Confirmed Transfer Gelson Fernandes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky79

Great Signing. Gelson will be a much better deep lying midfielder than Yuki for me. Hope he beds in well.

Now to bring in Long!

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~2409845,00.html

Leicester City have today finalised the signing of Swiss international midfielder Gelson Fernandes from French side Saint Etienne.

Gelson, 24, joins the Foxes on a season-long loan deal and could make his debut in Saturday's npower Championship opener at Coventry City, subject to Football League approval and international clearance.

A mainstay in the Switzerland side over the last four years, Fernandes made his international debut aged just 20, shortly after joining Manchester City, where he spent the first of his two years at Eastlands working under Foxes manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

"Gelson is a hugely experienced footballer and we are delighted that he is joining us at King Power Stadium," Eriksson said after recruiting his tenth new signing this summer.

"He is an all-round midfielder, who can sit and protect the defence, but he is also a box-to-box player.

"Gelson played for me at Manchester City and has also played in Serie A and Ligue 1 in France. He has great energy and determination, qualities which will help us this season."

Manchester City paid a reported £4.2million to sign Fernandes from Swiss side Sion in 2007 and the Cape Verde-born midfielder impressed with his energetic, combative performances alongside fellow Foxes loanee Michael Johnson and former City first team coach Didi Hamann.

After two years at the City of Manchester Stadium, Fernandes made the switch to Saint Etienne, for whom he made 33 appearances in his first season before a season-long loan stint with Chievo in Italy.

At international level, Fernandes won the latest of his 33 Switzerland caps in a Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria in March. He played in all three of Switzerland's group games at Euro 2008 and scored a memorable group stage winner against eventual champions Spain at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"I have said before that we are playing in a challenging division and we will require a strong squad to see us through 46 league games and additional cup matches," Eriksson added.

"We are trying to ensure that we have two players for every position and I am sure that Gelson will have a good effect on the squad and the team."

There'll be some intense competition between Gelson, Johnson, Danns, King, Wellens and Abe to get into the midfield 3. Can only see Danns playing wide out of that lot! Can see Gelson King Wellens getting the nod with Danns, Nugent, Gallagher up tops.....

I thought this would be confirmed today as Steed Malbranque finalised his move from Sunderland to St Etienne last night.

I never normally get a name on my shirt, but this has excited me to the point that I may.

Excellent news

Taxi for Matt Oakley.........

Lovely stuff

if the team (and Fernandes) is doing well by January im sure Sven will try and sign up permanant deal for him

Excellent! Can't see Wellens being a first team regular now though, he'll most likely be brought on off the bench towards the end of a win to hold the lead.

Excellent! Can't see Wellens being a first team regular now though, he'll most likely be brought on off the bench towards the end of a potential win to stupidly give the ball away to facilitate the opposition scoring, and then stomp around blaming everyone else on the pitch

Spot on

Another signing I'm genuinely impressed by, I think that's four or five now. Strange times.

stick King up front with Nugent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570