Google Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

M17TT C

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb&feature=microsite

Was announced sometime last week I believe but f-me it is sounding an awesome piece of kit for the price. Due for release next Tues/Weds and I'm gagging for the pre-order page to open as I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Never usually one to go for the newest phones as they are normally pants down shaftingly expensive but I was looking for a replacement second hand model and prepared to pay £200 for a almost new one but now this has been announced it totally blows everything else out of the water for the price and even handsets that are a lot more expensive.

Quad-core processor, 2gb of ram, 4.7" 720p screen which is about as good as it gets for a phone screen, NFC, wireless charging and best of all, no pointless, rip-off, totally not needed 4G/LTE network capabilities so it clocks in at a measley £240 for 8GB and £280 for 16GB!

Crazy pricing really in comparisson to it's rivals - makes it the same price for a Nexus Phone AND Tablet as it would be for the top Samsung or Apple phone only so totally blows them out of the water.

Storage capacity could be an issue for some though Google are expected to launch their music service on phone release day so you will be able to store it in the cloud and stream it from there providing you have an active data connection of course.

Anyone else looking to get one then?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb&feature=microsite

Was announced sometime last week I believe but f-me it is sounding an awesome piece of kit for the price. Due for release next Tues/Weds and I'm gagging for the pre-order page to open as I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Never usually one to go for the newest phones as they are normally pants down shaftingly expensive but I was looking for a replacement second hand model and prepared to pay £200 for a almost new one but now this has been announced it totally blows everything else out of the water for the price and even handsets that are a lot more expensive.

Quad-core processor, 2gb of ram, 4.7" 720p screen which is about as good as it gets for a phone screen, NFC, wireless charging and best of all, no pointless, rip-off, totally not needed 4G/LTE network capabilities so it clocks in at a measley £240 for 8GB and £280 for 16GB!

Crazy pricing really in comparisson to it's rivals - makes it the same price for a Nexus Phone AND Tablet as it would be for the top Samsung or Apple phone only so totally blows them out of the water.

Storage capacity could be an issue for some though Google are expected to launch their music service on phone release day so you will be able to store it in the cloud and stream it from there providing you have an active data connection of course.

Anyone else looking to get one then?

The 1 reason I wouldn't buy it immediately on release is its not got 4G :)

Last edited:
What benefits are you finding having 4G then Durham as it really doesn't sell to me at all, hence why I see this as an ideal handset?

A lot of reports suggest that indoor reception is very poor/non-existant due to it being transmitted at a non ideal frequency.

On the handset though, bar 4G (if that really is essential), this totally smokes everything and can't imagine adding 4G would add another £200 to the RRP to make it similar price to it's rivals.

I don't have 4G currently but I certainly wouldn't spend £279 on a phone that counted me out of having mobile Internet speeds up to 100 times faster than my existing phone. By the summer 4G will be integrated in the same manner 3G was. I doubt many people would want to go back to Edge or GPRS data

Fair enough but I just do not see the need for it personally and current mobile internet speeds are more than sufficient for me to do what I want. The most data intense tasks I will be doing would be streaming music and the occasional YouTube stream etc and current mobile internet speeds more than cover that.

Just don't see what 100 time faster mobile internet will actually be used for unless you have the need to be down or uploading GBs of data daily and if you did, you certainly wouldn't use a mobile connection to do so, not becuase of the speed, but because of the cost.

4G may well be integrated in the same way that 3G was but there is absolutely no chance that pricing will remain the same so I doubt many people would want to pay more for a service that doesn't really benefit them at all. Customers will still be restricted by the stupidly small data allowances the mainstream operators offer so it will just mean people reach their data limits much quicker.

Upload speeds only seem to be the real useable benefit to me but once the operators cotton on to the fact people are rinsing their networks that way, they'll just introduce an upload limit too so still yet to hear an actual useable benefit for this 4G malarky.

And even if 4G is a essential, for the price it cannot be argued that the Nexus 4 isn't up their, if not streets ahead of it's rivals.

I think you are looking at it in a slightly shortsighted manner. 3G won't exist in any real way in around 24 months whether you like 4G or not. As for the cost, mobile tariffs took a small increase when 3G was mainstream and available to all. I wouldn't expect 4G to be vastly different.

Tests showing that the nexus 4 does have lte but they aren't advertising it are showing up on the internet. It seems they put lte radio chips in the phones.

The 4G chip is on the same qualcomm mo board that is used in the Nexus 4. Not an option to not have it with the processor used in the phone as it's all on the same mo board.

Just had a quick Google and it seems a few Canadian's have got it running on an LTE network as before it had previously been said that whilst it does have the chip, it lacks a signal amplifier and filter in order for it to run 4G/LTE.

If you can force it on to a 4G network through the back door so to speak, then this phone completely wipes the floor with anything else out there as pointless 4G is the only thing the galaxy and apple fans cling on to trying to compare. Pretty much the best specs you can get at about half the price of the competition.

Just need stock batch #2 and probably #3 to arrive before getting one though as the sales process does seem like a complete shambles.

The 4G chip is on the same qualcomm mo board that is used in the Nexus 4. Not an option to not have it with the processor used in the phone as it's all on the same mo board.

Just had a quick Google and it seems a few Canadian's have got it running on an LTE network as before it had previously been said that whilst it does have the chip, it lacks a signal amplifier and filter in order for it to run 4G/LTE.

If you can force it on to a 4G network through the back door so to speak, then this phone completely wipes the floor with anything else out there as pointless 4G is the only thing the galaxy and apple fans cling on to trying to compare. Pretty much the best specs you can get at about half the price of the competition.

Just need stock batch #2 and probably #3 to arrive before getting one though as the sales process does seem like a complete shambles.

Still clinging to it being pointless like a good little Android fanboy?

I'm getting download speeds of 20mbps on the EE 3G network at home and uploads of 3mbps, so can't see any point in lte even though I have the 4g capable Galaxy S3 LTE. My home broadband gives 7.5mbps down and 1mbps up.

Still clinging to it being pointless like a good little Android fanboy?

Give me one useable benefit of 4G though as I am yet to hear one from anyone tbh. I don't count things being done quicker as a benefit though but something which can be done through 4G that cannot be done through 3G.

4G is useable on all iOS/Android/WP'x' (if any windows phones are 4G capable) so it's hardly being an Android fanboy thinking 4G is pointless?

Give me one useable benefit of 4G though as I am yet to hear one from anyone tbh. I don't count things being done quicker as a benefit though but something which can be done through 4G that cannot be done through 3G.

4G is useable on all iOS/Android/WP'x' (if any windows phones are 4G capable) so it's hardly being an Android fanboy thinking 4G is pointless?

By that argument broadband is pointless, not to mention cars and trains.

Last edited:
Yeah that's exactly what I mean. :icon_roll

10/10 for the reply to the fanboy tag too.

So what is the point of broadband? It allows you to do the same thing as dial up, surely there is no need for it?

Still not answered any of the questions and as already mentioned, that is not what I mean.

Unless you really need Macky's smilie thing to show that my previous post was actually sarcasm?

Last edited:
Still not answered any of the questions and as already mentioned, that is not what I mean.

Unless you really need Macky's smilie thing to show that my previous post was actually sarcasm?

You said that you don't count things being done quicker as a benefit, what did I misunderstand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363