Ginger Mourinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problems we have no ware nothing to do with Megson. I think Martin Allen would have taken us to place. The blame lies at the door of Allen and Mandaric.

Some muppet behind me was shouting Megson Out after the game, the third home game on the trot. Wanker.

Playing 3-4-3 with 10 minutes to go is lunacy.

0-0 against Wolves is not a fantastic result, but it isn't the end of the world.

People are not giving Megson a fair chance. The squad he has inherited is huge and short in quality.

100% agree drew that twat that shout megson out was booing at half time too ,now thats going to help loads :icon_roll:icon_roll:icon_roll:icon_roll

Megson is doing a fair job, he is stoping us losing, and hopefully he is prepared to give some of the promising new youngsters a chance to stake a claim for a first team spot on a more regular basis.:038:

Be good to give King a run out when clem is back ,then wait on weso and we could have a good midfeild

Last edited:
People are not giving Megson a fair chance. The squad he has inherited is huge and short in quality.
meg dog is starting to see how huge this problem is we have.
we will have to get used to losing a few,drawing a few and winning every now and then.
its not going to happen overnight,in fact the new year with the help of some decent signings will be the time things start changing for us.

if you love or hate megson,think about what hes got to work with,and then cut him some slack.

meg dog is starting to see how huge this problem is we have.
we will have to get used to losing a few,drawing a few and winning every now and then.
its not going to happen overnight,in fact the new year with the help of some decent signings will be the time things start changing for us.

if you love or hate megson,think about what hes got to work with,and then cut him some slack.

Probably enough to get us into serious relegation trouble. Every time we draw the teams below us pick up 2pts. on us when they win. And if we happen to lose we are in the S**t. We need to score goals as well as kepping clean sheets otherwise the draws are a waste.

I'm going to sound like I'm courting controversy here, but I'll say what I see and what I think:

Megson is doing an excellent job and I have very high hopes for the future with him in charge. I feel that he's the man to finally get us playing winning football in this league in time, and I support him 100%.

1. He's organised the team so they look balanced and solid. We're playing the formation that suits the players we have and one that covers up our inadequacies best.
2. His comments are spot on. He knows exactly what's wrong and what needs to be done to correct it.
3. I rate his two assistants (Burrows and Taggart) as exactly what's needed to support him.
4. Certain players such as Fryatt, Stearman, Mattock, Kishishev look far better now than before he came.
5. His smart introduction of King tonight suggested that he is prepared to pick whoever impresses him and back his own judgement.
6. He has a proven record at getting teams promoted from this league in workmanlike and efficient ways.
7. His substitutions are generally spot on.
8. He focuses on players doing the simple things right. Positional play, tracking markers, set pieces, shape etc. All are improving dramatically.
9. When his team start winning, they will climb the league fast and prove very tough to beat.
10. He's sussed out much of the garbage straightaway i.e. De Vries and made sure that it's well known that he won't tolerate the type of feeble performances that have been so frequently on show over recent years.

Even if i dont agree with all of it, i think thats a decent post:icon_wink

Mattock and Stearman were both pushing to the bye line and putting balls into the box.

But they're still defenders.

It was more of an attacking formation when we had Steve Guppy putting in crosses, and Muzzy Izzet joining the strikers in the box.

At the moment we have no midfielders getting forward so the strikers are isolated, and the attacking play down the flanks is not going to be as good from defenders as it would be from proper wingers.

I think Stearman and Mattock have done well in this new formation, so I have no complaints about them, it's the lack of attacking quality in central midfield that's the main problem.

There's a huge gap between the midfield and the front players, which doesn't help - although that improves if Hume is playing behind the front two.

And we still persist with bringing everyone back to defend corners. Every single one of our players was in our penalty area to defend a corner in the second half tonight. So when the ball ended up with one of our players there was no one to pass it to.

It was more of an attacking formation when we had Steve Guppy putting in crosses, and Muzzy Izzet joining the strikers in the box.

At the moment we have no midfielders getting forward so the strikers are isolated, and the attacking play down the flanks is not going to be as good from defenders as it would be from proper wingers.

I think Stearman and Mattock have done well in this new formation, so I have no complaints about them, it's the lack of attacking quality in central midfield that's the main problem.

There's a huge gap between the midfield and the front players, which doesn't help - although that improves if Hume is playing behind the front two.

And we still persist with bringing everyone back to defend corners. Every single one of our players was in our penalty area to defend a corner in the second half tonight. So when the ball ended up with one of our players there was no one to pass it to.

Which is how we played the last 10 minutes and it looked effective, except that Hume was dead on his feet!

I agree with you about the corners though. If we leave at least one up it pulls their defenders back. Fryatt is no good defending a high ball into the box anyway!

Couldn't disagree with anything you stated. I think the huge gap is there because tonight we didn't have midfield and even when Clemence plays we only have one in there, and he can't do it all.

Bottom line is, who would come and replace him if he were now sacked?

We need to keep the faith, fact. All I think he is interested in right now is stopping the opposition. I don't think that's a bad stance to take. I just hope he can show some guile in getting the right balance to get us scoring goals, especially at home.

Our main problem is the fact that we've only won 23 out of 74 home league games since we were relegated. A 31% win rate at home. A promotion team needs a win rate at home in the region of 75%. How we've not been relegated with that record is a mystery. In our last promotion season, we won 16 out of 23 home matches.

That recent record is a disgrace and a shambles. Megson is trying to highlight this. He's walked into a mess and it will take time and patience to sort it out.

It's not the fans fault that we are generally a cynical lot. We are turning up for home games expecting very little. Atmosphere is dead and unnerving. Players are not used to winning. I sincerely believe that we would take boring football if it meant us winning. We're just used to boring, losing/drawing football though. I honestly don't think us home fans have ever recovered from losing 5-0 at home to Villa that time in the Prem.

To stop the rot you have to stop conceding goals at home. You have to make the place one where the opposition are not expecting much. You have to have the home supporters expecting/demanding victory. That takes time and Megson is on the right track. I just hope that the totally undeserved abuse and sarcasm that he is facing at the moment is not going to stop him delivering the goods.

Our main problem is the fact that we've only won 23 out of 74 home league games since we were relegated. A 31% win rate at home. A promotion team needs a win rate at home in the region of 75%. How we've not been relegated with that record is a mystery. In our last promotion season, we won 16 out of 23 home matches.

That recent record is a disgrace and a shambles. Megson is trying to highlight this. He's walked into a mess and it will take time and patience to sort it out.

It's not the fans fault that we are generally a cynical lot. We are turning up for home games expecting very little. Atmosphere is dead and unnerving. Players are not used to winning. I sincerely believe that we would take boring football if it meant us winning. We're just used to boring, losing/drawing football though. I honestly don't think us home fans have ever recovered from losing 5-0 at home to Villa that time in the Prem.

To stop the rot you have to stop conceding goals at home. You have to make the place one where the opposition are not expecting much. You have to have the home supporters expecting/demanding victory. That takes time and Megson is on the right track. I just hope that the totally undeserved abuse and sarcasm that he is facing at the moment is not going to stop him delivering the goods.

Well said. I have my doubts as to whether he will make a good long-term manager, but his immediate approach - stop shipping goals - is the right way to start improving things.

I'm going to sound like I'm courting controversy here, but I'll say what I see and what I think:

Megson is doing an excellent job and I have very high hopes for the future with him in charge. I feel that he's the man to finally get us playing winning football in this league in time, and I support him 100%.

1. He's organised the team so they look balanced and solid. We're playing the formation that suits the players we have and one that covers up our inadequacies best.
2. His comments are spot on. He knows exactly what's wrong and what needs to be done to correct it.
3. I rate his two assistants (Burrows and Taggart) as exactly what's needed to support him.
4. Certain players such as Fryatt, Stearman, Mattock, Kishishev look far better now than before he came.
5. His smart introduction of King tonight suggested that he is prepared to pick whoever impresses him and back his own judgement.
6. He has a proven record at getting teams promoted from this league in workmanlike and efficient ways.
7. His substitutions are generally spot on.
8. He focuses on players doing the simple things right. Positional play, tracking markers, set pieces, shape etc. All are improving dramatically.
9. When his team start winning, they will climb the league fast and prove very tough to beat.
10. He's sussed out much of the garbage straightaway i.e. De Vries and made sure that it's well known that he won't tolerate the type of feeble performances that have been so frequently on show over recent years.

Two excellent posts :038:

Anybody who thinks that 4 to 5 years of mismanagement will be turned around in 3 or 4 weeks is clearly deluded.

I wasn't overly impressed when we appointed Megson but vowed to give him a chance, and so far I have been impressed with what he is trying to do. He has made us solid at the back - 1 goal conceded in last 3 games, always a decent foundation to build from.

He has changed the formation, but been unfortunate to lose his best central midfielders, therefore having to play youngsters and players out of position but is still managing to grind out results.

When MON had injury problems and was forced into reshuffling his side, he was hailed a tactical genuis for getting results with weakened sides that is exactly what Megson is doing, judge him and his methods in another 8 or so games, once Clem and Weso are back and he has been able to bring in 2 or 3 players and I think we will see a totally different level of performance and results.

That recent record is a disgrace and a shambles. Megson is trying to highlight this.

Is not winning any matches at home the best way of highlighting this?

Which seems to be approach so far.

That I can agree with but his tactics and systems have been ultra defensive so far. Our record at the back this season is superb 8 leaked in the league but it's been at the expense of an attacking threat.

I think this system could work if he played Hume in the whole hole behind two strikers. I'd also play Clem and Kish in the middle - tell Clem to sit and Kish to do the donkey work.

I reckon this could be the thread that most sums up my thoughts on the whole thing at the minute.

I said right from the start that I wasn’t worried about the appointment of Megson. He is a manager with a proven track record (although most people cant see beyond what he did on the red side of the trent).

He is doing all the right things to “steady the ship” and as has been said anyone who thinks we are gonna suddenly turn into a team that is banging in 3 goals a game after 5 managers in around 18 months is clinically insane.

I will stand by him for now and why the style of football may bore the pants off me (don’t get too excited MK) I understand it is exactly what the club needs and would rather to see draws against the top clubs and wins against the lesser clubs.

... would rather to see draws against the top clubs and wins against the lesser clubs.

I think we'd all accept that in a flash. Problem is when we are seemingly able to keep the 'top' clubs at bay but cocking up against the lesser ones.

I reckon this could be the thread that most sums up my thoughts on the whole thing at the minute.

I said right from the start that I wasn’t worried about the appointment of Megson. He is a manager with a proven track record (although most people cant see beyond what he did on the red side of the trent).

He is doing all the right things to “steady the ship” and as has been said anyone who thinks we are gonna suddenly turn into a team that is banging in 3 goals a game after 5 managers in around 18 months is clinically insane.

I will stand by him for now and why the style of football may bore the pants off me (don’t get too excited MK) I understand it is exactly what the club needs and would rather to see draws against the top clubs and wins against the lesser clubs.

Can somebody explain to me why a new manager coming in is only capable in the first few weeks of 'steadying the ship', 'stop leaking goals', and 'shoring up the defence'?

Is there not time to work on the strikers who can't hit a barn door with a banjo? Can managers not multitask? What are the coaches for, if not to share out the jobs?

Defending is not a priority, winning is. Would anyone be happy with last night if the alternative was we were winning every game 4-3 and Megson was bleating on about ' I have sorted the strikeforce, but the defence needs shoring up a bit'.

And do not give me any crap about poor service from the midfield. There were planty of balls last night getting into the strikers from Mattock and Stearman. The strikers were either out of position, clueless, or too fecking short to get their head on the ball!

It all sounds like excuses to me - Sort it Megson!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669