Help - Best Indian Restaurant In Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paddy's Marten Inn. Martin Street, off Catherine Street.
Thanks, Feriol! Will see if I can lure my fellow travellers on that direction.

Anyone else with recommandations they beleive is better?

:):):):):001::001::001::)
Thanks, Feriol! Will see if I can lure my fellow travellers on that direction.

Anyone else with recommandations they beleive is better?

Food is great there but the venue is a very basic, just don't want you to be surprised when you walk in.:)

You'll need to get a taxi from the city centre but it is worth it

:):):):):001::001::001::)

Food is great there but the venue is a very basic, just don't want you to be surprised when you walk in.:)

You'll need to get a taxi from the city centre but it is worth it
Thanks, Gaz!
If I can't persuade the others to take a taxi, which ones in the city centre would you recommend?

Thanks, Gaz!
If I can't persuade the others to take a taxi, which ones in the city centre would you recommend?

Kayal on granby Street, near the train station.

You'll have to book a table at the Marten Inn or Kayal.

Marten Inn 01162665123

Kayal 01162554667

Last edited:
Paddy's Marten Inn. Martin Street, off Catherine Street.

Seconded. Absolutely splendid food at not too bad prices either. I only 'discovered' this place last year but have now been several times and have never once been let down.

Chutney Ivy is good, it near curve theatre. Also couple of good bars nearby.
It's a little bit more expensive but nice venue.
Kayal is supposed to be very good but I've never been.

If you go to Kayal they have a less familiar menu so if your wanting a korma, jalfrazi etc the Marten Inn is the better choice.

Kayal has traditional cuisine from the Kerala area of south India, the fish and seafood is the speciality. I recommend the 'Kayal soup' which is made with seafood, and the talapia pollichathu.

Another thing to note is that the Marten Inn would be very awkward with a wheelchair. By law they would have to accommodate you, but they don't have any ramps or facilities.

I married into an Indian family and have become rather opinionated about my Indian cuisine. For what it's worth:

Forget Tripadvisor or the Mercury for curries reviews in Leicester. I've just looked at the reviews/ratings and they're all over the place on both. The Mercury are notoriously shocking at judging these things and somewhat open to influence.

For me, Marten Inn is okay but not worth the hassle if you're in the City Centre. There are at least ten perfectly good curry houses within the City. Marten Inn is a pretty ugly place with a half decent chef.

The modern day attempt to poncify the curry is to be ignored - Shimla Pinks, Chutney Ivy, Lilu. I've been to them all and they all miss the point about what is nice about a curry. If you want what most people want - something made fresh, well spiced, good options, it really isn't hard to find in Leicester. Anywhere that doesn't provide this, doesn't survive for long. The other thing I find with curries is that even the really good places are hit and miss. An example would by the Tiffin on London Road. You can have a terrific dish one day and a terrible one the next.

I'd be far more concerned with where you are likely to be when you will want to eat and select somewhere half decent from the local area.

Kayal gets good ratings because it's a bit different in that it serves Southern Indian food. If you want this sort of thing, it's perfectly good. However, it isn't your typical curry house selection.

The best way of judging one on the day is whether they are busy and full of brown faces or not. I've not been since it moved along London Road but I've always found the Curry House to be pretty reliable.

And if all that hasn't completely confused you, nothing will!!

I married into an Indian family and have become rather opinionated about my Indian cuisine. For what it's worth:

Forget Tripadvisor or the Mercury for curries reviews in Leicester. I've just looked at the reviews/ratings and they're all over the place on both. The Mercury are notoriously shocking at judging these things and somewhat open to influence.

For me, Marten Inn is okay but not worth the hassle if you're in the City Centre. There are at least ten perfectly good curry houses within the City. Marten Inn is a pretty ugly place with a half decent chef.

The modern day attempt to poncify the curry is to be ignored - Shimla Pinks, Chutney Ivy, Lilu. I've been to them all and they all miss the point about what is nice about a curry. If you want what most people want - something made fresh, well spiced, good options, it really isn't hard to find in Leicester. Anywhere that doesn't provide this, doesn't survive for long. The other thing I find with curries is that even the really good places are hit and miss. An example would by the Tiffin on London Road. You can have a terrific dish one day and a terrible one the next.

I'd be far more concerned with where you are likely to be when you will want to eat and select somewhere half decent from the local area.

Kayal gets good ratings because it's a bit different in that it serves Southern Indian food. If you want this sort of thing, it's perfectly good. However, it isn't your typical curry house selection.

The best way of judging one on the day is whether they are busy and full of brown faces or not. I've not been since it moved along London Road but I've always found the Curry House to be pretty reliable.

My wife is Indian as well, so I have tried a lot of places. What you say about the inconsistent experiences is true, and is why my wife's family and now me tend to eat at, and recommend Marten Inn, we have been happy every time.

Most of the city centre restaurants seem to struggle when they have a lot of people, and I'm sure a lot use frozen dishes, so I would avoid them completely on Friday or Saturday evenings.

Shimlas was closed the other week after they found vermin in the kitchen.

After all these excellent advices I'll probably end up confused in a chip shop or at McDonalds wondering what happened.

Any hint as to the identity of the ones you do recommend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669