Gordon Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site is a ****ing joke. Can't say a thing without being lampooned from one side or another. Can't express an opinion without having to defend it for the next 20 mins. The Lcfc forum is full of 'inside jokes' which might make it interesting for some but boring for most.

So disagreement isn't a part of exchange of opinions?

It was a naive thing to say, it was like someone saying I done a Music A-Level and they have more knowledge how to play a guitar than a guitar player.

That may be the case, but Hazz is correct that it has the same clout.

There's only one Clout

clout_stage.jpg

So disagreement isn't a part of exchange of opinions?

It was a naive thing to say, it was like someone saying I done a Music A-Level and they have more knowledge how to play a guitar than a guitar player.

Its really not.

I could have understood if you'd have said something more practical like Physics, English Literature, Maths

I'm not trying to say I know everything about politics. If I had studied history for the last two years then I would say that I know more about history than someone who hasn't done any history. If I had done physics I would say I know more about Physics than someone who hasn't studied it. For Christ sake get over it. Even if I am the most condescending person you have ever read the post of - so what? Don't read them then, its your choice.

:tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

If only Lord Sutch was still with us. The 99p coin was a bloody good idea imo:biggrin:
why do we need a 99p coin when the 1p coin is allready in circulation. surelly its just as easy for a retailer to give you 1p change than you to carry round a99p coin to give to him :102:

You can't have done much in politics thus far. I've just completed my 2 year A level Politics course (easily the hardest course I have ever taken) and the political history shows over the last 20 years nearly all opposition parties have at some time said they would introduce electoral reform - fact is they won't, because when they are in power they want to keep it, and electoral reform won't do this. First past the post provides strong governments, and this is important - without which we would have lacked the power to take on the unions in the 70's and turn this country around from the brink bankruptcy.

Also ever heard of 'Education, Education, Education'? That was one of Blairs speeches over 10years ago. Yes Brown might be planning to increase funding, but various increases have been seen over the past 10 years. Tell your politics teacher not to get his hope up.

On Brown: I think the way Brown has got into power shows his ruthlessness and outright disregard for the country and the electorate. In reality you don't vote for a party leader, but that person leads the party, forms policy and operates the powers to take us into war or give away our sovereignty to Europe. Blair was quite a right wing prime minister considering he was leader of the Labour party. By contrast everyone is expecting Brown to be quite left wing. This could lead to a total change in policy and the direction in which the country is heading, and one which the votes of this country have had no say in.

on top of all this I feel Brown has really stabbed Blair in the back, fair enough he wants his chance as Labour leader, but most agree that Brown has been trying to boot him out of the door since his mid second term. Again not in the best interests of the country, nor was it morally correct.

Overall I will never vote for Gordan Brown because i think he is a grade A tosser.

To get back to what you actually said,

1. "Nearly all" Over the last 20 years Labour & the Tories have been the opposition half the time each. Only one of them (Labour ) promised constitutional reform. It has actually introduced new voting systems for London, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland assemblies and European elections.

2. We had majority governments in the 70s. It was the 80s when Maggie "Took on the unions" as you put it. The country had been on the brink of bankruptcy since MacMillan's give-away policies of the mid 50s.

3. Brown has got to power in much the same way as MacMillan, Douglas-Hume, Callaghan and Major - they all replaced their predecessors between elections. That's 5 out of 11 post-war prime ministers. Hardly unusual is it?.

4. Not everyone by a long chalk thinks he will be "left wing". He has never been anywhere near to the left of his party.

why do we need a 99p coin when the 1p coin is allready in circulation. surelly its just as easy for a retailer to give you 1p change than you to carry round a99p coin to give to him :102:

Biff you obviously lack the fundamental requirements to be a true raving loony:icon_roll.

Once again i will publish the manifesto that the loonies are convinced will return Britain to its former glory:icon_razz

http://www.webarchive.org.uk/pan/11690/20050531/omrlp.brinkster.net/Manicfesto2005.html

Sad to see they no longer have their excellent energy policy of making all joggers go on treadmills to generate electricity.

But then you have to carry around a penny which is practically worthless, you can't even buy penny sweets with it anymore.
Or penny whistles.
Or penny lanes.

To get back to what you actually said,

1. "Nearly all" Over the last 20 years Labour & the Tories have been the opposition half the time each. Only one of them (Labour ) promised constitutional reform. It has actually introduced new voting systems for London, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland assemblies and European elections.

Those voting systems were introduced as a result of devolution, and in reality haven't worked very well. The single transferable vote in N.Ireland is apparently one of the hardest systems for the voter to understand. And we have recently seen over 100,000 ballots spoilt in Scotland.

Having to form a 'coalition government' restricts the powers of the leaders. Admittedly this helps in some cases, but it will properly more often than not hinder when trying to introduce reforms.

At the end of the day they havent reformed the voting system to get them into power, and I dount we will ever see it reformed because Governments would have far too much to lose as a result.

2. We had majority governments in the 70s. It was the 80s when Maggie "Took on the unions" as you put it. The country had been on the brink of bankruptcy since MacMillan's give-away policies of the mid 50s.

On the dates that was an accidental typo. I still stand by the point that if we had a coalitions government that Thatcher properly wouldn't have been able to take on the unions as the lack of a united single party could have seen restrictions on her power, mandate and ability to withstand such actions as the miners strike.

3. Brown has got to power in much the same way as MacMillan, Douglas-Hume, Callaghan and Major - they all replaced their predecessors between elections. That's 5 out of 11 post-war prime ministers. Hardly unusual is it?

It's not unusual, and it’s not wrong. I just consider the way in which it has been carried out immoral

4. Not everyone by a long chalk thinks he will be "left wing". He has never been anywhere near to the left of his party.

Ok fair enough, he might not be left wing to the degree that we end up with a virtual communist in charge, but most political reporters seem to be of the opinion that Gordon Browns political ideology is to the left. Far more so than Blair. Again this isn't wrong, just the fact that as leader he will guide this country in a different direction, and without being party leader during the previous election I feel this is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669