House Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

pds

We are currently renting a house from my girlfriends mum, she now wants to sell and has offered to sell it to us for about 10-20k below what she would get if she put it up for sale. We have been told we can afford this but I was wondering if there were any pitfalls to this that I may have missed.

Are there any issues that could arise from buying a house so much cheaper than it's market value - are there any rules in place regarding this sort of transaction?

Apologies if these questions appear a bit silly but after weeks of trying to sort out where to live in a couple of months time my head is spinning!

As Dour says no problems present themselves with this - I would snap her hand off tbh. I assume you have a mortgage agreed?

As Dour says no problems present themselves with this - I would snap her hand off tbh. I assume you have a mortgage agreed?

We've got a decision in principle and the monthly payments for the fixed rate mortgage would not be much more than we are paying now. It all seems ok but as I said my head is spinning and I am the most cautious person unfortunately so I'm a little stressed. :icon_lol:

Maybe I should start drinking.

I agree, snap it up quickly then put it back on the market for the 20k extra that it is actually worth :icon_wink

:icon_lol: Not interested in selling for a good few years. After renting for the last 3 years and constantly having to up root and move on I just want to be some where I can stay with enough space for my little boy to run around in.

Last edited:
:icon_lol: Not interested in selling for a good few years. After renting for the last 3 years and constantly having to up root and move on I just want to be some where I can stay with enough space for my little boy to run around in.

Understandable mate. With having a little man on the way I am glad I have my own house and relative security it brings. Will be looking to move before he gets to school age tho.

That's the other good thing - we're just around the corner from the best school in the area.

All seems a bit too good to be true!

That's the other good thing - we're just around the corner from the best school in the area.

All seems a bit too good to be true!

Get it sorted and then crack open the champers to celebrate :)

We are currently renting a house from my girlfriends mum, she now wants to sell and has offered to sell it to us for about 10-20k below what she would get if she put it up for sale.

What's her health like? Not trying to avoid any sort of inheritance tax is she?!

What's her health like? Not trying to avoid any sort of inheritance tax is she?!

I was hoping someone else would write this so that I wouldn't have to sound like a know-it-all. Although in the current market you may be able to argue that it's still a fair price, the same goes for bankruptcy.

I suppose this could be regarded as a 'burn in hell' comment too, even though it is only a reminder that things might not always be how they seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669