Favourite City Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few have mentioned the Palace Play-off Final
Not sure anyone has mentioned the unusual substitution that preceeded yhe goal when Spider came on for Poole.
Looks like Paul Sturrock has done the same thing as MON only this time it actually went to penalties. But the ploy did pay off as Southend won the shootout.

Nothing any manager does quite compares with bringing Spider Kalac on. Luckily the ball did not go any where near him in that last minute.

From Banks and Shilton to Kalac Leicester had gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. To be fair to O'Neill the substitution made sense for penalties. Poole was a small goalkeeper and whatever his other characteristics Kalac was undeniably big..

Nothing any manager does quite compares with bringing Spider Kalac on. Luckily the ball did not go any where near him in that last minute.

From Banks and Shilton to Kalac Leicester had gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. To be fair to O'Neill the substitution made sense for penalties. Poole was a small goalkeeper and whatever his other characteristics Kalac was undeniably big..

And yet after he left us he's played at a level Leicester could only dream of.

Notts County away....Zenith Data Northern area semi-final....Torrential rain....
Tommy Johnson.....Gary Fitzpatrick.....Beautiful event.

The only city goal that I have missed at a game, as I had to go to the toilet. Was only a youngster at the time! I remember the roar as I stood at the urinal!

I think that's why the Derby playoff win was so special as well. They were big spenders at the time and had taken Kitson from us and so victory seemed all the more sweet.

Ah the Derby play off .I will never forget the old boy who ended up on our row after being propelled from 5 rows back when we got the second. Covered in tatts and built like a brick shit house sobbing his heart out at the full time whistle.
Also the bloke who had been hunting down some guy for years after finding out he had been shagging his mrs finally caught up with him as they stood either side of me in the gents.

The only city goal that I have missed at a game, as I had to go to the toilet. Was only a youngster at the time! I remember the roar as I stood at the urinal!

I remember being there at that game. I can't ever remember being so sodden at a game prior or since then.

Didn't we take something like 7500 fans that day?

Great thread. Some many good memories.

For me the play off final vs Crystal Palace will long live in the memory. The whole season was a roller coaster and what a way to end it.
Walshs V Derby also fantastic.

Those trips to Wembley with the family during that time will always be fantastic memories.

To think we were at Wembley seven times between 1992 and 2000. I started supporting City in the autumn of '93 and it all seemed so normal at the time.

Ah the Derby play off .I will never forget the old boy who ended up on our row after being propelled from 5 rows back when we got the second. Covered in tatts and built like a brick shit house sobbing his heart out at the full time whistle.
Also the bloke who had been hunting down some guy for years after finding out he had been shagging his mrs finally caught up with him as they stood either side of me in the gents.
How did that impact your shoes and trousers? And did they both survive?

Last edited:
For me it has to be Steve Howard's bullet header in the 89' against Leeds, I think everyone in the ground knew that goal basically meant we were backup into the championship.

That was excellent. Still get shivers watching the DVD.

For me it has to be Steve Howard's bullet header in the 89' against Leeds, I think everyone in the ground knew that goal basically meant we were backup into the championship.

That was excellent. Still get shivers watching the DVD.

Yes for me too. One because it was Leeds scum and two because it was the moment you realised we were going up.

So many to choose from.

Claridge's last minute winner against Palace at Wembley.
Walshie's equaliser against Arsenal in THAT game at Filbert Street.
Going ahead against Atletico through Marshall and outplaying them for long periods.
Howard's bullet header against Leeds to all but promote us.
Thompson's equaliser against Swindon at Wembley.
Walshie's winner against Derby at Wembley.
Elliott's double against Tranmere.
Getting promoted after nearly going out of existence in our first season at the new stadium.
Watching Collymore and Heskey rip Sunderland apart after winning the Worthington Cup. If those two had stayed together.....
Getting promoted at Forest on the last day of the season thanks to a Chris Wood goal in front of the away fans in injury time.

OK, that last one hasn't actually happened. Yet.

Last edited:
I've read through and halves of football were mentioned by someone somewhere.

One of the best 45 minutes I can remember in recent times was the first half away at Derby when Yakubu smashed in a volley (half?) and King just before half time. I believe it was also Ricardo's first game and I was rather surprised to see him included. We only got 2, but I remember thinking we were taking the piss all throughout the half and it could've been many more, our passing and movement was brilliant to watch.

I've read through and halves of football were mentioned by someone somewhere.

One of the best 45 minutes I can remember in recent times was the first half away at Derby when Yakubu smashed in a volley (half?) and King just before half time. I believe it was also Ricardo's first game and I was rather surprised to see him included. We only got 2, but I remember thinking we were taking the piss all throughout the half and it could've been many more, our passing and movement was brilliant to watch.

We were equally dominant when we pasted them 4-0 at home recently too.

And there was the 4-0 in 15 mins away under O'Neill.

Still gutted that I couldn't go to that as my dad had to go away that weekend and I was too young to go by myself. Can also remember what they said on the radio when I turned it on and they were saying O'Neill should have whiskey in his bottle which made me think we were 4 down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669