Get off RK's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a pi**ed off with most on here shouting for Kelly to be sacked and touting other managers that you think can do a better job.

LCFC currently have no money and have a squad of players that are plagued with injuries or suspensions, RK is doing as much as he can with the resources he has got, yes at times you have to question his starting line up and his choice of substitutions but at the end of the day it's the players that are out on the pitch for 90 minutes not Rob Kelly.

I urge you all now to get off his back and stop all the nonsence that MM is going to spend his millions on strengthening the squad and a better manager wil be installed.

MM is only interested in LCFC as a business and not as a mug that will get his cheque book out buying star players just remember that whilst at Portsmouth he spent his money on surrounding areas of Fratton Park ie: building a retail park with the likes of McDonald franchises and not improving the football facilities. Pompey have only become an improved side since the Russian took over and are very fortunate to have Harry Redknapp in charge all be it for a second time and yes I know that his appointment was down to MM before you all start throwing eggs at me.

Yes I know we are currently 5th from bottom on a slightly better goal difference than Barnsley and have only got 1 point from 18 but the championship is a very tight league and a good run this month could easily put us back up to mid table.

It is very easy to get carried away with the prospect of MM and a new manager coming in and performing miracles but we all must face reality that it will not happen overnight.

MM will lend us his money but if we do not get into the prem within 2 seasons he will feck off after selling our training ground and we will be in even bigger shit than we are now.

I hope I am wrong but I am facing reality not dreaming.

Regardless of whether MM is coming in or not we are still in trouble. The league table doesn't lie. I like Rob Kelly and think he did a fantastic job for us last season to keep us up. Full credit to him. This season though is a different story. We look even worse than last season. At this stage last year under Levein we had more points and we can all remember how we disliked him.

One of RK's motto's was round pegs in round holes. So why this season do we see Stearman in midfield?!, maybury on the right wing?!

Just because RK is a nice bloke doesn't mean he's void of any criticism. He is the manager, he has to take responsibilty to where we are this season.

He proved what can be done with a bunch of no hopers last season. We need it again

I agree with you, I think we have more significant problems than the manager currently in charge. We have been underperforming in this league now under 3 seperate managers.

Problem 1 is that we have no quality experienced players MA's obsession with completely changing the playing staff every season and getting rid of Frank and Davidson; alongside Levein chopping Gillespie (anyone see his performance on MOTD on Saturday? Menawhile we're stuck with Sylla and Low) and Walker have seen to that. Think about it, our older players are all very average!

Problem 2 is the complete lack of a central midfield. I think when comparing our performances last season under Kelly to this, you have to remember the absence of Joey!

Problem 3 is, in my opinion, the chopping and changing of managers all the time, theres no stability at the club and sacking another manager is not going to help anything particularly with the replacements who have been touted... I cant believe people are seriously suggesting Megson!!! He did such a great job keeping Forest up. Lets face it, we are not going to be an attractive proposition to any quality manager. Someone like Curbishley is not going to risk his good reputation on a job that is going to be very, very tough indeed. After what happened with Holloway last season I cant even see other Championship managers being interested, its either going to be an unproven from the lower leagues or a Premiership manager whos career has gone down the crapper, like O'Leary.

Its time for a reality check people! Martin O'Neill was a one off and we're not going to find a new saviour any time soon, the best we can hope for for now is a bit of stability backed up by some decent signings if and when we get some investment. We wont get relegated this season, we're on a bad run but that will change unless we do something stupid like appoint Megson as manager!

while i agree with much of what you say maffyou. it has to be realised that kelly has the responsability to put these things right, and he has the fourth highest wage budget in this league to work with.

i don't agree that keeping a bad manager for the sake of continuity is very wise

I'd be very surprised if that's true. May have been close to that last season, but not any more. I would imagine Brum, WBA, Palace, Sunderland, Leeds, Norwich, Cov, Derby, Wolves have budgets bigger than ours, maybe the likes of Cardiff, Ipswich, Stoke too.

i'm sure it was stated in another thread, was surprised myself though, but since we didn't spend much on transfer fee's i figured it was more for wages.

while i agree with much of what you say maffyou. it has to be realised that kelly has the responsability to put these things right, and he has the fourth highest wage budget in this league to work with.

i don't agree that keeping a bad manager for the sake of continuity is very wise

I dont think he's had a fair chance to put things right, we know the financial situation and I dont seriously believe he would have signed Low and Johnson had there been better, realistic options.

Also, I just dont think its time to push the panic button yet, all the replacements that have been mentioned will still no doubt be available in Jan/Feb, if things haven't improved by then it may be time to think again but for now, I think its worth sticking with Kelly and giving him a chance to turn things around.

As far as I'm aware, nobody's getting on RK's back. Despite the rubbish what he is serving up, fans still sing his name on matchday. What is discussed between fans after the game isn't classed as getting on his back, it's just voicing a valid opinion.

Our players are better than they are playing, I blame Kelly for this. The players he has bought are largely rubbish. I blame Kelly for this, and the board for not giving him enough money to buy some mediocre players

Last edited:
Just a few quick points.........

1) Kelly is 100% responsible for the shambolic tactics, team selections and substitutions which is delivering drab, boring football and defeats.

2) Kelly is 100% responsible for the lack of motivation currently running through the squad.

3) We are fifth from bottom in a mediocre league again Kelly's responsibility.

4) Kelly is 100% responsible for failing to get the best out of a squad containing some pretty decent individuals including Logan, Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Weso, Williams, Hughes, Hume and Fryatt, all individals who definately good enough at this level, yet the negative tactics continue to stifle and contain their natural ability.

Kelly will always be able to hold his head high after the fine turnaround last season, however judging on his results since he was appointed full time have been terrible, you have to ask how much was down to Levein going.

At present the current situation mirrors the fianl days under Levein, players not interested, ill discipline and desperate post match comments from the manager.

I respect your loyalty to Kelly but we have to be honest at present we are in freefall and the players are clearly not playing for Kelly, it is a recipe for disaster.

You are correct Steve, but lets not forget that Rob Kelly is a nice guy and a apparently a very good coach

Great post by the way

Last edited:
You are correct Steve, but lets not forget that Rob Kelly is a nice guy and a apparently a very good coach

Great post by the way

His excellent coaching ability has been in strong evidence over the last 2 years or so, the champagne, free flowing attacking football style has been a revelation, a joy to behold ;)

His excellent coaching ability has been in strong evidence over the last 2 years or so, the champagne, free flowing attacking football style has been a revelation, a joy to behold ;)
Sometimes it's been "just like watching Brasil".

Yes everything is fine

Let's get off his back and stop complaining that we can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and play like a bunch of forty year old men after a night on the ale and waccy baccy

He's a really great guy, and it's not his fault

He's a really great coach, and it's not his fault

He's had no money, and it's not his fault

We signed Andy Johnson, Josh Low and Andy Welsh, but that wasn't his fault

We've had some injuries and it's not his fault

We've had some real fixture congestion, and it's not his fault

Some players have been played completely out of position, but it's not his fault

Some players have completely lost their confidence and motivation, but it's not his fault

We can't defend set pieces, but it's not his fault

We are two points away from relegation, but there is no way that's his fault

We might get relegated to a level that we have never seen in our history, but under no circumstances will it be his fault

Last edited:
Yes everything is fine

let's get off his back and stop complaining that we can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and play like a bunch of forty year old men after a night on the ale and waccy baccy

He's a really great guy, and it's not his fault

He's a really great coach, and it's not his fault

He's had no money, and it's not his fault

We signed Andy Johnson, Josh Low and Andy Welsh, but that wasn't his fault

We've had some injuries and it's not his fault

We've had some real fixture congestion, and it's not his fault

Some players have been played completely out of position, but it's not his fault

Some players have completely lost their confidence and motivation, but it's not his fault

We can't defend set pieces, but it's not his fault

We are two points away from relegation, but there is no way that's his fault

We might get relegated to a level that we have never seen in our histroy, but under no circumstances will it be his fault

:038:

Top post Homer, what makes me laugh is that Kelly is making exactly the same mistakes as Levein, players out of position, continually selecting certain favourites regardless of form, negative and dour tactics, unimaginative substitutions and yet the reasons Levein was so villified are deemed unfair to label at Kelly, we have not moved on from a year ago, in fact it is worse because Kelly actually appeared to have found the right formula only to have royally fecked it up big time this season.

And I refuse to accept that losing Joey Gudjonnsson is the difference, he was average at best last season and only stood out because of the dross.

And I refuse to accept that losing Joey Gudjonnsson is the difference, he was average at best last season and only stood out because of the dross.

i think we would be better with him here though, if you can't have class, hardwork is the next best thing, and joey certainly worked hard. the current dross don't

I'd be very surprised if that's true. May have been close to that last season, but not any more. I would imagine Brum, WBA, Palace, Sunderland, Leeds, Norwich, Cov, Derby, Wolves have budgets bigger than ours, maybe the likes of Cardiff, Ipswich, Stoke too.

Allegedly it is true, although I'd need confirmation. Rab is on £11000 a week for one....

We do need to get things into perspective.

We are in trouble and there is no denying that. There is only a very thin line between success and failure in this league (what would have happened on Saturday if the ref had not have given that dodgy penalty, or if we had managed to equalise rather than Crossley make those saves?)

The majority of the TB'ers were keen that the Board continued with Kelly last season after Levein was sacked - we were on a great run (until it withered at the end).

Maybe you want you other first choice now (Mike Newell wasn't it - a large number of us were very upset when that fell through)?

Just 5 or 6 weeks ago people were talking about automatic promotion (unbelievable really) and that MM must keep Kelly on board!!

He is a new manager and will make mistakes - I am sure he feels under the microscope at present and does not appear to be coping well. He obviously needs some help and quick (maybe Graydon had more of an impact than we think).

It may well be that his time is up and this is too big a job too soon in his career (MON had lengthy spells at Shepshed and Wycombe to learn the job). I am leaning this way and if that is the case he needs to go.

We should remember he didn't really want the job, and he also saved us from relegation. I am sure RK works very hard for the club and what piddles me off is the personal attacks some have made on him. I think he has tried his best and if that is not good enough it is not his fault. Blame the Board for taking the cheap option of appointing him (although they may not have had the cash to do much else - so thank heaven they have recognised this and have been pursuing other investment such as MM) and the fans for applying pressure to appoint him. If he is not right for the job, then let him go with dignity and with thanks for all of his efforts.

With a bit of luck we may start another good run and before you know it people will be singing Rob Kelly's Blue & White Army again (although most of us have some serious doubts I am sure).

what piddles me off is the personal attacks some have made on him. I think he has tried his best and if that is not good enough it is not his fault.
I have to disagree with nearly all of that post, especially this part. I have NEVER seen one personal attack on Rob Kelly, on this forum, nor any other. The general consesus is that he is a nice guy and genuinely cares for Leicester City. All the comments made have been on a professional level aimed at his managerial methods and abilities.

He is in a position that most of us would love to be in. He is the manager of one of the top 50 clubs in the UK, as a result, he is in a position to have criticism thrown at him, much the same as in a few years time when he will have praise thrown at him. I never wanted him in, I don't believe he saved us last season, I am entitled to criticise him publicly

Rob Kelly was very clever when he publicly said he didn't want the job, he wrote his own get out clause and caviat that a lot of people have fallen for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669