Google Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that really 500mb or is it actually 500MB?

Also is that 500 a total of up & download or just the total for one or the other?

If you upload 'a lot' and are still not total over 500MB then what you are uploading must be very small files and therefore wouldn't be massively beneficial to have a faster service. Yes it would upload faster but if they are only small files anyway, its going to be very small the actual difference so imo, not worth paying extra for something to upload in 2 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds.

The only benefit you would see streaming videos is that you will have a slightly shorter buffer time initially and as above, the difference is going to be a matter of seconds so imo, not worth the additional cost. Unless you wanted to watch videos at 2x speed or higher and therefore need to stream more data per second, there is no need for a faster connection to watch a video.

I bet you and Durham can't wait until 1080p mobile phone screens come out too.

Why would I want 1080p screens? We can't steam fast enough for it on 3g.

Why would I want 1080p screens? We can't steam fast enough for it on 3g.

Another strange comment, you do realise it is possible to watch a video on a mobile phone without having to stream it?

Well that makes your previous post even more pointless in that case.

I'm not buying a new phone until direct cerebral implantation is a reality, the delay between my eyes and brain is unacceptable!

Surprisingly, that is why I asked to clarify it.

I would have thought you would read my post before replying to it.

Surprisingly, that is why I asked to clarify it.

I would have thought you would read my post before replying to it.

Yes, that is very surprising considering that nothing has ever been measured in millibits, mainly due to it being an impossible value

Again, which is why I asked to clarify.

If you have such an issue with it I suggest you take it up with the poster I quoted from.

Is that really 500mb or is it actually 500MB?

Also is that 500 a total of up & download or just the total for one or the other?

If you upload 'a lot' and are still not total over 500MB then what you are uploading must be very small files and therefore wouldn't be massively beneficial to have a faster service. Yes it would upload faster but if they are only small files anyway, its going to be very small the actual difference so imo, not worth paying extra for something to upload in 2 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds.

The only benefit you would see streaming videos is that you will have a slightly shorter buffer time initially and as above, the difference is going to be a matter of seconds so imo, not worth the additional cost. Unless you wanted to watch videos at 2x speed or higher and therefore need to stream more data per second, there is no need for a faster connection to watch a video.

I bet you and Durham can't wait until 1080p mobile phone screens come out too.

I shall clarify, I did indeed mean MB, as you well know, and it is data transferred via the phone (I can't remember the app name that I used to measure it). Either way, my contract give me 500MB of data, however EE measure it, and I have never received the text that they assure me they send out to say I have exceeded it.

Everything I use my phone for, could be done via GPRS but I'm bloody glad I don't have to.

Try streaming a video or even a radio station via gprs and it won't work. Therefore given what you said a few posts back, you would not be able to do everything.

upgrading to 3g allowed us the higher data transfer to enable us tasks like the aforementioned so was a big step forward opening up mobile communications to new possibilities.

re data limits, 500MB will most likely be a combined total of up and download but you'd have to check the small print. Also tend not to be that strict if you just go over it once or twice but if you did it consistently id imagine they would give you a heads up on it one way or another.

Last edited:
Yeah if you want to listen at about 32kbps but surely much isn't encoded to that now?

what's the max transfer rate do you know Jeff as surely can't be much higher than that?

Yeah if you want to listen at about 32kbps but surely much isn't encoded to that now?

I've just tried a few stations on Tunein radio, using GPRS on my phone. Sky Sports News works fine, at 32K, BBC Leicester and BBC Cumbria both work, at 48K. I've not had any luck with the BBC national stations.
The Absolute Radio app works fine but it doesn't say what the bit rate is.

what's the max transfer rate do you know Jeff as surely can't be much higher than that?

Not sure, but I think it's a bit faster than a 56K dial up modem.

Again, which is why I asked to clarify.

That's entirely the point. Why on Earth would you need him to clarify it when it is a non-existent and impossible data value? Unless of course you were just trying desperately hard to be contrary for the sake of being contrary.

Last edited:
I've just tried a few stations on Tunein radio, using GPRS on my phone. Sky Sports News works fine, at 32K, BBC Leicester and BBC Cumbria both work, at 48K. I've not had any luck with the BBC national stations.
The Absolute Radio app works fine but it doesn't say what the bit rate is.

Not sure, but I think it's a bit faster than a 56K dial up modem.

Ah fair enough, I rarely take note of the bitrate on TuneIn as I don't have a limit so just go for the highest possible. I just presumed the standard would be a lot higher now as MP3s seem to be 192kbps as standard if not 312 (if that is the correct increment) now. Still though, I am correct in saying that for the tasks previously stated by Matt B, not all of them would be possible to perform over a GPRS connection and I was just trying to use radio as an example of something requiring a hell of a lot less bandwidth than a video that would still probably struggle, as you have found with the national stations, as it is much easier to gain an understanding of something given real world examples.

Quick Google returned a figure of 114kbps although that is theoretical maximum and in reality, would be much less as seems to be referred to as as good as dial up.

That's entirely the point. Why on Earth would you need him to clarify it when it is a non-existent and impossible data value? Unless of course you were just trying desperately hard to be contrary for the sake of being contrary.

And what exactly are you trying to achieve here and your previous 2 or 3 posts on this thread?

Surely you are not trying desperately hard to be contrary for the sake of being contrary as you never do that do you?

Yours Faithfully
Mr. B Kettle

Last edited:
And what exactly are you trying to achieve here and your previous 2 or 3 posts on this thread?

Achieve? Since when was the point of a forum to "achieve" anything? It's a discussion, people respond to posts, that's how a forum works.

Surely you are not trying desperately hard to be contrary for the sake of being contrary as you never do that do you?

Yours Faithfully
Mr. B Kettle

Obviously not Mr Kettle, I haven't been at all contrary in any way.

Well if I was being contrary then surely you were as well. Unless you really meant I was being pedantic?

I'm fully aware that there is nothing to achieve on a forum, but yourself and quite a few others seem to like to try and put others down in order to have a sense of superiority. ​Looking forward to the denial/

Back on topic though, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me something which I will be able to do via 4G that I cannot do on 3G.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469