Favourite Leicester match..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Favorite Leicester match..

...I was wondering what peoples favorite Leicester City match was? I really enjoyed the Middlesborough League Cup final, the one at Wembley, the game was excessively entertaining.

Strange how peoples views are so different, I remember it as being a dreadful game only brought to life by the two Extra-Time goals.

Leicester 5-1 Cambridge Great night, great atmosphere and booked a trip to Wembley for the first time in donkeys years.

Obviously not that great as you forgot the score :icon_bigg

Despite going to the Sunderland 5-2 game, the 96 play-off final and the 2000 cup final, I was far too young to appreciate them/understand the game and emotions involved really.

So if I'm honest and am not just chosing something which happened when I was 10, don't really remember and had little emotional involvement with at the time, but have seen clips of replayed over and over since, as others my age (or younger) will. It will have to be something from the end of the Adams' era onwards where I got a ST and was old enough to really have a better emotional attachment/better understanding of the game

For the sheer emotional drainage it would be the 0-0 vs Stoke and the 3-3 agg. vs Cardiff even though it ultimately ended up in misery in both games. Best positive performance would obviously be something in the past 3 years for me, because before that it was shit and there were literally no positive performances to speak of. Those 40 odd minutes vs Cardiff in the play-off semi when we came down when we came back from 2-0 down on aggregate to lead 3-2 was the best section of a game for me, but of course it didn't end up mattering in the end.

Best performance footballing-wise would probably be something under SGE as this is the most enjoyable football I have ever seen us play by a mile, not sure about any game though. Hopefully the game where we beat someone 9-0 to clinch the title next season.

Last edited:

Every game I ever went to in the 70s and early 80s was exciting. I'd be there early to grab autographs and we'd be on MOTD every time a goal was banged in by the Family End and I danced like a tool on the pitch. But as the 80s progressed the violence seemed to come to the fore and I got to the stage where I went less and less and then skipped football altogether.

I started going again in 2005 but aside from the social aspect it just didn't do it for me. I have enjoyed some moments at home and away but nothing like my golden days of the 79/80 promotion season. I had a real affection for those players. To be honest, I couldn't give a shit about any of the staff we have these days.

Sorry all, I have a few!

Derby playoff final holds a place in my heart, as it was my last game before moving stateside.

The Swindon game, despite the defeat, was very special for me...first time at Wembley, early days of my fanhood.

The Tranmere home game where Speedie scored and got sent off.

And oddly enough, I have very fond memories of a couple of strange ones. I love the cold winter games that I get to attend when I get to come home. Takes me to an alternative life that I never had a chance to live (not that I'm complaining):

- a 1-0 away to Brighton in the fog on a Friday night.
- 4-4 Watford at home sometime in the mid 90s.
- 3-2 Norwich at home, first time I got to see Heskey play and he ripped them to bits.

Oh and the worst? I was in attendance at the Wycombe game, and it just felt like something died on the pitch. Horrible.

Watched the Stoke game on telly here. When Mcauley hit the post my heart sank.

Last edited:

One more "worst"

Bolton 2-2 away against 9 men. Shit game and knew we were going down at xmas.

Despite going to the Sunderland 5-2 game, the 96 play-off final and the 2000 cup final, I was far too young to appreciate them/understand the game and emotions involved really.

Since we're basically the same age, I feel like this too. I could say my favourite game was the 2000 League Cup Final, but it would just be false as I was too young at the time to really understand what was going on and appreciate the magnitude of the achievement.

My favorite Leicester match was easily the 2-1 win over Charlton at the Valley in February 2005 under Craig Levein. Whatever anyone says, I really do believe he was capable of producing some incredible performances, far better than anything Micky Adams did. I think Levein's era could have been different if he wasn't going through personal problems at the time he was here.

On that day, Joey, Hume, De Vries, and Tiatto were all absolutely fantastic. We laugh at those names now, but we certainly didn't at that game. In fact, the whole team was really, as Leicester pretty much dominated. When Dublin headed in the winner in stoppage time, it was a feeling of sheer magic.

It was a such a memorable and enjoyable day out all round, and one I'll never forget. I also met, for the first and only time so far, a 19-year-old Scarby :icon_bigg

Last edited:

Strange how peoples views are so different, I remember it as being a dreadful game only brought to life by the two Extra-Time goals.

Obviously not that great as you forgot the score :icon_bigg

5-0. :icon_redf Was at the game earlier in the season when they destroyed us 5-1. Was the perfect way to get back at them.

Since we're basically the same age, I feel like this too. I could say my favourite game was the 2000 League Cup Final, but it would just be false as I was too young at the time to really understand what was going on and appreciate the magnitude of the achievement.

My favorite Leicester match was easily the 2-1 win over Charlton at the Valley in February 2005 under Craig Levein. Whatever anyone says, I really do believe he was capable of producing some incredible performances, far better than anything Micky Adams did. I think Levein's era could have been different if he wasn't going through personal problems at the time he was here.

On that day, Joey, Hume, De Vries, and Tiatto were all absolutely fantastic. We laugh at those names now, but we certainly didn't at that game. In fact, the whole team was really, as Leicester pretty much dominated. When Dublin headed in the winner in stoppage time, it was a feeling of sheer magic.

It was a such a memorable and enjoyable day out all round, and one I'll never forget. I also met, for the first and only time so far, a 19-year-old Scarby :icon_bigg

I was at that game and ended up on my arse in the aisle celebrating the winner :icon_lol:

Was this the Boxing day game, where Gavin Ward, rather than carry the ball in the net, put it at their forwards feet. doh!
We had to rely on Sticks getting us an equaliser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, in my top-five at least, would be the 4-2 win over Sheffield United at home. Ryan Smith looked far too good for the Championship in that game. At that time, he was the best player my 14-year-old self had ever seen in my entire life. I also remember thinking how well Momo Sylla was linking up with Hume, Hammond, and Smith. The wing-play in that match was simply astounding.

Similar to what others my age have said about the big games in the 90s. I was there but don't remember them well

Charlton game for me is one of my favourites. First away game i'd ever gone to without my parents, so probably the rowdiest I've ever been at a football match.

Also in recent years, Max Gradel getting the equaliser against MK Dons is the most I've celebrated a goal (Hazzman almost ended up on the pitch!), Sir Les getting the winner against Brum away after La Manga, the home game against Peterborough in league one (mainly because I was on a train from rutland that day and saw a load of smug boro fans giving it big guns pre match), Howard v Leeds, and also the Man City games this season.

So definitely not my favourite game... I did enjoy the replay though; I think it was the last time I was ever threatened with ejection from a football ground but that's another story.

Was it for obnoxiously pointing out a grammatical error?

Was this the Boxing day game, where Gavin Ward, rather than carry the ball in the net, put it at their forwards feet. doh!
We had to rely on Sticks getting us an equaliser.

I was wondering if it was that game - it was bloody freezing from memory too.

Last edited by a moderator:

ha ha i went that

De Vries was shite

I thought he was quality that game.

HTB, the 4-4 draw was on Boxing Day.

I have thought it through and it would probably be the Derby play-off final which meant the most. Not necessarily my favourite as I can barely remember it except for when the winner went in and winding up the Derby fans on the way back home.

That was the season as a kid I really got into after the Swindon play-off final. My Dad had to stop playing football on Saturday's and we went down Filbo instead. I can remember the opening day against Peterborough with the Carling half-built, hammering Rochdale in the League Cup and then getting a pasting at Old Trafford in the next round. The odd Anglo-Italian Cup fixtures against WBA and P'boro.

Couldn't go Roberts' debut versus Wolves as my Dad had to work (neither the Norwich game after). The Boxing Day game was just an oddity as it was hardly entertaining. Remember staying up to watch us play Derby at Filbo in about March time on the highlights, I fell asleep trying to stay up but woke up to watch them.

Turned up in full City kit with Joachim on my back for the home games against Stoke and Bolton (remember having to choose between two different types of sock City wore). Couldn't get a ticket for the Tranmere semi-final (Kop only when we went to get them). Possibly the only time all of my immediate family ever sat at a game together was the Derby final. Brother was asleep for the first half and remember leaping up onto my chair when Walsh scored. I could only think two words 'Premier City'.

Dear God, can we please have a season like that soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669