitted legal challenges to European Courts to ward off any action from Uefa/Fifa/Domestic leagues.

Isn't there a small issue for the 6 English teams that since Brexit, the European Courts will have no jurisdiction over them?

Now I was never a fan of Brexit at all but I could turn out to like it if it allows us domestically at least to completely shaft these so called 6 elite clubs.

Now confirmed that JP Morgan will be financing the league - no surprise at all it is all Americanisation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had already sold the TV rights to Amazon for this too.

I want them to do it and have them and their players banned from everything else, so we can enjoy real football. It's not as if anyone who actually wants this is an adult supporter of a football club, just passive sky viewers who aren't that invested in football if the team they choose to bandwagon isn't winning everything. It'll be football league vs football union if you will.

I want them to do it and have them and their players banned from everything else, so we can enjoy real football. It's not as if anyone who actually wants this is an adult supporter of a football club, just passive sky viewers who aren't that invested in football if the team they choose to bandwagon isn't winning everything. It'll be football league vs football union if you will.

I don't think even passive fans want this....in the UK anyway. The overseas lifelong Man City fans who are 40 odd and supported them since birth (about 5 years ago) will love it. That's all that matters.

I read that DAZN are involved.
Makes sense as they'll want to get this worldwide but not give much away to any traditional broadcasters.

We really need to find out what brands are preparing to back it too and just boycott them.

I read that DAZN are involved.
Although they have denied it (so far):

However, in a statement to us, DAZN firmly rejected the report: “In relation to a report by Corriere dello Sport today, this and related reports are false. Neither DAZN nor Mr. Blavatnik are in any way involved or interested in entering into discussions regarding the establishment of a Super League and no conversations have taken place,” the streamer said.

So the teams involved have actually pulled out of the ECA and UEFA? Hopefully they do **** off and we can battle with the german teams and PSG in the champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363