Hayles released by city: mad dog interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Striker Barry Hayles is in talks with Cheltenham and Walsall after being released by Leicester. (Daily Star) "

Reported on the BBC gossip page..Any comments highs(was there any?) and lows in his time at city?

During the relegation season, if other players had shown his level of committment, we wouldn't have got relegated to division 3!

Imo, some people need to cut him some slack.

Barry Hayles may be rubbish but he is better than most of the players Martin Allen signed for us. He was a fiery player, brave and committed. However, he was just past it. Ian Holloway signed him because he was desperate to change our lack of goals. Like most desperate gambles it did not pay off.
Youngsters aside if a player has not been good enough to get in a team getting promotion from League One he will not be good enough to get promotion from the Championship.

Barry Hayles may be rubbish but he is better than most of the players Martin Allen signed for us. He was a fiery player, brave and committed. However, he was just past it. Ian Holloway signed him because he was desperate to change our lack of goals. Like most desperate gambles it did not pay off.
Youngsters aside if a player has not been good enough to get in a team getting promotion from League One he will not be good enough to get promotion from the Championship.

Spot on! Thank you and goodbye Barry

"Striker Barry Hayles is in talks with Cheltenham and Walsall after being released by Leicester. (Daily Star) "

Reported on the BBC gossip page..Any comments highs(was there any?) and lows in his time at city?

Two highs for the guy that I can remember...

The last minute goal of his bum (or something, it wasn't meant.) to give us three points against Neil Warnocks Palace at home. It was a dire game, but I jumped off my sofa and celebrated rather too loud for my mothers liking!

The other one - possibly a turning point in this season - his subsitute appearnce against Bristol Rovers at home. We were 1-0 down, things weren't looking good and he came on and hussled, bussled and just generally helped to change the game.

That game was the starting point for our really good run, so far play Barry for that.

He hasn't done bad for himself mind - not only do Cheltenham want him but Walsall too and neither are managed by Ian Holloway!

During the relegation season, if other players had shown his level of committment, we wouldn't have got relegated to division 3!

Imo, some people need to cut him some slack.

Yes quite agree, it was against his wishes that he retire somewhere other than Plymouth.

wasn't awful just wasn't what we were looking for, I'm sure he'd be the first to agree.

Last edited:
Yes quite agree, it was against his wishes that he retire somewhere other than Plymouth.

wasn't awful just wasn't what we were looking for, I'm sure he'd be the first to agree.

i.e. someone who is good at football/can score goals? Couldn't agree more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670