Favourite Leicester match..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Favorite Leicester match..

Was this the Boxing day game, where Gavin Ward, rather than carry the ball in the net, put it at their forwards feet. doh!
We had to rely on Sticks getting us an equaliser.

That's the one...Oldfield scored 2 I think.

HTB, the 4-4 draw was on Boxing Day.

I have thought it through and it would probably be the Derby play-off final which meant the most. Not necessarily my favourite as I can barely remember it except for when the winner went in and winding up the Derby fans on the way back home.

That was the season as a kid I really got into after the Swindon play-off final. My Dad had to stop playing football on Saturday's and we went down Filbo instead. I can remember the opening day against Peterborough with the Carling half-built, hammering Rochdale in the League Cup and then getting a pasting at Old Trafford in the next round. The odd Anglo-Italian Cup fixtures against WBA and P'boro.

Sounds like we had very similar passages into the world of Citeh Hazz. Instead of spending my saturday's in the Houghton Rangers dug out I finally got my old man to take me to filbo regularly.

I actually went to Old Trafford for that game...Colin Hill scored. a rare treat that.

Last edited:

Leicester 4 - 0 Leeds for me. Back when i was a 8 year old, it was a dream come true :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

1291251-vlarge.jpg

Last edited:

Leicester 3 Swindon 2. Late 80's. I was 10. My Dad left with ten minutes to go (I was with the school in the double decker front row and he was in Pen 4) and we were 2-0 down. As I waved him off I did not expect us to get three in nine minutes and win the game!!

11th November 1989 winning 4-3 at home against Leeds, who went on to win the division.

Was it for obnoxiously pointing out a grammatical error?

I was never told why, the officer simply told me that I knew why and that if I wanted to further discuss it with him we could continue our conversation outside the ground. I decided to use discretion and to pretend that I knew what he was talking about, after all I had missed about half of the Wembley game and had no desire to miss a single minute of this one.

For me, one game that seems to be easily remembered favourably was towards the end of the 90/91 season when we were on a winning run and playing away at Blackburn who were managed by Ken Dalglish and beginning to wobble.

Not a great game but when Kevin Russell broke through and scored the only goal of the match it was a wonderful day from then on.
Very jolly at the time.

Sounds like we had very similar passages into the world of Citeh Hazz. Instead of spending my saturday's in the Houghton Rangers dug out I finally got my old man to take me to filbo regularly.

I actually went to Old Trafford for that game...Colin Hill scored. a rare treat that.

My Dad did his knee in a collsion with a goalkeeper when I was a baby. He attempted to come back (lasted a season...apparently he was an excellent centre-midfielder who was part of a team who went 3 seasons unbeaten before that) and I'd watch him.

Thinking about it in now I remember one time I ended up in fistcuffs with some other lad in an argument about whether a handball is a yellow card or a red card. I was only 5.

Last edited:

One more "worst"

Bolton 2-2 away against 9 men. Shit game and knew we were going down at xmas.

Nah, it was the 5-0 defeat first day of the season you meant? As according to that muppet Sav, that's when he KNEW we were going down.

I was wondering if it was that game - it was bloody freezing from memory too.

And the bastard traffic wardens ticketed EVERY car that had parked along Western Boulevard, when to my knowledge they had never done that before- after complaints to the club my mum didn't have to pay the fine as the warden was described as a bit enthusiastic.
We had gone early as well to pick up our Man City away FA Cup tickets!

So many games to choose from, a lot already mentioned in the thread.
I also quite enjoyed the 4-4 at Villa, when loads of their muppets left at 4-2 HA!
The win at Spurs after losing the Cup Final.
The 2-2 draw at home with Man U when it was a 12pm kickoff?(Or 12.45pm)
The games away in Europe.

In the last decade there hasn't been that much to get excited about really.

Beating Spurs at home in the FA Cup(though that was more to do with the fact we had Spurs muppets sat in front of us who when they were 2-0 were the most patronising idiots i've ever come across at football in regards to their comments about 'little' Leicester. I very much liked going mental right in their earholes when that 3 goal went in.)

Leicester 5-0 Cambridge

Play-off semi final second leg at Filbert Street.

As a fan of 50years there have been so many great games and disappointments over the seasons - too many to mention but matches that stand out for me - the wins in the play off semi finals - the 7-2 win over Arsenal in '64 - the 1-0 win at Fulham when Ian Wilsons goal at Craven Cottage put us insight of promotion in front of 10,000 city fans - Steve Howards winner against Leeds in the last minute at the Walkers - apart from the Derby play off final win my favourite game has to be the Crystal Palace game at Wembley - who will ever forget that last minute winner by Steve Claridge - sheer ecstasy - get in

3-3 v Derby sometime in '94 at Filbert Street - From what i remember Kitson who had recently signed for them got 2 and Roberts got 2 for us. Great game. I think Derby were 2 up in about the first 10 minutes but is was 3-3 before half time!

Every game I ever went to in the 70s and early 80s was exciting. I'd be there early to grab autographs and we'd be on MOTD every time a goal was banged in by the Family End and I danced like a tool on the pitch. But as the 80s progressed the violence seemed to come to the fore and I got to the stage where I went less and less and then skipped football altogether.

I started going again in 2005 but aside from the social aspect it just didn't do it for me. I have enjoyed some moments at home and away but nothing like my golden days of the 79/80 promotion season. I had a real affection for those players. To be honest, I couldn't give a shit about any of the staff we have these days.

Couldn't agree More. I used to get a real buzz running up the steps into pen three and joining in the singing. Still want us to win of course, but it's not the same sense of belonging anymore.

Game I remember well:
5-0 home against Ipswich in aound 73/74 Worthington Hat trick. Think it was played on a Saturday night??

Last edited by a moderator:

At the risk of repeating what everyone else has said...

Both Middlesboro finals, but especially the Hillsborough one where we actually won something. The final whistle there was my single favourite moment as a Leicester fan.
Tranmere final, another cup.
Playoffs vs Palace and Derby. Both hilarious.
Arsenal 3-3.
And a few more obscure ones. Away at Southend, first few games of Brian Little's first season. We won 2-1, I think. Home against Portsmouth, under McGhee. I can't remember the final score, 4-1 maybe, but in the first half we looked absolute class. As a kid I remember Lineker scoring a hat-trick against someone, West Ham possibly, as we one 5-0 (a bit hazy that one). And Rob Kelly's equaliser against Man Utd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00
8Leeds Utd00