How's the squad shaping up?

I'm concerned that both Soutter and Faes look like championship defenders at the moment. I think this time next year, assuming we're still in the PL, we'll be looking at both of them as money wasted.

Nah Souttar is alright.

Hate to say I told you so...

Terrible business by the club there.

Hate to say I told you so...

Terrible business by the club there.

You don’t really hate to say it or you wouldn’t have said it :)

But yes, shit business if he’s now now not deemed good enough. May end up with all 3 January signings being duds. Makes you wonder how Brenda’s fabled rebuild would have gone if he was allowed to pursue it.

Seriously how is Vestergaard ahead of Souttar in the pecking order?

I was also expecting Faes to leave this window, but I guess maybe he won’t be.

Harsh on Souttar I think. I still remember his hero like performance against Newcastle (but was then be dropped the very next match).

In Enzo I trust. If he doesn’t want to play Souttar that’s fine with me. He obviously has his reasons.

Harsh on Souttar I think. I still remember his hero like performance against Newcastle (but was then be dropped the very next match).

I can't remember that, but I do remember him being horrifically exposed at Southampton away.

I can see Enzo's thinking here. He wants ball at the feet, good passing tyre defenders. Soutter (to my mind) is more of a Huth / Morgan type.

Maresca said there are 6 players in the squad that had said they wanted to leave, but have now come to him to say they'd like to stay.

Wonder who those 6 are?

Praet
Nacho
Vardy?
Daka?
Is Vestergaard one of them?

Yeah, not sure I see that as massively good news. I'm slightly concerned that they've looked at the wages they could get elsewhere and know they won't be as good as they're on.

But hopefully it's because Enzo is a world class manager and they know it - which I think is the subtext he's trying to get across.

Yeah, not sure I see that as massively good news. I'm slightly concerned that they've looked at the wages they could get elsewhere and know they won't be as good as they're on.

Yep. Hopefully they change their minds again.

I think Souttar would be excellent in this league, there are a fair few teams that will play direct and sit deep, he would be useful at set pieces and won't be fazed by some rough stuff.

It's looking like Enzo wants everyone to play football from the back and be comfortable on the ball, this we have found out isn't great when teams just sit back and then hit on the break.

I think Souttar would be excellent in this league, there are a fair few teams that will play direct and sit deep, he would be useful at set pieces and won't be fazed by some rough stuff.

It's looking like Enzo wants everyone to play football from the back and be comfortable on the ball, this we have found out isn't great when teams just sit back and then hit on the break.

It could be he's the one we're most likely to be able to sell. Faes and Vestergaard aren't particularly good on the ball or at defending either but less likely to be in demand. Souttar could be crap for all I know, I've still not seen any of the world cup and he's barely played for us.

It could be he's the one we're most likely to be able to sell. Faes and Vestergaard aren't particularly good on the ball or at defending either but less likely to be in demand. Souttar could be crap for all I know, I've still not seen any of the world cup and he's barely played for us.
Your possibly correct, Vestergard turned down Fulham last season and then I think Berlin in the January window (though he's wife was due to give birth)
I think his wages are the problem with nobody willing to match them and him rightly so unwilling to walk away from a lucrative contract.
So yeah maybe the easiest to shift though not necessarily the one we want to lose is Souttar

Last edited:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564