Hillsborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 1985 i stood behind the goal at the Baseball ground for Leicesters 3rd f.a.cup tie against Burton Albion.
This of course was pre-hillsborough, and i never thought of the dangers at that time. I dont know if anyone on here was there that day, but i along with many others were quite badly crushed. It really was an awful experience, and if i'd had the knowledge of Hillsborough i would have been scared shitless that day.

Natural disaster vrs Human leadership failure. The stories cannot be compared IMO.

So where would you put Hysel then? That gets very little coverage.

It's about time the police put their hands up too.

Around 1985 i stood behind the goal at the Baseball ground for Leicesters 3rd f.a.cup tie against Burton Albion.
This of course was pre-hillsborough, and i never thought of the dangers at that time. I dont know if anyone on here was there that day, but i along with many others were quite badly crushed. It really was an awful experience, and if i'd had the knowledge of Hillsborough i would have been scared shitless that day.

Certainly was. I was there with my young son but in the stand behind the goal.

Derby had allowed Derby fans to buy tickets for multiple sections presumably on the basis that they were 'neutrals' which they of course were not.

The whole atmosphere was volatile and smacked of a lack of any crowd control - the incident of the Burton keeper being hit by a coin which led to the replay behind closed doors at Highfield Road, Coventry was just one facet of an extremely unpleasant experience

it was a sad event, but ****s me off that those who did wrong (other than the police who have been blamed publicly since) have escaped any criticism because its ****ing liverpool. call me a **** if you like, but I assume those who rushed the gate must sleep badly ever since after their stupidity that day. anyone who thinks the same publicity, sympathy and ignorance to the facts would be given had it been Forest fans and not Liverpool are total ****ing mugs

it was a sad event, but ****s me off that those who did wrong (other than the police who have been blamed publicly since) have escaped any criticism because its ****ing liverpool. call me a **** if you like, but I assume those who rushed the gate must sleep badly ever since after their stupidity that day. anyone who thinks the same publicity, sympathy and ignorance to the facts would be given had it been Forest fans and not Liverpool are total ****ing mugs
Fitz! You can't blame the scallies! what on earth are you thinking?

Don't think its important who is to blame,there isn't always one person to blame.The sad thing is 96 people lost their lives after leaving their loved ones hours before with the intention of having a good time going to football match.You lot can dig and slag Scousers,Geordies,Cockneys,Brummies etc off all you like but thats irrelevent as far as I'm concerned,this could just easily have been LCFC fans and I think people should have a little respect for the 96 who lost their lives and their loved ones.Its not about where they come from and personal dislike of a certain type of people vecause of where they come from and the team they suuport should be cast to one side with events like this.
That is my only post on this subject and I will no doubt be accused of Scouser Loving sfter it but so what

Don't think its important who is to blame,there isn't always one person to blame.The sad thing is 96 people lost their lives after leaving their loved ones hours before with the intention of having a good time going to football match.You lot can dig and slag Scousers,Geordies,Cockneys,Brummies etc off all you like but thats irrelevent as far as I'm concerned,this could just easily have been LCFC fans and I think people should have a little respect for the 96 who lost their lives and their loved ones.Its not about where they come from and personal dislike of a certain type of people vecause of where they come from and the team they suuport should be cast to one side with events like this.
That is my only post on this subject and I will no doubt be accused of Scouser Loving sfter it but so what

Nice post HF.

Having spent a fair few Saturdays in the 1980s standing on the terraces of Old Trafford's Stretford End I remember what a crush felt like when fans surged forward. You learnt to always stand infront of one of those dividing barriers rather than behind, leaning on it, especially if you're only 5 foot 3 and female.

I read somewhere recently than the Leppings Lane end had only half the number of turnstyles open than the Notts Forest fans had available to them which added to the crush.

I also read a post on a Newcastle forum this week which described a game at Hillsborough a year or so earlier where something similar happened, with everyone crowded into the middle pen, but luckily a female police office had the sense to open the gate to let people pour into a side pen which was virtually empty. There was a feeling of a disaster waiting to happen.

It's easy with hindsight to dish out blame. At the end of the day 96 people died. I watched the live broadcast, and it isn't a good memory.

Last edited:
there isn't always one person to blame

spot on, there wasn't just one to blame. there was ****ing hundreds, although the police/officials in charge etc get the blame for practically murdering people when others that contributed get ignored from all criticism due to compassion. the 96 that died are to be remembered by those who loved them and have the pity of those such as myself that never knew them of course.

it was a sad day for football and the country in general, yet another example of how we ignore the actions of some when it suits

spot on, there wasn't just one to blame. there was ****ing hundreds, although the police/officials in charge etc get the blame for practically murdering people when others that contributed get ignored from all criticism due to compassion. the 96 that died are to be remembered by those who loved them and have the pity of those such as myself that never knew them of course.

it was a sad day for football and the country in general, yet another example of how we ignore the actions of some when it suits

id go along with that, maybe not in the same tone but i agree with it

good post! :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670