Hillsborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

Anybody going to be watching the programme on tonight about this?

I must admit i hate Liverpool with a passion but i will be watching this. I suppose you could call it a morbid fascination.

I wasn't really old enough to know much about this a few years back but i'd like to watch this to see what happened, peoples views etc.

RIP to anyone that died in this.

is it from everyones viewpoint or just from a liverpool one

I'm not sure tbh YV. I reckon the majority will be from a liverpool point of view. I expect the police to get slated.

I was having a debate in the pub last night about it. Got quite heated to be fair. The liverpool fans among my mates were slating the police but the neutral fans said whilst the police can certainly not have no blame, a large part of the blame should go on the liverpool fans who didn't have tickets.

I sat on the fence to be fair. I'd probably lean towards the neutrals opinions at a push.

the neutral fans said whilst the police can certainly not have no blame, a large part of the blame should go on the liverpool fans who didn't have tickets.

Sums it up for me, It was the Pool fans who rushed in the gates, they did not have the same problems in the forest end so some blame must go to the ticketless fans.

I'm not sure tbh YV. I reckon the majority will be from a liverpool point of view. I expect the police to get slated.

I was having a debate in the pub last night about it. Got quite heated to be fair. The liverpool fans among my mates were slating the police but the neutral fans said whilst the police can certainly not have no blame, a large part of the blame should go on the liverpool fans who didn't have tickets.

I sat on the fence to be fair. I'd probably lean towards the neutrals opinions at a push.

i would too, it was a terrible thing that happened but like you i cant see how some liverpool fans were not partly responsible tbh

i would too, it was a terrible thing that happened but like you i cant see how some liverpool fans were not partly responsible tbh

Yeah i dont wish it on anyone. My liverpool mates could not see it as their fans faults. I can't see how some blame can't go onto them. Like Lako said it didn't happen in the forest end.

I don't think the police was blameless one bit. There should have been some control.

My mate said yesterday i wonder how the fans without tickets that got in that day feel now!

Sums it up for me, It was the Pool fans who rushed in the gates, they did not have the same problems in the forest end so some blame must go to the ticketless fans.

Which had been ordered to be opened by the police.

There were so many rights and wrongs on all sides which contributed to that disaster. Thankfully we have moved on enormously since those dark days.

Which had been ordered to be opened by the police.

I know that, but that is why both parties should take some blame, I believe the pool fans who ran in were able minded and could think for themselves?

I watched a lot of the coverage yesterday and in view of what has happened since you can not understand just how bad it was.

So many things failed on the day which in this day and age we take for granted.

There were problems with forged tickets and Tickets were not being checked in any exclusion zone(see below*) around the Leppings Lane end was a big error. They had also given this smaller end to Liverpool fans being 6,000 tickets less than Forest. This error was then compounded by the fatal error by the police decision to open the gates and let the Liverpool fans go rushing in with nothing to stop them heading for the middle tunnel which lead to the deaths of so many rather than to either the left or right which although busy was not deadly overcrowded.

Had they announced a delay to the kick off, as mentioned on TV yesterday by Kenny Dalgleish, this would also have helped as the fans were rushing in as the game was about to kick off and unbelievably kicked off on time . So if a later ko had been decided instead of the decision to open the gates the situation could have been calmed down, and the police could have had someone go to the area in pens 3 and 4 behind the goal to report on the situation

The chief superintendent David Duckenfield who was in charge had not done such an operation before, indeed the year before, when Liverpool were also there, when another officer was in charge they had the exclusion zone* in place and everything went off okay although I gather there was fighting between fans which they did not want a repeat of. Duckenfield did not want to lose face and having no real experience in this area rushed into the fatal decisions he made but although he resigned he nor anyone else has ever faced any charges.

Anyone see the poor ambulance man who tried to save lives that day he still feels guilty even though he was able to help BUT where were the other ambulances? They were all waiting on standby and none of them were told to come and help until it was too late and they were just transporting bodies.

The police treated this when it started as hooligans trying to start a pitch invasion or to get to oppositions fans, as of course in the 80's this did happen now and again BUT this if it happened it was near the end of games when fans tried to abandon the game, or tried to get to the other fans, not a few minutes in. The fences, which had been put up all over the country(including Filbert Street of course) because of the hooligan element, were of course the reason why so many died as there was no way out and that is why they had to come down.

RIP Those 96 who died and my thoughts go out to all the relatives and friends of those involved who said goodbye to them on a Matchday morning and never saw them return.

A very black day which lives strong in my memory. Inept policing, bad planning, but there are those that pushed in the tunnel that must have a conscience to what they contributed to.

The Leppings lane end had a much lower capacity than the Kop end which was given to Forest. Back then fake tickets were rife. It was obvious there were going to be those without or with fakes turning up. I also read that the barriers on the Leppings lane end hadn't passed safety inspections, so the two pens that the crush happened in, directly in front of the only exit entry tunnel, should have had a restricted capacity.

It’s terrible that such an unnecessary loss of life there, and at previous incidents such as the Bradford fire, that we now have relatively safe conditions to watch football in.

I do miss the terraces though and would be in favour of them coming back in some shape or form.

I wonder if there will be any mention of the irrefutable fact that it is easy to be right after the event.

I watched a lot of the coverage yesterday and in view of what has happened since you can not understand just how bad it was.

So many things failed on the day which in this day and age we take for granted.

There were problems with forged tickets and Tickets were not being checked in any exclusion zone(see below*) around the Leppings Lane end was a big error. They had also given this smaller end to Liverpool fans being 6,000 tickets less than Forest. This error was then compounded by the fatal error by the police decision to open the gates and let the Liverpool fans go rushing in with nothing to stop them heading for the middle tunnel which lead to the deaths of so many rather than to either the left or right which although busy was not deadly overcrowded.

Had they announced a delay to the kick off, as mentioned on TV yesterday by Kenny Dalgleish, this would also have helped as the fans were rushing in as the game was about to kick off and unbelievably kicked off on time . So if a later ko had been decided instead of the decision to open the gates the situation could have been calmed down, and the police could have had someone go to the area in pens 3 and 4 behind the goal to report on the situation

The chief superintendent David Duckenfield who was in charge had not done such an operation before, indeed the year before, when Liverpool were also there, when another officer was in charge they had the exclusion zone* in place and everything went off okay although I gather there was fighting between fans which they did not want a repeat of. Duckenfield did not want to lose face and having no real experience in this area rushed into the fatal decisions he made but although he resigned he nor anyone else has ever faced any charges.

Anyone see the poor ambulance man who tried to save lives that day he still feels guilty even though he was able to help BUT where were the other ambulances? They were all waiting on standby and none of them were told to come and help until it was too late and they were just transporting bodies.

The police treated this when it started as hooligans trying to start a pitch invasion or to get to oppositions fans, as of course in the 80's this did happen now and again BUT this if it happened it was near the end of games when fans tried to abandon the game, or tried to get to the other fans, not a few minutes in. The fences, which had been put up all over the country(including Filbert Street of course) because of the hooligan element, were of course the reason why so many died as there was no way out and that is why they had to come down.

RIP Those 96 who died and my thoughts go out to all the relatives and friends of those involved who said goodbye to them on a Matchday morning and never saw them return.

An excllent considered post, if i had a hat i'd take it off to you.

:038::038::038:

When do we stop "commemorating" this event? It get's remembered by the nation every year, the programme is called "remembering..." but we never get chance to forget.

It was a tragic event but lessons where apparantly learnt and I don't see what is to be gained by keep going on about it. I don't think it would have lasted so long if it hadn't been Liverpool.

if you was around in them days to see a football match you knew the things that went on at football.i was 15 and at the leics v chelsea game on this day.i recall maybe 5000 chelsea fans outside didnt have tixs but no gates were opened.police to blame really.
this disaster was going to happen its just a shame it took 96 people to lose there lives and some of them young kids.the pictures in the news and in the papers over the weeks that followed were awful.the barrier fences that were just bent like wire were just like the ones in our kop and believe me i been trapped behind one on a few occasions but didnt move.makes you realise what kind of pressure was going on in the liverpool end.

When do we stop "commemorating" this event? It get's remembered by the nation every year, the programme is called "remembering..." but we never get chance to forget.

It was a tragic event but lessons where apparantly learnt and I don't see what is to be gained by keep going on about it. I don't think it would have lasted so long if it hadn't been Liverpool.

96 men, women and children having their breath and their life squeezed out of them at a football match ?

I think it would have lasted as long regardless of who it was

this disaster was going to happen its just a shame it took 96 people to lose there lives and some of them young kids.the pictures in the news and in the papers over the weeks that followed were awful.the barrier fences that were just bent like wire were just like the ones in our kop and believe me i been trapped behind one on a few occasions but didnt move.makes you realise what kind of pressure was going on in the liverpool end.

Yeah I remember the old pen 3 which was overcrowded on a number of occasions but obviously not like that day in Sheffield in 1989. The main problem in those days was when some other Firm decided to come in the Kop to try and "take it". Anyone remember when Man City tried it on once they got a right pasting eventually.

96 men, women and children having their breath and their life squeezed out of them at a football match ?

I think it would have lasted as long regardless of who it was

I have to agree it's one of those events that stills makes me emotional now.

Anyone who used to go to football in the 70s and 80s can kind of relate to what happened that day.

Hillsborough eventually changed everybody's attitude to football and slowly fans went from hooligans to customers but it didn't happen straightaway

I remember going to see City in 1994 at Maine Rd in the FA Cup and being pushed up against a fence after the game ended and the police just ignoring pleas for them to open the gates in the fence and let people out.

We may feel that today's ground lack atmosphere but at least they are safe.

96 people never returned from a football match - that chokes me everytime I think about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669