Free Radio Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Radio Leicester commentary is not free - it is paid for from part of the licence fee. I agree with Jeff, just because a production company can use the internet as a broadcast medium does not mean it should be free.
I run conferences. For those that cannot attend on a particular date, I use the internet to provide them with a 'virtual' conference. I do not provide it for 'free'. It is still a commercial service.

The pre-administration board who squandered the money on crap players on high wages.

But even if they hadn't done, I'm sure Milan would have done it. I don't think you'll find many clubs that provide free commentary.

I really don't see the problem people have paying for this, it's not like it's something they've always had for free that's been taken away, it's a new(ish) service that costs money to provide, and the price seems reasonable to me. What can you get for £3 a month these days?

Its free on the radio why should the internet be different?

Get a digital radio then it'll be a one off payment plus you get to listen to all the other fantastic output from your very own bbc radio leicester

Do any of the ever-so-intelligent folks on this great forum of ours know where I can get the BBC Radio commentary commentary of our games for free? I know I could subscribe to Leicester City World but i'm a bit skint right now so that will have to be a very distant option.

Living here in the U.S. I cannot simply log on to bbc.co.uk/leicester as they block the commentary for us folks abroad. Last season I used a link posted by Graz, I believe, that got me free access to matchlive. I've also in the past used a link to the basic Radio Leicester feed that I played through Windows Media.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated...... If you don't want to post on this thread I'm available for PM's.

Thanks Guys!

I ,like you cannot afford to buy lcfc world so just share a pass word with a rangers fan..once in rangers world or any "world site" you can access all live matches....so you just have to find somebody who is willing to lone his/her login?

Get a digital radio then it'll be a one off payment plus you get to listen to all the other fantastic output from your very own bbc radio leicester

Except that Radio Leicester on DAB has Tigers commentary not City.

I also have a feeling (somewhere in the back of my mind) that it was the Football League that made the deal to charge for Internet commentary, not the clubs themselves.

Ah yes, here it is, from the BBC website

Why can't I listen to my local radio station's football commentary online?

For a number of high profile sporting events, such as Premiership matches, the BBC only holds the rights to broadcast live commentary locally to the area covered by our radio transmitters. Our internet service is available across the UK and around the world and therefore we need to blank all output for which we do not hold international rights. We apologise for any inconvenience, but you can still listen to live commentary from your local station on your radio.

DAB doesn't solve the problem for people who live away from the local area.

PM Melton, he sent me a link once to a site unconnected to World that akways seemed to be transmitting the commentary for every game under the sun.

PM Melton, he sent me a link once to a site unconnected to World that akways seemed to be transmitting the commentary for every game under the sun.
I don't know if I've still got it Duzza, I'll need to check.

Anyway, how Radio Leicester can afford anything when they have to pay for Egerton, Ballard, Sinclair, Barber and Dagnall plus guest summarisers(and poss more, I don't listen to it) to talk bollocks from all around the country is beyond me. No wonder they need an additional revenue source

I don't know if I've still got it Duzza, I'll need to check.

Anyway, how Radio Leicester can afford anything when they have to pay for Egerton, Ballard, Sinclair, Barber and Dagnall plus guest summarisers(and poss more, I don't listen to it) to talk bollocks from all around the country is beyond me. No wonder they need an additional revenue source

Ive checked and Ive lost it.

The pre-administration board who squandered the money on crap players on high wages.

But even if they hadn't done, I'm sure Milan would have done it. I don't think you'll find many clubs that provide free commentary.

I really don't see the problem people have paying for this, it's not like it's something they've always had for free that's been taken away, it's a new(ish) service that costs money to provide, and the price seems reasonable to me. What can you get for £3 a month these days?

Maybe I'm missing the point here but I pay my BBC license fee so I should be able to listen to BBC radio Leicester whenever I chose too. Including 3pm on a Saturday.

Its free on the radio why should the internet be different?

It's free on the radio because that's covered by your TV license. The money goes to BBC who spend it on TV and Radio.

The Radio over the Internet is protected by broadcasting rights and the license fee doesn't cover the Internet.

I know a bit of a cnut.

Last edited:
I don't know how legal it is in this instance, but there is a plugin in for sidebar in Vista that allows you to add digital radio streams. I am sure mine has radio leicester on it, can't people use that?

I don't know how legal it is in this instance, but there is a plugin in for sidebar in Vista that allows you to add digital radio streams. I am sure mine has radio leicester on it, can't people use that?

No as they wont stream during the commentary

i think somebody has allready said that the tigers are on dab most of the time.
i subscribe to lcfc world but just for the commentary not all the other bull.is that the £3 londonfox is being asked to pay:102: if it is get your hand in your pocket you converted yank :icon_wink

'just £3, just £3 yes just £3 a month' its just like donating to a good cause :icon_bigg

Football clubs don't make as much as they used to from local radio commentary rights. Until a couple of years ago Leicester City sold the rights to Century and Radio leicester - now Heart (used to be Century) don't bother so that has halved the commentary income. The BBC buy from the club a contract to broadcast live commentaries on Leicester City on the local radio transmitters - in addition they also have to pay each away club and each home club a set fee agreed between the BBC and the Football League (of some hundreds of pounds). The BBC has never bought the right to webcast commentaries - these were always with-held by clubs even before the NTL deal. I believe the BBC may get a slightly better deal for licence payers by offering the radio commentary to the club website - rather than the club having to provide its own commentators.

It isn't free for the club to post the commentary on the web. They need to provide web streams to host the number of people who listen on line and at £3 a month I guess they probably just about break even - if that.

Even to do the Foxpodder podcast I have to buy webspace and a domain name at £60 a year - so even though it is "free" to the user it costs us about £1 a week - but worth it. (I think)

Foxpodder

That's correct.
So I'll ask again, why do you think it should be different just because it's on the internet?

It used to be that some televised matches were regionalised. So someone who wasn't in the midlands for example couldn't see a midlands match. I bet that pissed you off too.

If people want to watch the matches that are on Sky, they need to pay. If people want to listen to matches broadcast on the internet, they need to pay.

I'm sure you'll find that if Radio Kent broadcast commentary for the Leicester v Blackpool match they wouldn't get many listeners.

The rights to broadcast the match on the internet is separate to the rights to broadcast on the radio, just like the radio and TV contracts are separate.
If the BBC (or anyone else), wanted to broadcast matches online they would have been able to put in a bid for the rights to do so. But NTL/PTV made a better offer, which the clubs took.
Do you think the league should have turned down the Sky money so people can watch matches for free on the BBC instead?

Do you really think it will cause the clubs that much harm?
What about before the internet, when there was no way for non locals to hear commentary unless they paid 38p a minute on the phone. Did you think that should be free too?
And before the phone commentary, did you think the lack of any available commentary was harming clubs?

It's hardly going to cost the club much financially, those people aren't likely to pay £25 to watch a match if £3 a month is too much for them.

Currently our fan base is mainly based in leicetershire and by braudcasting the matches nationwide, or world wide, it could only be good for the club, increasing the fan base, ensuring existing fans stay with city
Equally it would be good for radio leicester allowing them to increase their audiance

Currently our fan base is mainly based in leicetershire and by braudcasting the matches nationwide, or world wide, it could only be good for the club, increasing the fan base, ensuring existing fans stay with city
Equally it would be good for radio leicester allowing them to increase their audiance

People would only tune in to online commentary if they are already a fan, so it would hardly increase the fanbase.
And if the BBC was allowed to broadcast our matches online, they would do the same for other clubs, I'm sure the likes of Chelsea, Man U etc would benefit more than we would if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669