Gloucs (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

Leicestershire again setting the world alight at 69-5 at lunch.

After last weeks humiliation of being thrashed by Leeds/Bradford Uni, things continue to go downhill.

Call me a pessimist but I seriously can't see them winning a 4 day game all season.

Looked at the batting average of the top 6 batsmen and the last dozen or so innings (for Leics), where applicable, showed the following averages:

Thornley 11.06 (including 6 ducks in 16 innings)
O'Brien 24.00
Eckersley 26.78
Sarwan 24.00
Cobb 9.33
Boyce 35.07

Will never win anything with those figures (with probably Boyce excluded). And seriously, what is the point of Josh Cobb? They have made him 1 day captain and 4 day vice captain. Exactly what has he done to deserve these positions?!!

Its embarrassing being from Leicester right now.I spent a dismal day watching them capitulate to a bunch of ****ing students claiming their maiden first class victory.& they didnt even have to work for it.
I was there to soothe my pain over the football & relax.I left even more disillusioned,frustrated & angry than I arrived! Watching City at Wembley & County winning Championships & Lords finals now seems like it belongs to some ancient era just like watching highlights of the Matthews Final did when i was a kid.
& before anyone says anything...20/20 doesn't count.

Last edited:
good fight back by Boyce 55 and Thakor 69no 186-6

another poor 1st innings batting performance leaving an uphill struggle to save the game

Its embarrassing being from Leicester right now.I spent a dismal day watching them capitulate to a bunch of ****ing students claiming their maiden first class victory.& they didnt even have to work for it.
I was there to soothe my pain over the football & relax.I left even more disillusioned,frustrated & angry than I arrived! Watching City at Wembley & County winning Championships & Lords finals now seems like it belongs to some ancient era just like watching highlights of the Matthews Final did when i was a kid.
& before anyone says anything...20/20 doesn't count.

I was going yesterday - but was unable in the end. I think Gloucs will score a lot of runs today - so I'll go on Thurs because I like suffering!

My take is that we've contracted with a whole batch of young players who have now been around for some time - who are just not good enough to play first class cricket. It seems we have mistaken the situation of losing talented players to Notts - for thinking that other clubs might be possibly interested in our non-performers! We have also brought in other players who have been tried and discarded by other counties - Thornley is a prime example and he's rapidly demonstrating why he was discarded.

Its all bad - except for Thakor (best bat so he goes in at No7!) and the revival of Boyce who has benefiitted from being kept away from the new ball - a move that was so obvious except to our coaches.

The difference between this and the appalling LCFC implosion is that for me the primary factor in attending or not at Grace Road is whether the sun is likely to shine - in which case I don't get too fussed.

It goes to show - that you can never tell.

It's important now that we ease off now so that there is planty of life left in the game for me tomorrow.

Don't worry about that. Nos 7,8 and 9 all get 50s and they have a first innings lead. Then Thornely completes a king Pair?

Well done to Freckingham and Williams though. Would be interested to know what you make of Freck tomorrow.

They can't carry on with the current openers. In the match the combined score for the openers was 9! Drop Thornely and O'Brien and bring in Smith and Robson, they can't do any poorer and give the gloves to Eckersley. I would be also tempted to argue for bringing in someone like Wells for Cobb, who is an allrounder. A message needs to be sent by the club, players need to be picked based on form, not on who they are. In the cases of O'Brien and Sarwan it is a case of poor form, some others form and quality. I have never known anyone to get as many ducks as Thornely - he can't possibly be getting wonder balls all the time. Two of the top 5 have averages of lower order batters, who are picked primarily as bowlers ie in the low 20s. I don't know much about Freckingham and Williams but credit were it is due.

Maybe I am being harsh on O'Brien as he is a wicketkeeper too and did get one 63, and also has a good career record as w/k batsman. However, clearly being 2 down for 10 and 20 odd runs or less each innings, each game will add pressure to the middle order and expose them to the new ball.

Last edited:
They can't carry on with the current openers. In the match the combined score for the openers was 9! Drop Thornely and O'Brien and bring in Smith and Robson, they can't do any poorer and give the gloves to Eckersley. I would be also tempted to argue for bringing in someone like Wells for Cobb, who is an allrounder. A message needs to be sent by the club, players need to be picked based on form, not on who they are. In the cases of O'Brien and Sarwan it is a case of poor form, some others form and quality. I have never known anyone to get as many ducks as Thornely - he can't possibly be getting wonder balls all the time. Two of the top 5 have averages of lower order batters, who are picked primarily as bowlers ie in the low 20s. I don't know much about Freckingham and Williams but credit were it is due.

Thornely has played a lot of first class cricket. He is an opener with an average of 22. His one day statistics are better not read.You need an average of 30 to be considered decent. We have a too small quad but this s never likely to be s signing that was going to make things better.

I think that the basic problem is that too many players get to play first class cricket for Leicestershire when they are simply not good enough. Standards are low and not improving. i sense that the powers that be pray for decent weather / performances in the T20 and think that is good enough to scrape by without facing up to issues for another season.

Don't worry about that. Nos 7,8 and 9 all get 50s and they have a first innings lead. Then Thornely completes a king Pair?
Well done to Freckingham and Williams though. Would be interested to know what you make of Freck tomorrow.

do you know Saturdays lottery numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570