How Much Longer?

How Much Longer Has Levein Got?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAKTF FOX
Now I know I am going to get some awful stick for this suggestion, but please read through my reasons as to why I suggest this man, if we ever have to replace CL. My suggestion is Mark McGhee...cue hideous abuse.

Never go back, that's what I say

Yep, never go back.

As for McGhee as a manager, I think he's learnt a lot and is a decent manager. And, despite the fact that the fat git does annoy me, we played some of the best football I've ever seen from City under his brief spell in charge. Remember the first-half drubbing of Portsmouth? I can't remember a city side playing such good football as that. Sparkling!

But let's not get that fat bugger back - get behind Craigy Boy and everything will work out fine. I promise.... ;)

DesertFox said:
Yep, never go back.

As for McGhee as a manager, I think he's learnt a lot and is a decent manager. And, despite the fact that the fat git does annoy me, we played some of the best football I've ever seen from City under his brief spell in charge. Remember the first-half drubbing of Portsmouth? I can't remember a city side playing such good football as that. Sparkling!

But let's not get that fat bugger back - get behind Craigy Boy and everything will work out fine. I promise.... ;)

Certainly, the abuse McGhee got was slightly over the top. The simple reason being that he did no different to a number of other managers who have left the club for what they considered to be greener pastures. The thing with McGhee being that he handled the situation in a pretty ugly or alternatively more honest way - take your pick there on what applies.

I will also risk abuse by daring to say that I think we would probably do better under McGhee than Levein. That said, we can't keep chopping and changing unless it is absolutely necessary -so for the time being I think it's right to stick with the guy we have - although as i've posted before my gut feeling is that it's more likely to end in tears than cheers.

Please note I am not saying we should get rid of Levein, personally I want him to stay and see the job through. It's just with all the current moaning and speculation that CL maybe on borrowed time, then it was more a hypothetical question, should the need to replace the manager arise. And as for the never go back, I dont agree in McGhee's position, he was never here long enough, also if, and I sincerely hope it doesnt happen, Levein was to leave the club, which in the current climate, isnt out of the realms of possibility then I really do believe McGhee would be the best option, and TBH we would do well to attract somebody of his calibre.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Please note I am not saying we should get rid of Levein, personally I want him to stay and see the job through. It's just with all the current moaning and speculation that CL maybe on borrowed time, then it was more a hypothetical question, should the need to replace the manager arise. And as for the never go back, I dont agree in McGhee's position, he was never here long enough, also if, and I sincerely hope it doesnt happen, Levein was to leave the club, which in the current climate, isnt out of the realms of possibility then I really do believe McGhee would be the best option, and TBH we would do well to attract somebody of his calibre.

I wouldnt be as sensitive as you are. The fact is that things are not going at all well under Levein.....and as you hint in these circumstances managers tend to jump or get pushed. Levein certainly doesn't look as if the job is giving him a lot of joy at the moment.

I guess 90% plus of supporters want to see things change for the better under the present manager - that is by far the best outcome. That said, its always too late to be losing and never too early to start winning ..... so on that basis things need to improve in the reasonably near future.

I also agree that McGhee is the sort of calibre of manager that is about as good as we could expect to recruit..... a couple of wins and all the stuff about the Wolves would soon be forgotten..... I don't go along with all this vindictiveness towards people who have walked out/moved on from the club, its all part of professional football everyday life. Many years ago Frank McLintock 'walked out' on a very successful, highly competitive Leicester City side to go the the Arsenal.....fans were incensed. Years down the track , he was welcomed back as one of the most popular managerial appointments in the club's history. The fact that he was proved to be hopeless is irrelevant. As we have said repeatedly, the only loyalty comes from the fans.

Good post Redditch, I agree with you, a couple more bad results and I can see either the board panicking and getting rid or Levein quoting personal reasons for his decision to step down and go back to Scotland.

In recent interviews and at matches Levein seems to have lost the zest and his body language indicates somebody under intense pressure and / or a person not happy in his current employment. His interviews recently have eluded to bad luck rather than performance, CL in the past was refreshingly honest about performances, at the moment he appears to be more defensive and protective, signs of a manager under pressure. I dont know whether the pressure is coming from the board, his family or both, but there has been a significant change to CL's demeanour over the last few weeks, and he is a shadow of the man that came down here 12 months ago. There is no smoke without fire and rumours of a managerial change, and this may not all be one way, have been doing the rounds for a number of weeks and with the unrest starting to show amongst pockets of the Walkers crowd, I fear that either the board or Levein will decide enough is enough sooner rather than later.

It appears to me that there is an uneasy atmosphere hanging over the Walkers at the moment, it is almost like the club is in limbo, it feels very similar to that around the time MA left. I dont like it one bit.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
Good post Redditch, I agree with you, a couple more bad results and I can see either the board panicking and getting rid or Levein quoting personal reasons for his decision to step down and go back to Scotland.

In recent interviews and at matches Levein seems to have lost the zest and his body language indicates somebody under intense pressure and / or a person not happy in his current employment. His interviews recently have eluded to bad luck rather than performance, CL in the past was refreshingly honest about performances, at the moment he appears to be more defensive and protective, signs of a manager under pressure. I dont know whether the pressure is coming from the board, his family or both, but there has been a significant change to CL's demeanour over the last few weeks, and he is a shadow of the man that came down here 12 months ago. There is no smoke without fire and rumours of a managerial change, and this may not all be one way, have been doing the rounds for a number of weeks and with the unrest starting to show amongst pockets of the Walkers crowd, I fear that either the board or Levein will decide enough is enough sooner rather than later.

It appears to me that there is an uneasy atmosphere hanging over the Walkers at the moment, it is almost like the club is in limbo, it feels very similar to that around the time MA left. I dont like it one bit.

The club is in limbo - for several reasons:

1. No one in their right mind could believe that the squad is capable of promotion - its not about the mathematics its about the lack of quality.

2. Fans are starting to fear that CL has brought in some players who look as much like duds (tho' to be fair less costly duds) as those they replaced.

I think that one of the big problems for Levein - apart from the small matter of having little or no cash to flash - is lack of familiarity with the much more competitive football environment south of the border.

Bottom line is, who would replace him? Mike Newell anyone?

The question is this. Would we rather give Levein time or move for someone like Mike Newell?

For me? Give it time.

i wondered how long it would take for this.
dont say you werent warned.
what about MDV as boss,at least it would get him off the pitch,surely hed have the brains not to pick himself

alex said:
Bottom line is, who would replace him? Mike Newell anyone?

Why would Mike Newell want to come to Leicester?

Redditch Fox said:
The club is in limbo - for several reasons:

1. No one in their right mind could believe that the squad is capable of promotion - its not about the mathematics its about the lack of quality.

2. Fans are starting to fear that CL has brought in some players who look as much like duds (tho' to be fair less costly duds) as those they replaced.

I think that one of the big problems for Levein - apart from the small matter of having little or no cash to flash - is lack of familiarity with the much more competitive football environment south of the border.

Doesn't every Club go through a period of being in Limbo though unless they are very fortunate.We aren't the only ones in this League with the problem.The two who went down with us (Leeds and Wolves?) are hardly setting the League on fire,not much of a condolence I know but we aren't the only one's 'stuck in neuteral' as it were.

highland fox said:
Doesn't every Club go through a period of being in Limbo though unless they are very fortunate.We aren't the only ones in this League with the problem.The two who went down with us (Leeds and Wolves?) are hardly setting the League on fire,not much of a condolence I know but we aren't the only one's 'stuck in neuteral' as it were.

I don't want to be difficult but I would anticipate both Leeds & Wolves being there or there about at the end of the season. I don't think our position is anything like as good as their's.

The simple matter is that it's time there was some sort of improvement - at the moment there isn't. Clubs either move forwards or backwards and most of us hope that CL is the man to take the club forward - but the jury is out on it.

Wolves maybe,if they keep hold of Hoddle which is no guaranteee but IMO Leeds will be mid table.I see Reading doing well a team who have been building over the past few seasons and have been patient with their manager.It's going to be a very tight League though.I've seen most of the teams on Sky now and none really stood out for me.

Last edited:
highland fox said:
Wolves maybe,if they keep hold of Hoddle which is no guaranteee but IMO Leeds will be mid table.I see Reading doing well a team who have been building over the past few seasons and have been patient with their manager.It's going to be a very tight League though.I've seen most of the teams on Sky now and none really stood out for me.

Well, who knows but I can see Leeds scoring a lot of goals and therefore winning games from now on......whereas, of course, we have got stuck in a pattern of picking up single points which is not a lot of use.

I agree that no team has that much quality .....but that also means that we shouldn't take for granted that we can't be dragged into trouble by the other strugglers.

I think Wolves are the team to compare ourselves with, Hoddle and Levein have both had similar lengths of time at their respective clubs, and based on current performance Hoddle seems to have had a bigger impact on his club, fridays result apart, however IMO Hoddle inherited a club in a lot healthier position both financially and in terms of playing assets, this has allowed Hoddle to tinker with his squad and bring in a small number of players, the quality within that Wolves squad means they should be challenging for the title, whilst CL has come to a club that has little money and a squad that needed massive upheaval so it is has meant that CL has a bigger and longer job on his hands to get Leicester back into the premiership than Hoddle has with Wolves.

The performance yesterday was better and I feel that if Levein can get Smith playing week in, week out and he is brave enough to persist with the Hume / Hammond partnership, which looked very promising, and encourages the team to play high tempo passing football, then it wont be long until we put together a decent run of results. Although at present the results arent very good and that has to improve as invariably that is what Levein will judged on, the performances in general have been ok, except for QPR and Brighton at home which were poor, but I saw signs yesterday that the team is starting to take shape and there were a lot of positives, we dont seem that far away from everything clicking into place.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I think Wolves are the team to compare ourselves with, Hoddle and Levein have both had similar lengths of time at their respective clubs, and based on current performance Hoddle seems to have had a bigger impact on his club, fridays result apart, however IMO Hoddle inherited a club in a lot healthier position both financially and in terms of playing assets, this has allowed Hoddle to tinker with his squad and bring in a small number of players, the quality within that Wolves squad means they should be challenging for the title, whilst CL has come to a club that has little money and a squad that needed massive upheaval so it is has meant that CL has a bigger and longer job on his hands to get Leicester back into the premiership than Hoddle has with Wolves.

And of course, there is no way that Hoddle would have taken on Leicester given the mess things were in - both in terms of being severely financially constrained and with a squad of overpaid, aged players as constructed by Mickey and Basset.

So CL took on an unenviable task....and deserves time to turn things round...which doesn't mean that he is bound to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669