Ex-players and managers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ex-players (the thread nobody's been waiting for)

"Skilltrainingltd Northern League Second Division club North Shields have appointed former Premier League player Graham Fenton as assistant-manager.

Fenton,famous in the region for the goal he scored for Blackburn that ended Newcastle United's Premier League title hopes in 1996, registered to play for Shields a month ago after leaving Blyth Spartans as number two at the end of last season.

Manager Anthony Woodhouse said: "He will play in some games, but he isn't fit enough yet. His background experience and knowledge of the game offers us something different - he is a massive asset to us both on and off the pitch."

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=60671

Ahh lovely, I asked him to step down as my number 2 after a season at Blyth, who says football manager is not realistic.

Can i just add to this the completely insane format that the SPL currently runs in.

Where each team plays each other 3 times (meaning some get home advantage twice) and then the league is split into 2 mini leagues for 5 games. This means that sometimes the team that finished 7th can end up with more points than the team that finishes 4th.

The Scottish F.A tried to get around this by predicting where teams will finish at the start of each season, so that mini league will then add the 4th fixture and make it even home and away.

Terrible Terrible League.

"Skilltrainingltd Northern League Second Division club North Shields have appointed former Premier League player Graham Fenton as assistant-manager.

Fenton,famous in the region for the goal he scored for Blackburn that ended Newcastle United's Premier League title hopes in 1996, registered to play for Shields a month ago after leaving Blyth Spartans as number two at the end of last season.

Manager Anthony Woodhouse said: "He will play in some games, but he isn't fit enough yet. His background experience and knowledge of the game offers us something different - he is a massive asset to us both on and off the pitch."

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=60671

Has he ever been fit?
While at City he hardly ever looked fit to me.
Looks like he will be getting plenty of chances to use "his background experience and knowledge of the game":icon_eek:

The Gareth McAuley thing. I'm sure some people 'rated' Junior Lewis too.

Lewis did look good when initially on loan.

I remember his first game being a midweek fixture down the The Dell.

Lewis did look good when initially on loan.

I remember his first game being a midweek fixture down the The Dell.

This was his second game.

This was his fifth game - the last of his loan spell. The move was made permanent, then this happened. Notice the absence of a cup-tied Lewis.

Our next league points came from this game - two months later.

Was Junior Lewis' absence from the Wycombe game the catalyst for the team going on a dreadful run of six league wins in the next 14 months?

No, it wasn't.

Here's a quiz question. Who was the last English footballer to appear in a World Cup semi-final? No, don't name Sir Bobby Robson's 1990 team - it was London born Muzzy Izzet who played for Turkey against Brazil in 2002.

Texted this to my mates as a quiz question and looked a right lemon, as one of them gave the answer (correctly) as Perotta from Italy, born in Ashton and played in the semis and final in 2006 :icon_roll

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=25853

Last edited:

Sir Barrington Hayles scored a lovely winner in the 94th minute for Cheltenham.

Bizarrely I found myself cheering that on the Football League Show.

I find it surprising that you should choose to use the word 'bizarre' about anything you do. Your whole life and way of life is bizarre.

:081:

Mind you, this is from a man who wears shorts to games in winter. :icon_bigg :icon_wink

I have no choice - I have no long trousers.

Said hello to Steve Claridge yesterday

Also watched Stockdale make his prem debut - looks like he could do well given a bit more experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00