GM's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear when our manager goes more defensive when we are 2-0 down and no bothered about scoring a goal to get back into the game.
Surely if we had scored, the lift it would have given us might have brought a draw but to give up at half time is so woeful.

I didn't think we started off THAT defensively on Saturday. Considering we had Mattock and Stearman at full back who both like to go forward and Hume on the right wing who is clearly a striker, the line-up looked pretty positive.

However, and I have thought about this statement pretty hard, I cannot remember a worse defensive performance from Leicester in the 20 years I have been watching them. This was especially true down our left where both Mattock and Sheehan were woeful and looked petrified of the ball on the ground vs. Lloyd Sam / Danny Mills or the ball in the air vs. Iwelumo / anyone else.

After that, to take Hume (again our best attacking threat) when you're 2-0 down at half-time is a ridiculous decision. I, like most, assumed he was injured. The fact that he wasn't, goal difference or otherwise, makes it a scary decision.

I don't know where we go from here,...it certainly won't be the play-offs if that's all we've got.

I'm not bothered about GM's tactics at all. I couldn't give a toss what formation we play or whether we're considered defensive/dull etc. I'm only interested in winning football.

GM has made it pretty clear that he's not impressed with the players he's got and wants to do some loan/view to perm deals. I expect to see yet more players in over the next month. It will take GM a couple of months to get us playing the way he wants and I expect that by the time we are, we will be out of reach of the play off places. That's not GM's fault (or MA's fault).

I'd back MA or GM's judgement on a player over that of MM anyday. It's not either of their faults that MM decided to recruit several talentless buffoons to join the half wits we already had. It's not MA or GM's fault that MM treats the club like he's playing a computer game.

As a fan, I back GM as a manager who knows how to manage. I'm happy for him to make whatever decisions he sees fit. Although it's not always been the case, I'm prepared to back off and not judge him til the end of the season. This is because I appreciate the enormity of the job he's being asked to do. However, I have serious doubts about whether MM will let him last that long.

In this context, aren't our currently percieved tactics irrelevant?

I'm not bothered about GM's tactics at all. I couldn't give a toss what formation we play or whether we're considered defensive/dull etc. I'm only interested in winning football.

GM has made it pretty clear that he's not impressed with the players he's got and wants to do some loan/view to perm deals. I expect to see yet more players in over the next month. It will take GM a couple of months to get us playing the way he wants and I expect that by the time we are, we will be out of reach of the play off places. That's not GM's fault (or MA's fault).

I'd back MA or GM's judgement on a player over that of MM anyday. It's not either of their faults that MM decided to recruit several talentless buffoons to join the half wits we already had. It's not MA or GM's fault that MM treats the club like he's playing a computer game.

As a fan, I back GM as a manager who knows how to manage. I'm happy for him to make whatever decisions he sees fit. Although it's not always been the case, I'm prepared to back off and not judge him til the end of the season. This is because I appreciate the enormity of the job he's being asked to do. However, I have serious doubts about whether MM will let him last that long.

Take your point and agree with much of it, but even with talentless baffoons bought by someone else, GM still shouldn't be going more defensive at 2-0 down at h-t.

Playing in a negative way puts negative thoughts in the minds of the players, the supporters, and the whole club.

If we're going to lose matches anyway, I'd rather do it in an attacking manner. If we're going to win games I'd rather be winning in style, rather than hanging on for a 1-0.

Ask supporters of any club Kevin Keegan's managed how his style of play has lifted everyone at the club. Ask Arsenal fans how much they prefer to watch the Wenger style than the George Graham style.

Last edited:

Were these the same talentless buffoons who hammered the best team in the division 4-1 your talking about.

Playing in a negative way puts negative thoughts in the minds of the players, the supporters, and the whole club.

If we're going to lose matches anyway, I'd rather do it in an attacking manner. If we're going to win games I'd rather be winning in style, rather than hanging on for a 1-0.

Ask supporters of any club Kevin Keegan's managed how his style of play has lifted everyone at the club. Ask Arsenal fans how much they prefer to watch the Wenger style than the George Graham style.

There is nothing wrong, when playing away, with setting yourself up to keep it tight for the first hour. I'd rather draw 0-0 away than lose 4-3.
Kevin Keegan's tactics eventually got to the Newcastle/England players who came to believe that they couldn't hold on to a lead and consequently ended up losing. That initial lift you can get from attack at all costs football is quickly replaced by disillusionment when the wins don't come.

Kevin Keegan's tactics eventually got to the Newcastle/England players who came to believe that they couldn't hold on to a lead and consequently ended up losing.

He got Newcastle, Fulham and Man City all promoted in his first full season, and challenged for the title at Newcastle.
Wouldn't mind that kind of failure here.

It's all about positive mental attitude. Go into a game thinking you're better than your opponents and can beat them by scoring more goals than them, and you've got a better chance than if you go into a game fearing your opponents and worrying about trying to stop them from scoring.

He got Newcastle, Fulham and Man City all promoted in his first full season, and challenged for the title at Newcastle.

It's all about positive mental attitude. Go into a game thinking you're better than your opponents and can beat them by scoring more goals than them, and you've got a better chance than if you go into a game fearing your opponents and worrying about trying to stop them from scoring.

Hear hear! Keegan stepped down from those jobs feeling he had gone as far as he could in them but he was only 'found out' tactically at the very highest level. World Cups and Premiership title chases.

There is nothing wrong, when playing away, with setting yourself up to keep it tight for the first hour. I'd rather draw 0-0 away than lose 4-3.

There is nothing wrong with that.

But putting a defender on for a striker when you're 2-0 down is indefensible.

If he thought N'Gotty should come on, why didn't he take a defender off instead?

There is nothing wrong with that.

But putting a defender on for a striker when you're 2-0 down is indefensible.

If he thought N'Gotty should come on, why didn't he take a defender off instead?
our defenders having been scoring more than the forwards :102:

Each to his own, but with our current squad I would rather see them playing on the break away from home with a more positive attitude at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669