Gordon Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
But then you have to carry around a penny which is practically worthless, you can't even buy penny sweets with it anymore.
Or penny whistles.
Or penny lanes.

fair comment but surelly a 99p coin will weigh more than a penny, therefore burning a bigger hole in your pocket.
also the need a penny pot and pound shops would dissapear and become exctinct, i just couldnt be a part of that :icon_cry:

Last edited:
fair comment but surelly a 99p coin will weigh more than a penny, therefore burning a bigger hole in your pocket.

Not at all. The intrinsic value of the coin is irrelevent, you could make it the same size as a penny or even smaller.

also the need a penny pot and pound shops would dissapear and become exctinct, i just couldnt be a part of that :icon_cry:

That's got to be a good thing.

Not at all. The intrinsic value of the coin is irrelevent, you could make it the same size as a penny or even smaller.

That's got to be a good thing.

Isn't the value of the material a coin is made of(directly linked to size) meant to be the exact value of the coin, hence the reason pound coins are ridged around the edge?
Or are they ridged to prevent forgery?

Isn't the value of the material a coin is made of(directly linked to size) meant to be the exact value of the coin, hence the reason pound coins are ridged around the edge?
Or are they ridged to prevent forgery?

Not sure what you mean Matt, I thought they were ridged to help blind people.

The exact value of any coin, or note, is constantly changing.

Not sure what you mean Matt, I thought they were ridged to help blind people.

The exact value of any coin, or note, is constantly changing.

Oh ok.

At school we were taught the value of the metal must match the value of the coin, so a pound coin must be made of £1 worth of the alloy. We were taught that this was why pound coins were ridged, because in the olden days it was the easiest way to remove value from a coin, otherwise you would end up with a coin that if cashed was worth a pound, but if sold for the metal would be worth more, which would obviously be wrong.

However we were also taught it was because people used to chip bits from the original pound coins to sell as metal and then still use the coin, so they ridged it to cut this out, but thinking about it now it doesn't make a lot of sense!

Oh ok.

At school we were taught the value of the metal must match the value of the coin, so a pound coin must be made of £1 worth of the alloy. We were taught that this was why pound coins were ridged, because in the olden days it was the easiest way to remove value from a coin, otherwise you would end up with a coin that if cashed was worth a pound, but if sold for the metal would be worth more, which would obviously be wrong.

However we were also taught it was because people used to chip bits from the original pound coins to sell as metal and then still use the coin, so they ridged it to cut this out, but thinking about it now it doesn't make a lot of sense!

Never, ever believe anything that you are taught at school, it is usually shite.

I am actually being serious as well.

Never, ever believe anything that you are taught at school, it is usually shite.

I am actually being serious as well.

See my other post somewhere about knowing everything by the age of 16, then realising everything I knew was shite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669