Google Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
There are still a lot of areas with no 3G signal, so GPRS has continued to be available.

I have no 3G.

We still use cow-pulled ploughs in these parts and folks have more than their fair share of digits too.

3G prices have come down massively since it first became available. The same will happen with 4G.

I wish that was the case. Three's unlimited internet now has a cap of 2GB. When challenged they said that no one exceeded 2GB, so they could still call it unlimited. I know this to be a lie.

Does anyone know the current (new customer) rate for 2GB? I only ask because the phone I have getting old and temperamental. Is it the SIM that holds the contract or the phone?

I wish that was the case. Three's unlimited internet now has a cap of 2GB. When challenged they said that no one exceeded 2GB, so they could still call it unlimited. I know this to be a lie.

Does anyone know the current (new customer) rate for 2GB? I only ask because the phone I have getting old and temperamental. Is it the SIM that holds the contract or the phone?

My ipad contract with 3 has 25gb per month for £25 if that helps

I have a 100mb limit with O2. Not sure how that happened, I really dropped the ball on that one.

Contract should be associated with the SIM card. IE you could put any sim (providing it is unlocked to the desired network) and the phone will work but you will still have to pay for the remainder of your contract length or pay it off in a lump sum.

Mainstream operators are offer pretty much unusable data allowances, if you area a heavy data user which it sounds like you are then I would recommend having a look at GiffGaff or similar.

Contract should be associated with the SIM card. IE you could put any sim (providing it is unlocked to the desired network) and the phone will work but you will still have to pay for the remainder of your contract length or pay it off in a lump sum.

Mainstream operators are offer pretty much unusable data allowances, if you area a heavy data user which it sounds like you are then I would recommend having a look at GiffGaff or similar.
Surely anyone using over 2gb of data a month would benefit from faster downloads? Say, those found on 4G?

Surely anyone using over 2gb of data a month would benefit from faster downloads? Say, those found on 4G?

Not really, no. It's 2GB over a whole month so they obviously have time to reach their limit already on the shitty, impossible to do anything, 3G signal already.

Why would they want to reach that limit even quicker?

Not really, no. It's 2GB over a whole month so they obviously have time to reach their limit already on the shitty, impossible to do anything, 3G signal already.

It's not about hitting the limit quicker. He's obviously implying that if somebody is using that amount of traffic, then they are using their phone for tasks that would benefit from the fastest connection speed possible

It's not about hitting the limit quicker. He's obviously implying that if somebody is using that amount of traffic, then they are using their phone for tasks that would benefit from the fastest connection speed possible

Not necessarily.

Anyways, it was a silly reply to a silly question.

Not necessarily.

Anyways, it was a silly reply to a silly question.

I'd love to be able to reply to this, but I'm using dial-up at the minute so I'm still waiting for the page to load and haven't actually read it yet.
I'll get back to ya bro

I'd love to be able to reply to this, but I'm using dial-up at the minute so I'm still waiting for the page to load and haven't actually read it yet.
I'll get back to ya bro

I've been trying to reply for ages but I think my carrier pigeon has met a sticky end.

the only way they'd reach the limit quicker is:

- if they started doing things they didn't on 3G because its faster and more convenient
- they started doing more of the same thing than they did on 3G as its faster and more convenient.

the only way they'd reach the limit quicker is:

- if they started doing things they didn't on 3G because its faster and more convenient
- they started doing more of the same thing than they did on 3G as its faster and more convenient.

See a few posts above, a silly reply to a silly question.

This is kind of the point I've been trying to make all along though, what am I going to be able to do on 4G that I cannot do on 3G?

You don't reach 2gb in a month by just browsing and emailing. I upload a lot of photos and files to dropbox, Twitter and Facebook, stream YouTube videos and watch iPlayer and rarely, if ever go above 500mb in a month. I'd still benefit on all those if I had faster access. To hi 2gb you'd have to do some seriously downloading.

I'm going to hold out for 5G, that's the real future. Or maybe it's 6G? I wasn't listening in class, sorry.

You don't reach 2gb in a month by just browsing and emailing. I upload a lot of photos and files to dropbox, Twitter and Facebook, stream YouTube videos and watch iPlayer and rarely, if ever go above 500mb in a month. I'd still benefit on all those if I had faster access. To hi 2gb you'd have to do some seriously downloading.

Is that really 500mb or is it actually 500MB?

Also is that 500 a total of up & download or just the total for one or the other?

If you upload 'a lot' and are still not total over 500MB then what you are uploading must be very small files and therefore wouldn't be massively beneficial to have a faster service. Yes it would upload faster but if they are only small files anyway, its going to be very small the actual difference so imo, not worth paying extra for something to upload in 2 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds.

The only benefit you would see streaming videos is that you will have a slightly shorter buffer time initially and as above, the difference is going to be a matter of seconds so imo, not worth the additional cost. Unless you wanted to watch videos at 2x speed or higher and therefore need to stream more data per second, there is no need for a faster connection to watch a video.

I bet you and Durham can't wait until 1080p mobile phone screens come out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669