Everything's OK folks, we're just Middlesbrough in the 2010/11 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Anglia Fox

In some ways, what we're going through this season very similar to what Middlesbrough went through in the 10/11 campaign.

They began the season as promotion contenders, having made wholesale changes and bringing in players with big expectations on their shoulders, like Kris Boyd. Things went horribly wrong, and by October thier manager, Strachan, left and was replaced by someone already very popular with the fans: Tony Mowbray.

Looking at the rest of that season, there were some decent performances, but they were unable to string a good run of results together, and sometimes lost to really shit teams. The fans accepted though, that ultimately things were getting better, and such was the bad state the team was in, they weren't going to change overnight. In the last few games of the season, it became clear that Middlesbrough were really coming together and there were hints of the title-challenging side they were always expected to be anyway. This culminated in them winning the last four games in a row: the only time they had done that all season.

Now, of course, they have been in and around the top six spots all season. Tony Mowbray was given a summer to sort things out and get rid of a lot of the dead wood. He also got rid of Kris Boyd, presumably recognising that, for whatever reason, it simply wasn't happening for him at Middlesbrough. I mean, they've been a bit crap since Christmas, but the point remains the same.

Hopefully, if Pearson doesn't get sacked (a big if in my opinion), then we will see a similar progression happening at Leicester City.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Everything's OK folks, we're just Middlesbrough in the 2011/12 season.

In some ways, what we're going through this season very similar to what Middlesbrough went through in the 11/12 campaign.

They began the season as promotion contenders, having made wholesale changes and bringing in players with big expectations on their shoulders, like Kris Boyd. Things went horribly wrong, and by October thier manager, Strachan, left and was replaced by someone already very popular with the fans: Tony Mowbray.

Looking at the rest of that season, there were some decent performances, but they were unable to string a good run of results together, and sometimes lost to really shit teams. The fans accepted though, that ultimately things were getting better, and such was the bad state the team was in, they weren't going to change overnight. In the last few games of the season, it became clear that Middlesbrough were really coming together and there were hints of the title-challenging side they were always expected to be anyway. This culminated in them winning the last four games in a row: the only time they had done that all season.

Now, of course, they have been in and around the top six spots all season. Tony Mowbray was given a summer to sort things out and get rid of a lot of the dead wood. He also got rid of Kris Boyd, presumably recognising that, for whatever reason, it simply wasn't happening for him at Middlesbrough. I mean, they've been a bit crap since Christmas, but the point remains the same.

Hopefully, if Pearson doesn't get sacked (a big if in my opinion), then we will see a similar progression happening at Leicester City.

I was with you on the similarities up until the highlighted points. You don't actually expect the majority of our fans to show patience, understanding or logic do you? ;)

Good post though and I agree. We're heading in the right direction. Just need a settled summer with 3-4 good additions.

I suppose I don't expect the majority of our fans to show patience but if they don't that's their problem. We should look at what's happened to this club as a disaster that we're in the process of recovering from. In terms of becoming a genuine top-six side, Pearson did with us in 09/10 and was doing it with Hull this season. I don't care if we finish 18th, we just need stability and measure at this club as we prepare for next season.

Ipswich is a better, even more depressing shit creek/paddle comparison, IMO.

Do you mean the 2010/2011 season? Otherwise you've completely lost me.

Oh bollocks, yes. Could a mod change it please?

just the thought of being anything in comparison to Boro makes my skin weep.

My skin is just sobbing gently to itself in the corner. Luckily though there's a shop nearby that sells a cream for it, Mick's Metaforce is the name of the shop. Do you have one near you?

Last edited:

I was with you on the similarities up until the highlighted points. You don't actually expect the majority of our fans to show patience, understanding or logic do you? ;)

Good post though and I agree. We're heading in the right direction. Just need a settled summer with 3-4 good additions.

What the fans think really doesn't matter: Nigel Pearson will retain, or lose, his job on the opinion of the board. They are his paymasters and what matters is - has this supposed agreement that this season is too early to expect results, been made, or is Nigel here because he said that, not only was it possible, he was the man so to do.... :102:

I think Nigel is here because he promised not to shit in tops car or fill his office with coke.

But ultmately things aren't getting better

So a pretty pointless comparison, really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673