Google Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said that you don't count things being done quicker as a benefit, what did I misunderstand?

Yes with regards to mobile internet. You know, what is being discussed here and not everything in the world.

You skipped the part about something which can be done through a 4g signal which isn't possible through a 3g signal and also why me thinking 4g is pointless makes me an 'Android Fanboy'.

Either you don't understand that as its the 3rd time I've said it now or you cannot answer.

Yes with regards to mobile internet. You know, what is being discussed here and not everything in the world.

You skipped the part about something which can be done through a 4g signal which isn't possible through a 3g signal and also why me thinking 4g is pointless makes me an 'Android Fanboy'.

Either you don't understand that as its the 3rd time I've said it now or you cannot answer.

You entire input in this thread makes you come across every bit an Android fanatic as any iPhone/Apple people ever do.

There is nothing that can be done through 4G that can't be done through 3G, it is a lot faster though. That doesn't make it pointless. It's very point is that it is faster, ergo it isn't pointless. Wow.

Haha brilliant. I've constantly compared this phone to Samsung as well as Apple. Samsung generally run Android too so I don't see how saying this phones wipes the floor with that makes me an Android fan boy?

How long does it take to download an app now though as that's surely got to be the most commonly used thing that people use a mobile data connection for?

Going back to your analogy - an F1 car is much faster than a normal road car we have now. Why don't we all drive F1 cars as they most certainly are wow factor faster?

Haha brilliant. I've constantly compared this phone to Samsung as well as Apple. Samsung generally run Android too so I don't see how saying this phones wipes the floor with that makes me an Android fan boy?

How long does it take to download an app now though as that's surely got to be the most commonly used thing that people use a mobile data connection for?

Going back to your analogy - an F1 car is much faster than a normal road car we have now. Why don't we all drive F1 cars as they most certainly are wow factor faster?

F1 cars are too expensive and not road legal.

I would imagine most people use their phone to watch/upload media such as video, music and photos. This will be quicker. Your argument has no basis. Would you be happy using GPRS with your current phone?

GPRS was good enough for a teletext like internet, 3g provides data speeds capable of providing a full internet access.

Media streaming of audio and video is no problem now. Full 1080p streaming may be problematic but considering no phone has a 1080p display and there is little difference between 720p & 1080p at 32" displays it is completely pointless in viewing a 1080p video on a mobile device.

Upload would provide an advantage if you were regularly uploading GBs of videos but I fail to see why you would do that on a mobile device as you would also be restricted to data caps which the vast majority of users will have on their tariffs. Most uploads would be a few pics to Facebook or suchlike or possibly a short mobile video clip from a drunken night out etc which takes seconds as it is now.

Downloading a large game would also be advantageous over 4g but again you're restricted by data allowances so negates that also.

GPRS was good enough for a teletext like internet, 3g provides data speeds capable of providing a full internet access.

Media streaming of audio and video is no problem now. Full 1080p streaming may be problematic but considering no phone has a 1080p display and there is little difference between 720p & 1080p at 32" displays it is completely pointless in viewing a 1080p video on a mobile device.

Upload would provide an advantage if you were regularly uploading GBs of videos but I fail to see why you would do that on a mobile device as you would also be restricted to data caps which the vast majority of users will have on their tariffs. Most uploads would be a few pics to Facebook or suchlike or possibly a short mobile video clip from a drunken night out etc which takes seconds as it is now.

Downloading a large game would also be advantageous over 4g but again you're restricted by data allowances so negates that also.

Data allowances will rise in line with increased speeds.

Data allowances will rise in line with increased speeds.

Really? T-mobile gave me unlimited 3g allowance a month ago for the same contract payment if I switch to ee 4g they will give me a 500mb cap.

Really? T-mobile gave me unlimited 3g allowance a month ago for the same contract payment if I switch to ee 4g they will give me a 500mb cap.

EE can do what they want at the moment because there's no competition. Once the other 4G networks go live prices will start to come down and allowances will go up. It's always the case that early adopters will pay more.

EE can do what they want at the moment because there's no competition. Once the other 4G networks go live prices will start to come down and allowances will go up. It's always the case that early adopters will pay more.

Its still going to be a hell of a lot more than current rates and with nothing extra, such like the move from wap to true mobile internet, it doesn't seem to be worth paying any more for.

I do but of course there are added benefits of a cable connection over an ADSL one.

Huge speeds aren't needed for individual users anyway but if you have a number of people sharing a connection then it most certainly is needed.

Given that home internet is vastly less restricted in terms of data allowances, it opens it up to a lot more possibilities.

Huge speeds for a single user heavily restricted by data allowances seems quite pointless.

Last edited:
Well talking about a mobile phone, it would be a single user.

If going by the American market which is already open to competition, data limits won't increase much. Well not to any real useable limits anyway.

10GB of data would be swallowed in a couple of hours if 4 users streamed a HD film at the same time.

Alternatively, a single user could watch 4 HD films with their allowance in a month which doesn't seem very useable to me at all.

Last edited:
Well talking about a mobile phone, it would be a single user.

If going by the American market which is already open to competition, data limits won't increase much. Well not to any real useable limits anyway.

10GB of data would be swallowed in a couple of hours if 4 users streamed a HD film at the same time.

Alternatively, a single user could watch 4 HD films with their allowance in a month which doesn't seem very useable to me at all.

3G prices have come down massively since it first became available. The same will happen with 4G.

I was looking for old 3G prices to see how they compare. In 2005, Orange charged 50P per Megabyte. I also found a forum post discussing the new 3G service. Someone wrote: "Not much point to 3G really".

Do people actually think 3G and 4G will coexist for long? 4G haters will soon be using it whether they like it or not.

3G prices have come down massively since it first became available. The same will happen with 4G.

I was looking for old 3G prices to see how they compare. In 2005, Orange charged 50P per Megabyte. I also found a forum post discussing the new 3G service. Someone wrote: "Not much point to 3G really".

As already mentioned, 3G provided a massive leap from existing data connections to allow us a 'full internet' on the go. 4G doesn't offer us a similar jump apart from doing things a little bit quicker and when the most common data tasks on a phone are probably opening a webpage or downloading an app which takes second as it is anyway, it doesn't seem as worthwhile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670