Favourite City Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Savage's 20 yarder top slop to make it 2-0 at St James after TC had made it 1-0 after 7 mins. Nothing better than getting the metty being smug as!!

What a great response! Some awesome memories in this thread.

I may have left for the states in my teens but those early experiences at Filbert street means I'll die (centuries from now) as a city fan through and through.

As others have said, this is a great thread.

My favourite City moment was the Steve Thompson equaliser against Swindon. Just extraordinary to see your team go from 3 down to 3-3 in less than 10 minutes at Wembley. I cannot ever imagine anything beating that feeling of turning agony to euphoria seemingly in front of the watching world. It's still the only goal that whenever I see it, sends shivers down my spine.

I have a strong memory of my first ever game at Filbert St against QPR. For some reason, I insisted on standing as close to the dug out as possible. I recall being fascinated by Jock Wallace's terrifying growl and seeing (I think it was Bob Hazell) getting sent off for QPR and walking past me and thinking I've never seen such a scary, enormous fella before.

The away game that I hold most special was probably the play off game against Portsmouth. We'd had a few run ins with them over recent seasons and to go there and grab a win with goals from Ormondroyd and Gee (I think) was fantastic both on the terrace and later outside the stadium. Pure excitement and adrenalin. Another top memory was a game away to Southend where we scored twice near the end (Wright and Walsh?). We all went totally mental and it was a boiling hot day at the seaside. We always seemed to have great days out at Oxford too for some reason. It felt like we went there more often than once a year. I think it was because they had a great old school away end and we 'took it over' in great fashion each time.

However, my best away memory was my first ever game at Bournemouth in the mid 80s. Me and a couple of friends went down for the weekend, the sun was shining, we wrote LCFC on the beach, we were boys that felt like men on a terrace with a tasty atmosphere. And I think we won 2-1. The only player I recall from the game was Ian Wilson. He was a good player. I have stronger memories of being chased around a park by some local hoolies after the game.

Now being a proper miserable fan, I think I can probably come up with many more examples for a 'Worst City Moment' though. Maybe that thread needs to follow this one.

As others have said, this is a great thread.

My favourite City moment was the Steve Thompson equaliser against Swindon. Just extraordinary to see your team go from 3 down to 3-3 in less than 10 minutes at Wembley. I cannot ever imagine anything beating that feeling of turning agony to euphoria seemingly in front of the watching world. It's still the only goal that whenever I see it, sends shivers down my spine.

I have a strong memory of my first ever game at Filbert St against QPR. For some reason, I insisted on standing as close to the dug out as possible. I recall being fascinated by Jock Wallace's terrifying growl and seeing (I think it was Bob Hazell) getting sent off for QPR and walking past me and thinking I've never seen such a scary, enormous fella before.

The away game that I hold most special was probably the play off game against Portsmouth. We'd had a few run ins with them over recent seasons and to go there and grab a win with goals from Ormondroyd and Gee (I think) was fantastic both on the terrace and later outside the stadium. Pure excitement and adrenalin. Another top memory was a game away to Southend where we scored twice near the end (Wright and Walsh?). We all went totally mental and it was a boiling hot day at the seaside. We always seemed to have great days out at Oxford too for some reason. It felt like we went there more often than once a year. I think it was because they had a great old school away end and we 'took it over' in great fashion each time.

However, my best away memory was my first ever game at Bournemouth in the mid 80s. Me and a couple of friends went down for the weekend, the sun was shining, we wrote LCFC on the beach, we were boys that felt like men on a terrace with a tasty atmosphere. And I think we won 2-1. The only player I recall from the game was Ian Wilson. He was a good player. I have stronger memories of being chased around a park by some local hoolies after the game.

Now being a proper miserable fan, I think I can probably come up with many more examples for a 'Worst City Moment' though. Maybe that thread needs to follow this one.

Ha ha come on BN, you wouldn't leave that thread :icon_wink

Reading/Charlton led to a quarter-final loss to Blackburn.

The Villa game was League Cup and led to the Chelsea game.

So many memories from these games; at MK Dons I was held back from a steward as I was nearly on the pitch when Gradel bagged. We were total dogshit for 70 minutes of that game.

Man City that victory I went with a mate who supported Man City, his brother and his brother's mate (cost me £36 in their end!). We left for the game at about 1pm, they smoke cannabis all the way listening to house music. We were late missed Jordan Stewart's corker...I had to sprint up those big circular structures at Eastlands. Ended up winning 3-0, they had about 3 hot dogs each after the game on the munchies and we got lost near Lichfield.

League 1 was good for the soul; the Cheltenham 4-0 away, watching pds crack his head on a steel support at Hereford, the late win at Leyton Orient. That's memories off the top of my head.

He wasn't the only one who took a knock to the head that day.

Great memory NF. Great player in his day. Outside influences prevented him fulfilling his potential.

I have so many memories, my first real one was a full house last game of the season at home to Burnley we drew 0-0 to clinch promotion but only after Fulham had lodged an appeal to replay their game following a pitch invasion.

The 5-2 cup win at home to Shrewsbury. Just unbelievable.

The play off semi final versus Cambridge what a rout.

The play off final vs Swindon what a comeback and as others have said whenever I watch that ten minute comeback it still sends shivers down my spine.

The play off victory vs Derby to beat the sheep in such circumstances were unreal.

The play off semi vs Stoke and Garry Parkers Volley to win it.

The play off final vs Crystal Palace to win it with the last kick of the game and look what it started.

The league cup final vs Middlesboro the never say die attitude to grab the last minute equaliser and then to win the replay

The FA cup tie against Chelsea and that dive.....despite defeat so proud of my team

Winning promotion at home against Brighton under Mickeh what a great day

Securing our championship status away at PNE after Nils Eric Johanssons late goal

Stevie Howards header at home vs Leeds to virtually secure promotion and the title

Andy kings winner at PNE to win our place in the play offs

That play off semi vs Cardiff

Oh and I nearly forgot being in the away end when we beat the Sheep 4-0 and all the goals came in the first 15 minutes amazing day

Last edited:
Great memory NF. Great player in his day. Outside influences prevented him fulfilling his potential.

He was so exciting to watch when he was younger. There was a real sense of anticipation when he was running at opposition players.

Just looking at that list makes me realise just how lucky I am to support our great great club and I reckon Pearson could add a few more good memories along the way in the coming years with this current crop. More exciting times ahead I think.

He was so exciting to watch when he was younger. There was a real sense of anticipation when he was running at opposition players.

I remember taping the highlights of that game and the one at the City Ground in the play offs versus Pompey and just watching repeat and repeat and repeat of both of those goals and marvelling at the natural ability and flair off JJ who in my opinion is the most gifted LCFC player I have ever seen play. Although I did also love watching Gary Mac.

Superb thread.

Lots of great memories from those previously mentioned.....even got a bit misty-eyed with the footage from the Cambridge play off semi 2nd leg. Thommo's equaliser v Swindon. TC at Old Trafford. Walsh in injury time v Gunners.

In an effort to recall one yet to be mentioned, how about Blackburn (under the vile Dalglish with Walker's millions) away when we beat them 1-0 - Rooster Russell walking it into an empty goal - which I think put us in sight of automatic promotion. Joyous moment.

Superb thread.

Lots of great memories from those previously mentioned.....even got a bit misty-eyed with the footage from the Cambridge play off semi 2nd leg. Thommo's equaliser v Swindon. TC at Old Trafford. Walsh in injury time v Gunners.

In an effort to recall one yet to be mentioned, how about Blackburn (under the vile Dalglish with Walker's millions) away when we beat them 1-0 - Rooster Russell walking it into an empty goal - which I think put us in sight of automatic promotion. Joyous moment.

Good shout Bob

I recall being fascinated by Jock Wallace's terrifying growl and seeing (I think it was Bob Hazell) getting sent off for QPR and walking past me and thinking I've never seen such a scary, enormous fella before.

I'm ok really if you get to know me!

Notts County away....Zenith Data Northern area semi-final....Torrential rain....
Tommy Johnson.....Gary Fitzpatrick.....Beautiful event.

A phone call from my wife, "I've got your tickets".

What a moment for a lifelong City fan.

City hadn't been to Wembley since 1969. I'd never been.
Our first play off final, I'd say the score was almost irrelevant (if course, it wasn't), but WE WERE GOING TO WEMBLEY.
I'd been singing that tune for years. FA Cup semi finals come and gone, even a charity shield win, still no Wembley, but now, we were actually going to Wembley.

Christmas had come early that year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670